Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel install

Barrel install

Hey Dlask/ anyone who has recently done this,

I have recently purchased a Tuff 22 reciever and Dlask sporter barrel for a build and tried mating them using the hot cold method, barrel in freezer for a day, reciever warmed with heat gun and cannot get the barrel to insert at all, any pro tips to help? I really don't want to be beating anything on with a hammer... I'm assuming the super tight tolerance is what lends to the reputation of these bring very accurate.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by 69mach1; 08-29-2019 at 10:36 AM.

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar
    There really is no trick. If there is a coating on the barrel extension it might have to be removed otherwise a few spins on a lathe will be necessary. Dlask will fix that up for you . Don't try to remove metal yourself unless you have a lathe.

Dang. Thanks for responding Frank.

My last build from dlask,
    didnt require much to separate and install the two.

Heat and cold should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by JoKa View Post
    My last build from dlask,
    didnt require much to separate and install the two.

Heat and cold should do the trick.
    Unfortunately she's a no go. I put the reciever in the oven and used a laser thermometer and brought it to 210 degrees and still won't even begin to go inside. The inside diameter of the reciever measures 0.686 and the outside diameter of the barrel extension measures 0.689 so that's pretty close, I'm thinking I might just lightly hit it with some Emery cloth and try again. Thanks guys!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Grizzlypeg's Avatar
    That's way too tight of a fit. If you managed to install that barrel with .003 interference fit you would likely never get it off again.
    NO CONFLICT OF INTEREST TO DISCLOSE “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Cesare Beccaria

Lol hopefully I never have to take it off again! But I agree that's too much, quite possible I would crack the reciever as well, I'll have to see what I can do to take it down.

Uber Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by 69mach1 View Post
    Unfortunately she's a no go. I put the reciever in the oven and used a laser thermometer and brought it to 210 degrees and still won't even begin to go inside. The inside diameter of the reciever measures 0.686 and the outside diameter of the barrel extension measures 0.689 so that's pretty close, I'm thinking I might just lightly hit it with some Emery cloth and try again. Thanks guys!
    Emery cloth is very bad idea!! Not a chance of taking off .003" without ripples or loss of concentricity - see Post #2. From my experience installing bearing races on shafts - you will have one chance to install it all the way, otherwise interference fit will jam and hot parts cool off and cold parts heat up - then in a bind!! I am not familiar with the tolerances required for this kind of installation - just assuming from your description that an interference fit is called for. If it is interference fit, you will not be able to rotate for alignment after seating without cracking something - has to go on straight the first time!

Quote Originally Posted by 69mach1 View Post
    Hey Dlask/ anyone who has recently done this,

I have recently purchased a Tuff 22 reciever and Dlask sporter barrel for a build and tried mating them using the hot cold method, barrel in freezer for a day, reciever warmed with heat gun and cannot get the barrel to insert at all, any pro tips to help? I really don't want to be beating anything on with a hammer... I'm assuming the super tight tolerance is what lends to the reputation of these bring very accurate.

Thanks in advance
    Hi 69Mach1,

All of our custom components are to be fitted by a qualified gunsmith or machinist only. If you need to ask how to fit the barrel then you probably are not mechanically experienced to do it properly and to your end satisfaction. Our products are not unique, all aftermarket barrels will have oversized tenons so the barrel can be fitted tightly and you will have better performance than the factory 'slip fit' barrel. (Slip fit being a hot dog down a hallway in Ruger's case)

We offer free fitting of our barrels if purchased through us, you just need to send it here along with the v-block.

Being a machinist I can tell you that .001" is a TIGHT fit. Trying to shrink fit .003" is really not a good idea....
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

Find a local tool and die company that makes auto motive dies - used to work for one they can do it for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast