Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 68910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Marstar is Back

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kodiakjack's Avatar
    You guys planning to go back up onto the CGN Top Banner ad?

I treat the top of this website like my bookmarks folder lol.
    The Bee does not squander his time trying to explain to the Fly why honey is better than s**t. Each creature is content with the meal laid before them, so the Bee reserves his endeavor for those who know its worth.

I've dealt with Payam a bunch of times over the last few months. Every time, he has been easy to deal with, friendly and professional. Glad to have them back here.
    "Canadians, in this fateful hour, I command you and I trust you to fight as you have ever fought with all your strength, with all your determination, with all your tranquil courage." Sir Arthur William Currie

CGN Regular
    Welcome. Glad you're back.
    Rust Never Sleeps

CGN Regular
    All the best in your future. Canada’s firearm community should be thank full we had a man like JohnOne, who took on the federal agencies to defend the firearms import business/inky

"East of the Rockies, and west of the rest" - Corb Lund
    This makes sense now. I recently bought some parts kits from Marstar and the service was exceptional.

Welcome back. Best of luck to you.
    I'm your huckleberry.

Welcome back! Got my order delivered 2 days ago. Still prompt service.

Honestly, I totally forgot the fiasco from before and kept on ordering. I knew there was a falling out but I'm pretty self centered when it comes to my toys. Hell, I still buy Norc products once in a while and I can't stand commies lol.

Still won't buy Gillette product tho...

CGN Regular
    I`ve purchased several firearms, magazines, ammo etc from Marstar over the last 10 years or so. I stopped buying from them because I disliked the way johnone responded to reasonable questions on CGN, and had no desire to give my business to someone that I find personally distasteful. That being said, now that he`s gone I`ll certainly start buying from them again.

Galilman, inky, rfo1, Thanks for the support!

benwilliam, We've been working on that for a while. Red tape keeps slowing this project down.

rommelrommel, Thanks for taking the time to read the thread.

Kodiakjack, In progress, no eta for the top banner

BAAC, thanks for the kind words, Its always a pleasure.

Chargerguy, thanks for the order and the kind words.

Karnage, Glad to hear the deliveries are going out quickly enough, I've got a few more features to implement on the new site (stamp shipping, int'l sales) and then we'll be hammering down on workflows and speed.

rednekhuntr, Welcome back, Please feel free to contact me directly if there's anything I can help with.

Payam

CGN Ultra frequent flyer NavyShooter's Avatar
    Interesting.

I, for one, am skeptical.

The company has done many useful and some good things over the years. The $399 M-305/M-14S, the $299 1911's, the hundreds of thousands of firearms imported and sold across the country have, undoubtedly, helped to grow our sport. The Ironclad guarantee was proven to work in my case with a NP-34 that I returned many years ago and got a replacement for.

However.

The bridges burned in the 'T2 - converted M1 Garand' fiasco, and the public derision delivered by Johnone to individuals who questioned him were...well...

The patently unsafe to fire Garand Conversions with welded and ground bolt lugs has left a very sour taste in the mouths of many of us in the community.

The very broad brush that has tarnished the MARSTAR name will take considerable effort on the part of the apparent new ownership to turn things around in my eyes, and I'm sure that of many others.

Based on the extant history, I have no intent to change my spending habits to include your business, and I suspect I am not alone in my mistrust.

NS

Useful links and quotes that may explain for those not familiar with some of the history:

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...-Garand-Part-1

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...Italian-Garand

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=194774

"The gunsmith brags on his own website he built 120 rifles in 26 hours, (about 13
    minutes per rifle)... then in an attempt to shift blame, (in a letter which was
    recently posted to CGN), he claims that he in fact did not assemble them.
    pictures of the assembly and his workspace from his site are listed below."

"…these are not Tipo 2 rifles. … there are certainly Tipo 2 modified
    components (i.e. op rod, stocks) … civilian produced barrels… receivers are
    Danish contract rifles. ….

With regards to the barrel. Zero government
    markings (only civil CIL N laser engraved proofing) and highly questionable
    geometry and manufacturing quality. In this example, the barrel was
    under-indexed and incorrectly finished reamed on a lathe, resulting in an off
    –axis, and heavily scored (on one side of the chamber) chamber. … The barrel
    threads are cut not in line with bore axis resulting in a barrel, that when
    matted to the receiver, has a .050” gap along the top where it doesn’t even
    touch the receiver. The barrel has a definite droop that is visible to the naked
    eye. I suspect the barrels were finish reamed as a group to save time during
    assembly. I also suspect they finished them before realizing they were all
    over-headspaced.

The bolt was modified in order to try to compensate for
    the over headspace condition created by incorrect chamber finishing. By welding
    the rear face of each lug and grinding the front face of each, the assembler
    attempted to move the enire bolt forward in the action in order to bring it back
    into spec. this explains why some bolts have also been ground around the forward
    area (in order to fit inside of the chamber ring). A standard, unmodified bolt
    would show excessive and dangerous over-headspace, however welded and modified
    lugs could potentially be a grenade. On the example inspected, the RH lug was
    also not ground in a matting angle to the receiver. It was rounded leading to a
    condition whereby it would have at best, 15-20 locking surface. BTW, anything
    below 80% was considered to be a reject by USGI standards. The new locking face
    is of an unknown hardness and the steel is discoloured (extreme heat from
    welding) in the forward area immediately adjacent to the lugs. The extractor is
    similarly discoloured indicating it was left in the bolt when it was welded and
    ground. This annealing also weakens the bolt lugs and could, over a relatively
    few amount of rounds, allow the headspace to expand as the lugs are peened from
    recoil (that is if they don’t shear off beforehand)."

I will note, I mostly suspect to have my account suspended or be banned for posting this information, however, your prospective customer base should be made aware of the history regarding your company's departure from this site, and all of this information is still in the public domain.
    Last edited by NavyShooter; 09-06-2019 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Added detail.
    One shot one tequilla

Death from a bar....