Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New prototype: Benelli M4 charging handle

I'm not saying it's a concern, but the one thing I would test is its "whackability"..

It looks aluminum and relatively possibly thin walled. Will it survive an accidental good whack against another gun in the safe (or it being dropped) if someone is careless or will it bend/dent easily.

I personally have no issue with it being aluminum (if that is indeed what it is), but would just make sure it won't cause a headache from strength later on.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    I'm not saying it's a concern, but the one thing I would test is its "whackability"..

It looks aluminum and relatively possibly thin walled. Will it survive an accidental good whack against another gun in the safe (or it being dropped) if someone is careless or will it bend/dent easily.

I personally have no issue with it being aluminum (if that is indeed what it is), but would just make sure it won't cause a headache from strength later on.
    I wouldn't trust aluminum on this piece, I am probably going 4140 or O1 tool steel, still to be determined.

Business Member
    Would you guys prefer a black manganese phosphate (parkerize) or a stainless steel raw look? I'll be making both I think, but would be nice to see how many favour the raw steel look.

Black for me

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post
    Uh...why? Other than being made of a 'cool' material?
    More than a cool material, its weight/strength and anti corrosion properties. Its a 2500 shotgun, "Hey check out my Lambo with stamped steel wheels..."

Quote Originally Posted by Evogun View Post
    More than a cool material, its weight/strength and anti corrosion properties. Its a 2500 shotgun, "Hey check out my Lambo with stamped steel wheels..."
    Size for size a good stainless steel will be stronger than regular titanium. Unless you plan on making the handle twice as big out of titanium so it weighs as much as the smaller steel one to be stronger.. �� (you won't get that unless you understand strength/weight and the weight/volume difference between steel and titanium.

Also titanium does oxide on the outside, as does aluminum like most things metallic. If steel is treated properly there should be no issue.

I just ordered the GG&G bolt handle, and like you said it looks massive, I ordered your bolt release do you think the GG&G will be too big that it will hit the top of the bolt release? Might try it out for now as I didn’t see this first but if it’s too big I will be looking into this one that you have made now.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emshey View Post
    I just ordered the GG&G bolt handle, and like you said it looks massive, I ordered your bolt release do you think the GG&G will be too big that it will hit the top of the bolt release? Might try it out for now as I didn’t see this first but if it’s too big I will be looking into this one that you have made now.
    This charging handle has been delayed a bit, hopefully not to long but it isn't on my priority list at the moment.

one suggestion i would make is make sure there is enough clearance between the bottom of the handle and the side of the receiver so it doesn't drag on the receiver and mark up the finish and cause malfunctions. and make the transition from the stem (part that goes into the bolt) the the base of the knob a radius instead of a sharp 90 degree, it will reduce chance of the knob breaking off the stem under recoil, hard use or a hard bump like if someone dropped the gun
    “... and they who cried: “Appease, Appease!” are hanged by men they tried to please.”

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Sounds like I'm in the minority but I actually like the large size of the GG&G.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast