Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tara 9mm Pistols And FN BDA's

Quote Originally Posted by parabelum23 View Post
    Does the Tara pistol comes with various backstraps and owner manual?
    Mine didn't, from a different retailer. Although it has a punch tool and the backstrap is removable, it does not come with the extras, or a manual.
    http://imgur.com/a/yV9ie7w

I wonder if it would fit my hand. On the Walther PPQ, I have the medium backstrap.

I managed to find a couple of FN BDM 9mm magazines, which although for a later version of the BDA9, wiĺl apparently fit and function fine in the new/old-stock pistol. They weren't cheap at just under $100 CAD delivered apiece, but unfortunately judging by the chatter on US discussion boards that is the "fair" going rate for those 1980s magazines!

Sadly, there appears to be no new source of magazines for the FN BDA9s that Frontier has sourced. More's the pity, as the older BDA9s are supposed to be the best of the 9mm single/double-action "Hi Power" variants, which includes the FN BDA9 and the later BDM.

I'll just leave this BDA9 photo here....

Mark C

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Max Owner's Avatar
    Displaced From South Western Ontario, To GP, Alberta. And back again...... And again.
    Mark; can you say where you got them?

Any left?
    Shooter and Collector (kinda)

Never Forget Best Friends.

Aug 30, 2008.
    Dec 29, 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Owner View Post
    Mark; can you say where you got them?

Any left?
    I got them from a small Canadian retailer named "Canada Brass" based on a Google search. I snagged the only 2 that he had and one of those was used.

There are quite a few BDM mags on eBay, but none of the US sellers I contacted would ship cross-border. Wouldn't hurt to try. Otherwise there are a few US retailers who might ship to a US-based 3rd Party Importer, but by the time you pay the fees, shipping and conversion you will be over $100 per mag...
    Mark C

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Max Owner's Avatar
    Displaced From South Western Ontario, To GP, Alberta. And back again...... And again.
    Thanx.
    Shooter and Collector (kinda)

Never Forget Best Friends.

Aug 30, 2008.
    Dec 29, 2008.

Notwithstanding the current lack of spare magazines, I am surprised that there is not more excitement surrounding the availability of these brand-new 1980s manufactured FN BDA9 pistols. This Single/Double-action design effectively addressess the key shortcomings of the earlier Single-Action-Only Browning Hi Power. It permits a double-action first shot from a Hammer-down posture and facilitates safely lowering the Hammer on a chambered round using a Decocker with Firing Pin Safety. In addition to the mechanical enhancements, conventional wisdom says that the BDA9 is better designed and built than its successor the BDM, which has a peculiar Dual-Mode of operation and counter-intuitive controls.

If the 30+ year-old FN BDA9 lives up to its reputation I can see me selling off my Hi Power Mk 3 in favour of the more flexible and capable BDA9. If Frontier Firearms can just crack the mag shortage problem, they ought to have a real nostalgic hit on their hands!
    Mark C

I got my TARA in the mail this morning - bare bones pistol for sure, but stolid and stiff. My DARE trigger is NOT resetting in dry fire, you need to push it out another 2/3 mm for it to reset, is this normal? There is no manual or documentation, but I don't think the trigger is working correctly. Should I be returning it now, or attempt to 'break it in'?
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

Contributing Dealer Frontier Firearms's Avatar
    If Frontier Firearms can just crack the mag shortage problem, they ought to have a real nostalgic hit on their hands!
    We are down to our last 3 of these. We will be out of guns before we can locate extra mags.

I got a response to the same message I sent in PM - it's not sounding normal, and I'll call into the store tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by xdmer View Post
    I got my TARA in the mail this morning - bare bones pistol for sure, but stolid and stiff. My DARE trigger is NOT resetting in dry fire, you need to push it out another 2/3 mm for it to reset, is this normal? There is no manual or documentation, but I don't think the trigger is working correctly. Should I be returning it now, or attempt to 'break it in'?
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast