Kayak trip with non restricted firearm

Jeff117

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going on a kayak/camp trip for 5 days. I'll be camping on crown land mostly.

I'm wondering what laws or of I'm aloud to carry a non restricted firearm in my kayak. Same rules as a car? I tried googling but everything was hunting related, I want for predatory defence if needed
Thanks

Howdy, Jeff, and welcome to the forum.

I paddle on the west coast once a year or so and most of the time have my Ithaca handy. I don't carry it where I'm not allowed - provincial parks mostly - but aside form that have never had an issue at all.

When I'm sitting around the fire, it's with me or nearby. At night it's in the tent. If we go out for a paddle, it comes in the boat with me. It's never really out of my sight.

Where do you plan on going?

Thanks for the welcome. Long time reader first post :)
I'll be in Ontario going down Tay River to multiple lakes. Riduea lake but it's pretty large, has a few main bodies of water..
Basically I was planning on having my rifle the same way you suggested.
When I am on crown land I am aloud to have it loaded as well correct?

Last edited:
Ive carried my 14" mossberg 500 on my kayak before, a lake on crown land i had to 4x4 too. I dont have my core and was not hunting. I also wondered the legalities of having it with me and am curious to find out.

Tagged for interest

Welcome to the forum

Thanks for the welcome. Long time reader first post :)
I'll be in Ontario going down Tay River to multiple lakes. Riduea lake but it's pretty large, has a few main bodies of water..
Basically I was planning on having my rifle the same way you suggested.
When I am on crown land I am aloud to have it loaded as well correct?

Have a good look at the ON hunting regulations.

1. you don't really need a loaded gun in that area.
2. Lots of people in that area which might take exception to you toting around a loaded firearm.
3. No crown land on the Tay
4. also part of a canal system

5. you are asking for trouble

Last edited:
2. Lots of people in that area which might take exception to you toting around a loaded firearm.

^^ X2

if you were going deep in Lanark/Renfrew (North of 7) in spring then yes bring someting with ya.

But you are in Muskoka light land. You'd be better off with a wine/beer bottle opener.

The big rideau is full of kanata high tech people that will call the OPP at the sight of a Red Ryder

4. also part of a canal system

5. you are asking for trouble

I know along the Tay there is no crown. Once I hit riduea lake though there is a large chunk of "general use" crown land. That is where my 1st camp is. There are alot of black bears around. I've seen a dozen just driving to Ottawa.

I know along the Tay there is no crown. Once I hit riduea lake though there is a large chunk of "general use" crown land. That is where my 1st camp is. There are alot of black bears around. I've seen a dozen just driving to Ottawa.

That's great. Black bears aren't dangerous unless you're getting between a sow and her cubs. If you're worried, bring a can of spray - they are much more handy anyways.

I think firearms possession on crown land is governed by what you're doing (hunting, target shooting, etc) and how you're doing it (storage, transport, usage). Transporting or possessing a firearm isn't an offence as long as you are adhering to the law. Having it loaded / handy may look more like poaching and less like protection - Especially in an area in which protection from wildlife isn't considered common.

I think firearms possession on crown land is governed by what you're doing (hunting, target shooting, etc) and how you're doing it (storage, transport, usage). Transporting or possessing a firearm isn't an offence as long as you are adhering to the law. Having it loaded / handy may look more like poaching and less like protection - Especially in an area in which protection from wildlife isn't considered common.

I mean I plan on target practice as well, part of the reason I would like to bring it, legally of course. Protection from wildlife is just another reason. I understand it is very slim to nil to happening but peace of mind I never turn away.

x2 on the bear spray. Not as macho though as a gun.

I wonder what the bears were doing driving to Ottawa. Protesting hunting ?

I often have a loaded shotgun in the kayak especially while waterfowl hunting. However, if I'm only going on a cruising trip there is no need to have it loaded. Chances of a bear attack on water are slim ;)

When putting up camp for the night I load it and have it in the tent. In a park with lots of people I'd keep it locked and wrapped in something that does not look like a gun case so nobody gets offended.

I often have a loaded shotgun in the kayak especially while waterfowl hunting. However, if I'm only going on a cruising trip there is no need to have it loaded. Chances of a bear attack on water are slim ;)

When putting up camp for the night I load it and have it in the tent. In a park with lots of people I'd keep it locked and wrapped in something that does not look like a gun case so nobody gets offended.

Never did I ask if loaded in a kayak was ok. Strictly crown land only.

Back
Top Bottom