Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Beginner Grouse/Partridge Gun

CGN Regular
    A .22 rifle or a 20 or 12 guage. A 12 is more versatile, you can hunt waterfowl and deer, moose, bear with it. Get a 3" chamber if you go for a 12 or 20, you can use the 3" with steel shot for waterfowl, and 2 3/4", 6 or 7 1/2 for grouse. Ruffed and spruce grouse are easy to kill and it doesnt take heavy charges of larger shot to take them down. 6s or 7 1/2s are plenty. Look for light game or target loads and that is plenty of shot and power.

Have fun and good luck.

I don't think there is any one perfect gun for grouse. If you plan on shooting the birds on the ground or in trees a 22LR is fine but if you want to be able to shoot them in the air that 22LR is not really going to be of much use. As already mentioned, the 12G is supremely versatile but they can get heavy lugging them around for a full day in the field. I love my 12G Citori but I know some fellows who simply would not want to lug it around all day. A true 20G is perfect as a dedicated upland gun. A 410 would be fine as well but I think a 20G is a little easier and will provide a great chance of success for a beginner. While an old Cooey 84 or 840 are almost always full choke guns I think they make a perfect beginner gun.

Also, I like #7.5, #8 or even #9 shot depending on the area you are hunting. I personally find #6 or larger can be overkill for grouse.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234