Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chiappa Double Badger .22wmr/.410

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nowarningshot's Avatar
    Not the chiappa....the savage 42.

Savage came out with a modern version of the mod 24, the mod 42. Bought one when they first came out in 22lr/410. Perhaps the biggest POS gunlike shaped object I've ever owned. Horrible Tupperware stock, plastic sights, poor materials, design, and workmanship. Worst firearm I ever owned.

Then again model 24 are now mostly $600, hit and miss. Have a cult following well beyond their quality. But what do I know, this am I saw a Salvage Axis, no optic, in the EE for $600. Lol, spell correct, but not far from the truth. Had a Axis in 22-250, it would make second worst firearm I've ever owned.....come to think of it Savage 110 7mag...#3. Seems like.l a pattern.
    A free society must outlaw harming innocent people to function, but when we seek to curtail what all of us can do, rather than holding each of us responsible for what we actually do, we give up on freedom itself.

Hmm, kinda surprised to hear all the troubles with the Chiappa.
    I bought 22wmr/410 last fall and it’s been flawless.
    Excellent peep sight on it and accurate to 50 yards. And the 410 seems to cover any hole the 22 made as well.
    Taken a few skunks and lots of magpies so far.
    Super handy around the place, on the quad etc.

I’m very happy with it.

CGN Regular
    I bought 2 of the 22mag/410 last year. One for myself and one for a buddy. The fit and finish on both were super rough but I got them for $350 each. Both of the 22WMR chambers were so tight you needed a knife or small screw driver to remove the spent cases (mine could be done with the rim or a spent case in a pinch).

The wood was not finished or sanded where the action folded. The peep sights were too large for real accurate shooting at 25 yards. That said, mine shot to similar point of impact for both barrels.

I ended up selling mine to a fellow CGN (I told him of all the issues) and he ended up loving the gun. This gun is what it is! A Merkel…. It is not.

Personally, I have owned 2 Baikal combinations and currently keep my Sever in 22lr over 20g. I love that gun! It shoots as accurate as my CZ 22lr with the 3x scope I mounted and the factory irons are fantastic. I have also taken it clay shooting and have shot clays with the scope on at 1x power. I know, sacrilegious but hey, it works. I previously owned a Baikal 22/410 which also was very accurate and shot to same POI but was a little rough.

I my opinion, for a low end combo, the Baikal is great. Do yourself a favour though. Go to Tradex and get one of the BRNO 305s. Heavy yes, but the quality is amazing and for $400-$500…. Just do it. I have owned a Savage 24 in 30-30/20 but did not care for it at all with the exposed hammer and selector on the hammer.

I quite love combo guns and also have a FAIR in 12/9.3x74r and an Antonio Zoli in 12/7x57r. Both are beautiful and shoot wonderfully. My AZ may end up on The EE though as a few months back I picked up a Drilling in 12x12/7x57r!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123