Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 Room Living Gun Storage?

1 Room Living Gun Storage?

I live in a bachelor room. I'm not gonna say bachelor apartment, because it's a room. My building is set up like an apartment building, with a long hallway where there are rooms on either side with a number on their door. There are two shared kitchens and 6 shared bathrooms in the building. Rent is cheap and I'm a young guy so I'm not complaining. There is not a lot of room to put a gun safe in here. Ideally I would get a biometric safe and put it under my bed for my gsg-15, or maybe get one of those hidden safes called tactical walls. the only reason i would go with these options is because i simply do not have the room for a huge gun safe, plus, tactical wall safes are pretty damn cool. but if i cannot fit a safe, does my room count as a locked room? there is only one room in my apartment, because my apartment is a room, my room has it's own address and mailbox, so since the whole thing is a locked room, if i'm storing non restricted am i good as long as i stash my mags in a container? can i just put the firearm in a box under my bed with the trigger locked? what is your recommendation?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar
    Because of your situation I would be leery of doing the legal bare minimum, as it sounds like you could be quite susceptible to theft. If I was you, the least I would do is get a sturdy lockable container for under your bed, in addition to the trigger lock. Ammo in a separate sturdy locked container, hidden from view. And don't go blabbing about it. People can't steal what they don't know you have.

Or an alternate solution is an alternate/secondary storage address, with a family member or someone you trust.

I will keep that in mind and look for a good biometric option. so you are not legally allowed to store ammo and magazines in your gun safe?

I can't relate... I bought my first house at 19. So based on my experience, I would say buy a house, start with 1 safe, move to 3 and then build a vault and use the 3 safes as ammo storage.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gnome75's Avatar
    Lock the rifle in a case and get creative by locking the case with a bike lock or something to the under side of your bed or some other heavy, big or fixed object.

Loaded mags can be stored in the same case if you want

You can just trigger lock your gun and leave it under your bed but just because you can does not mean you should

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriotbrass View Post
    I will keep that in mind and look for a good biometric option. so you are not legally allowed to store ammo and magazines in your gun safe?
    You can store ammunition in your gun safe alongside your firearms. Magazines can be stored anywhere, there's no regulations for them. Unless they're loaded, in which case, store them like ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Garaldtao View Post
    I can't relate... I bought my first house at 19. So based on my experience, I would say buy a house, start with 1 safe, move to 3 and then build a vault and use the 3 safes as ammo storage.
    Well la-de-da, aren't you just a superstar. That's super helpful advice for a young guy that's new to our sport.

Not everyone has the means to purchase a home of their own, I'm sure he would if he could.

A pelican case with a lock is a "safe". If we're talking non-restricted, all you need is to put a trigger lock on it and lean it in the corner. Both of these methods are safe storage by the FA regulations, nowhere in Canadian law is a "Safe" defined. Take it for what internet forum advice is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Garaldtao View Post
    Another idiot who can't spell sarcasm and lack a sense of humour but all is forgiven because after all, you are from the GTA.lol
    Your understanding of sarcasm is poor. This is a Newbie forum, new people looking for help don't need your sad attempt at humor.

Delete
    Last edited by Necro Monger; 12-05-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    CCFR CSSA NFA member because we really need them all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast