Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turning your 12 Gauge Into a 410 Shotgun.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .22LRGUY's Avatar
    would be fun if it was available for 20ga. (Corey 84)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer legi0n's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Are you suggesting these might reduce velocity by a noticeable amount?
    well, 41mag 210gr ammo (1/2oz) doubles it's velocity from 2" to 20" so yes, I expect that

CGN frequent flyer hannibal.black98's Avatar
    Sub gauge inserts are quiet common...they are made for single shot or double barrel shotguns. I have used a 12g to 20g adapter and to me, it shoots just as good as a stand alone 20g shotgun!!!

The ones I used had an o-ring to hold tight into the chamber, had to manually pull out the empty 20g hauls tho.
    Glock people... *face palm* - Valaden (I love it!!!) ---- In NO way and at NO time is your airsoft gun ever a "beast" LOLLL ----
    Team 7.62x51mm - Multicam Black Gang - .45Auto holes > 9mm holes -

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by legi0n View Post
    well, 41mag 210gr ammo (1/2oz) doubles it's velocity from 2" to 20" so yes, I expect that
    I feel like thats not a fair comparison though? Wouldn't the gases start blowing by the wad shortly after the forcing cone, negating the potential increase in velocity caused by a longer barrel? A bullet seals the bore until it exits, which allows the expanding gases to continue to accelerate the bullet until it reaches the end of the barrel but I didn't think shotgun wads seal nearly as well which would make a longer barrel mean less for velocity?
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .22LRGUY's Avatar
    ....thinking about it, a 20ga---28ga adapter would be pretty sweet too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    I feel like thats not a fair comparison though? Wouldn't the gases start blowing by the wad shortly after the forcing cone, negating the potential increase in velocity caused by a longer barrel? A bullet seals the bore until it exits, which allows the expanding gases to continue to accelerate the bullet until it reaches the end of the barrel but I didn't think shotgun wads seal nearly as well which would make a longer barrel mean less for velocity?
    With the 12 ga load the pressure behind the wad is still pushing for the entire length of the barrel. 20" of acceleration gets more fps than 2" of acceleration.
    But i'd expect the 410 wad fired in a 12 ga barrel would not receive that boost in velocity from a longer barrel. Blow by would be quite severe for a .40" wad in a .70" bore.
    Last edited by jethunter; 07-26-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jethunter View Post
    Even if there is blow by (there shouldn't be much if any) the pressure behind the wad is still pushing for the entire length of the barrel. 20" of push gets more fps than 2" of push.
    But it would be incrementally less as it traveled down the barrel.

A sub-gauge wad and cup with a large gap around it would not allow anywhere near the pressure a regular one would. In the case of a .410 insert in a 12 gauge barrel, there would literally be 1/8 of an inch. Laws of physics would dictate that the gas pressure behind the wad would seek and find the path of least resistance ( around the wad). So, unlike actual full barrel inserts like the ones made by Briley, these essentially are relying on a short amount of travel developing pressure, before essentially having the shot and wad bounce around for the remaining 20" worth of barrel.
    People who beat their swords into plowshares wind up plowing for the people who kept their swords in the first place.

Proud member OFAH, DU, CSSA, and NFA

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Do you have 20ga to 410?

by young lad has a 20 and recoil is a bit much at this age.
    The best time to buy a gun was 40 years ago, the second best time is today.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    An interesting test on the effects of barrel length. Doesn't really help here because their shortest barrel is a 20" and they aren't using chamber inserts but there is definitely some additional velocity with a longer barrel.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/barrel-...fect-velocity/

If these are still in stock next time I order from Frontier I'll definitely get one and try to remember to report back.

I'd love to get both a 20ga and 410cal adapter for my single shot. Any plans to bring in a 12ga to 20ga adapter?
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Will these work for .45lc as well?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast