Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Grouse/Partridge Gun

Beginner Grouse/Partridge Gun

Hey everyone,

I got my PAL and Ontario Hunting License in fall of last year. Because I got to it late, I didn't get a chance to do any small game hunting. After I got my license a family member gave me a nice Browning SA-22 takedown. It's a lovely rifle.

My plan is to get out Grouse/Partridge hunting near to where I live in Northeastern Ontario this season, and originally I was planning to take the .22 out and see what happens. Some of my friends around here, though, have suggested to me that unless I'm a good shot (I'm not, I need practice and probably some mentoring/instruction), that hunting grouse with a .22 will be frustrating.

They recommend a .410. I've read some articles and most are saying if you're a bad shot, a .410 isn't the answer.

So, then I'm wondering if I should go to a 20 ga... which begs the question why not a 12 ga and call it over?!

This is all very confusing... seriously.

So, people in the know, I'd love to hear your recommendation and why (or a link to some reading about why) and if you're feeling generous your recommendation as to the best novice shooter bird/small game gun (i.e. brand and model).

My limited research says I should get a Winchester 42 (which I learned is no longer made) or a BPS in a .410 which they no longer make...

HELP!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    Ive shot plenty of grouse with a .22 If you hunt in an area where there are some birds, its easy to get 10 to 20 foot shots. And many times they don't move much if you miss. If your going out specifically for upland birds a 410 would be the ideal choice, or a 20g but not the end of the world if you don't have one.

CGN Regular
    My favourite grouse gun is a Savage Model 24 (not the newer model 42 which are garbage) in 22LR over 410. Best of both worlds.

410 is fine for grouse. They’re pretty dumb and it’s usually no problem getting close to them within a range that a 410 is almost impossible to miss. 22LR is ideal with a bit of practice though. Be weary of a 20 and don’t even bother with a 12 gauge. Name of the game with grouse is meat preservation since they’re so small. A head shot with a 22 is best. Use a 12 gauge and you may as well keep walking as there’s nothing left. 20 gauge are good, but you have to try for a headshot. 410 gives you a little room for error.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jmichelin84's Avatar
    My suggestion is a 22LR rifle if you're looking for a shotgun style a 410 is what I started with I'd still don't like 12 gauge buy use 12 gauge now
    Is it wrong to love the clack clack bang, but wanna run from a click tick lol

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 0faustus0's Avatar
    Hmmmm .... so this would be a gun for upland birds only ... a dedicated upland bird gun?
    Many would probably say that a 20ga is the best upland bird caliber ... and many have a dedicated SxS or over under 20ga just for upland game hunting.

However, is there a chance that in the future you would want to hunt geese, bear or deer .....? Or that you also would like a gun for predator defence .... a bear gun?

I went the 12ga route for those reasons. A 12ga is a very versatile gun .... especially with the wide variety of ammo that is available for it!! For example, I have one 12ga pump shogun that has ghost ring sights ... and it woks nicely for hunting grouse .... but it would also work for shooting a deer or moose out to 100 meters with the right slugs.

However, a 12ga is in general a much heavier gun for carrying around.
    So, if you are walking/hiking all day while grouse hunting ... you will appreciate a lighter gun in a smaller caliber.
    Last edited by 0faustus0; 08-29-2019 at 10:27 PM.

A 12 gauge with cheap low brass shot shells.... that's the ticket.

I use a 410 o/o or a 410 s/s both of which work very good on grouse. Just remember to shot just over their heads, work ever time. Good luck on the hunt.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Butcherbill's Avatar
    I hunt small game (grouse and snowshoe hare) with either a .22 or a 12g pump. All my 12g have removable chokes, and I use barrel lengths from 12.5” up to 20” in length. I never bother with a 28”, it’s such a pain in the ass when I’m hiking or getting through the thick stuff. I don’t find a 12g to be heavy, my one 870 weighs in at 6.5 lbs.

A properly patterned 12g with chokes will do it all for grouse or other small game, I grab it 100% of the time for upland game birds and use the .22 more for hare. I do use the 12g on hare in areas where I’m up close and personal, the .22 when headshots further away are called for. Both work great.

Get some range time in with your 22. Hunting season hasn't started yet, so you have time to get familiar with your rifle. Maybe in the future you'll find a shotgun better suits your needs, but in the meantime, you have a good tool for the job.
    I use my 22 for grouse. Its light to carry on long walks and make for clean kills

CGN Regular
    ..…..
    Last edited by time4t; 10-27-2019 at 05:24 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast