Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Grouse/Partridge Gun

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Run whatcha brung. I find shooting them on the ground much more satisfying with a 22 over a shotgun, less meat damage too - I've seen some pretty messed up birds with not much left to eat from close range 12ga blasts. If they flush you're boned though. I keep a single shot 12ga on the front seat of the truck when I'm in the woods, but I prefer to use the 22 if I see em from far enough away.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

I don't know what exactly happened that I lost track of this question and all the replies.

THANK YOU to everyone who chimed in with their opinion. I really appreciate the time and insights from this community.

I ended up buying a BPS .410 Field, brand new from my local gun shop. I wasn't confident taking just the .22 out with my limited shooting skills, and I didn't want the recoil from a 20ga or 12ga, so I opted for the smaller shot gun.

That said, the first bird I got a clean shot at I missed... THREE TIMES. It was absurd. I got a little coaching after that embarrassment and managed a successful hunt a week later getting my first bird. It wasn't the cleanest shot, but none of the breast meat was spoiled so it was good eating! I'm hoping to get out a bunch more before the deer hunter head into the bush and freak me out.

I'm a new convert, loving this whole experience. Thanks for insights. I appreciate them.

I'm pretty cheap when it comes to grouse hunting and use my pellet rifle in .22 caliber. Cheap and quiet. Just head shots. Makes for an interesting hunt.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Papaclaude's Avatar
    If you are even a decent shot - not a crackshot, a 22 is fine. Now, one issue a lot of guys have is they sight in their gun at 25 or 50 yards, and try to pop them at 10. Know exactly how your gun shoots at 10 yards, and stick to that ammo, and nothing else. The vast majority of your shots are within that 10 yard range. Also, when you aim, aim for the baste of the neck. If you're a wee bit high, you take off the hear, and a tad low, you're still in the vitals. I never tried body shots. Too many guys I saw try that had the birds fly away to die somewhere else. If you want to go shotgun, yeah, a 410 is great, but a 12 is a heckuva lot more versatile. Those little 1 1/2 shells you can get all over the place are pretty close to the 410 in performance. Make sure you pattern your gun at 10 yards, just so you know where to aim.

You mentioned you're in NEO. If you're after spruce hens, leave the gun at home and bring a hockey stick or golf club. :-)
    It's important to have a good vocabulary. If I had known the difference between the words 'antidote' and 'anecdote,' one of my good friends would still be alive.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 300Spartans's Avatar
    Cooey 39. The quintessential Canadian partridge gun.
    Liberals really like POOR people, they're making more of them every day. --- Bearhunter (with permission)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brutus's Avatar
    I have used numerous shotguns for rabbits and upland game. Lately I have been using a Springfield CZ combo gun in 22/410. Burris Fastfire with both barrels zeroed for 25 yards.
    Canadian government runs on trans, gays and French speaking women. Let them fight the next war over there.
    Myself i will crack a beer and merely watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I have used numerous shotguns for rabbits and upland game. Lately I have been using a Springfield CZ combo gun in 22/410. Burris Fastfire with both barrels zeroed for 25 yards.
    If I could find a Springfield M6 in stainless I’d buy it ASAP, that or a Scout 24 with a .22/.410 or maybe even .22/20 - love that kind of versatility.

I'm heading out tomorrow for no hunting on Sunday's in Nova Scotia or using rifles on game birds.
    So bought a Cooey 84 in .410.
    It will be my first time hunting we bought an old farm in Cape Breton with some nice land for grouse so going to give it a go and see how it sits with me.
    Have been practising my marksmanship with a Cooey 75 in .22 to get a good feel.
    Just purchased a JC Higgins model 50 in .270 for deer.
    Regards
    Keith
    Last edited by thornett; 10-13-2019 at 02:35 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Though not my main bird gun I take out my Henry lever 410 for grouse and have a lot of fun with it.I also have a few muzzleloading shotguns including Pedersoli mortimer flintlock that are fun to play with as well

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    12 gauge in a pump action and run 2-3/4'' trap loads for Grouse/Partridge and you will be done.
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast