Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kayak trip with non restricted firearm

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Alley Dan View Post
    Not sure about that, mate. I've heard Ontario has some weirdness regarding carrying outside of hunting season. Other folks who live there will know better than me.
    the issue is actually "in season" wrong caliber
    The best time to buy a gun was 40 years ago, the second best time is today.

Quote Originally Posted by yomomma View Post
    1. you don't really need a loaded gun in that area.
    2. Lots of people in that area which might take exception to you toting around a loaded firearm.
    3. No crown land on the Tay
    4. also part of a canal system

5. you are asking for trouble
    I know along the Tay there is no crown. Once I hit riduea lake though there is a large chunk of "general use" crown land. That is where my 1st camp is. There are alot of black bears around. I've seen a dozen just driving to Ottawa.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff117 View Post
    I know along the Tay there is no crown. Once I hit riduea lake though there is a large chunk of "general use" crown land. That is where my 1st camp is. There are alot of black bears around. I've seen a dozen just driving to Ottawa.
    That's great. Black bears aren't dangerous unless you're getting between a sow and her cubs. If you're worried, bring a can of spray - they are much more handy anyways.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

I think firearms possession on crown land is governed by what you're doing (hunting, target shooting, etc) and how you're doing it (storage, transport, usage). Transporting or possessing a firearm isn't an offence as long as you are adhering to the law. Having it loaded / handy may look more like poaching and less like protection - Especially in an area in which protection from wildlife isn't considered common.

Quote Originally Posted by DTM5 View Post
    I think firearms possession on crown land is governed by what you're doing (hunting, target shooting, etc) and how you're doing it (storage, transport, usage). Transporting or possessing a firearm isn't an offence as long as you are adhering to the law. Having it loaded / handy may look more like poaching and less like protection - Especially in an area in which protection from wildlife isn't considered common.
    I mean I plan on target practice as well, part of the reason I would like to bring it, legally of course. Protection from wildlife is just another reason. I understand it is very slim to nil to happening but peace of mind I never turn away.

x2 on the bear spray. Not as macho though as a gun.

I wonder what the bears were doing driving to Ottawa. Protesting hunting ?
    “It is not inequality which is the real misfortune, it is dependence.”
    ― Voltaire

CGN Ultra frequent flyer yomomma's Avatar
    Ive heard them near my camp...at night...never needed a gun
    https://youtube.com/c/YomommasWildlands

I wouldn't have a loaded shotgun in the kayak. One ND could end your trip in either a bad way or a really bad way.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I often have a loaded shotgun in the kayak especially while waterfowl hunting. However, if I'm only going on a cruising trip there is no need to have it loaded. Chances of a bear attack on water are slim

When putting up camp for the night I load it and have it in the tent. In a park with lots of people I'd keep it locked and wrapped in something that does not look like a gun case so nobody gets offended.

Quote Originally Posted by riversrest View Post
    I often have a loaded shotgun in the kayak especially while waterfowl hunting. However, if I'm only going on a cruising trip there is no need to have it loaded. Chances of a bear attack on water are slim

When putting up camp for the night I load it and have it in the tent. In a park with lots of people I'd keep it locked and wrapped in something that does not look like a gun case so nobody gets offended.

Never did I ask if loaded in a kayak was ok. Strictly crown land only.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast