Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How toxic are bullets and shell casings?

How toxic are bullets and shell casings?

I had to leave for the gun range in a hurry, this is really dumb but long story short i brushed my teeth and stuck my toothbrush in my pocket. anyway, so i ended up finishing shooting, i put a bunch of .22lr federal shells and cartridges in the pocket along with some 9mm casings. I bought a new toothbrush out of fear of the toxcicity, long story short i went to brush my teeth but had the old one that touched the cartridges lying around and i brushed my teeth with it by accident. i got the new one out immediately, scrubbed, rinsed, and spat. I am afraid i will get lead poisoining now, not sure how irrational that fear is. how dirty/bad are bullets to the touch, I know to wash my hands after going to the range, but will i get lead poising or cancer in the mouth now? Has anyone experienced similar things? how toxic are bullets

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I cant picture what you did ... toothbrush in the pocket with shells etc? whelp ...

Anyways. lead is poisonous. jacketed bullets are jacketed and have no exposed lead and are harmless. cases are brass and harmless. burnt powder residue is probably nothing I would eat.

having some stuff touch your toothbrush ONCE is likely no big deal. If you are worried you can have a blood test done for toxins and heavy metals. Certain metals can be removed from the blood.

Likely this isnt worth it. Most lead poisoning from shooting happens via air to my knowledge.

When I say harmless, take in mind that nearly all metals are bad for you if ingested or absorbed in enough qty

Matt

Relax, you are not going to die of lead poisoning or mouth cancer from your tooth brush.

CGN Regular
    Man would this dude freak out if he saw me with a spare air rifle pellet or two in my lips for quick reload. You're gonna be okay OP, don't sweat it.

Last edited by JeffEff95; 08-27-2019 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Meant to reply to a comment

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_1982's Avatar
    You’re good, don’t sweat it.
    CSSA and CCFR member

Your screwed.
    Smokeless powder is just a passing fad. #1 gun rule,carry one.

CGN frequent flyer
    As a maintenance mechanic, I would say your ok

If it’s an indoor range you probably ingested more lead from the range than your toothbrush.
    "For me, the action is the juice."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FreedomIsn'tFree's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yail Bloor View Post
    Man would this dude freak out if he saw me with a spare air rifle pellet or two in my lips for quick reload. You're gonna be okay OP, don't sweat it.
    This is how we used to hold a few pellets growing up and I'm okay, some may disagree. I've handled lead fishing weights, tire weights and ammo for almost 50 years now and I'm still alive. We used to play with mercury as kids as well, oh the good old days. I think the need to put your toothbrush in your pocket may be a bigger concern for you.
    Last edited by FreedomIsn'tFree; 08-27-2019 at 08:28 PM.
    It's better to have questions you can't answer, then answers you can't question.
    When you have no property rights, YOU ARE THE PROPERTY!
    WEXIT, IPSC, CCFR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast