Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Getting Into Firearms Sport

Suggestions for Getting Into Firearms Sport

Hello Community!

My name is Leon, and I'm considering to get into firearms as my regular hobby (i.e. sport shooting).

I decided to get into it after a visit to a gun range with my friends, where I had a chance to try 9mm and .45 ACP handguns as well as 9mm and .223 rifles. Overall, I did pretty well for the first time (~85% accuracy).

Currently, I reside in Vancouver, BC, and planning to invest 1-1.5K into this hobby at first (including membership at a gun range)

It would be very helpful to get some suggestions regarding the following questions (some of them may be redundant for this forum, so it would be nice to get links to appropriate threads):
    1. I'm planning to take PAL courses (both CFSC and CRFSC). Should I do any preliminary preparation like getting free e-version of course books?
    2. Where would you recommend to take the PAL courses in BC?
    3. Any recommendations about gun range in Vancouver/BC area?
    4. What kind of firearm would be the best to buy at first with regards to price/satisfaction ratio? I noticed that .22 LR is recommended for beginners, however, not sure whether it will satisfy my wants since I did pretty well with 9mm and .45 (I liked the later way more)
    5. What is the best way/place to store a gun (e.g. at home vs gun range)?
    6. Where would you recommend to buy a gun: recommended shops (both online and offline) and location (Canada vs US)?
    7. Any other things I have to take into account before getting into shooting sport?
    8. What gun characteristics should be taken into account before purchase?

I would be very grateful for any information provided! Thank you all in advance!
    Last edited by leontibrechko; 09-03-2019 at 11:50 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    That is a huge list!

A lot of your questions can be answered by taking your CFSC and CRFSC. Go with a reputable firm, like Silvercore. Do yourself a favor and take both courses together. The cost will be around $200 for the weekend. If you have common sense, you won’t need any pre-study to take the course. It’s basic and straight forward. Just pay attention to the safety aspects as well as the legal aspects of the course.

Between taking the course, applying for your license (R/PAL), maybe joining a club and getting your license, it may take months. This will give you lots of time to ask your remaining questions here on the appropriate forum. And also get your approval to join the Equipment Exchange (EE) which will open the doors to a wonderful world of all types of guns that you can buy.

And you will need lots of money if you get deep into this hobby!
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    Welcome, ask your local gun shop who gives courses, 22's are cheaper to shoot, but larger calibers are more fun in my opinion.
    Store your guns at home, according to the regulations.
    Buy your gun anywhere in Canada, as most of the shops have free shipping if you meet the minimum purchase which most firearms do.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar
    I recommend buying out of province to avoid PST, if you're looking to get the best bang for your buck. Only downside is nothing is tangible online, but there are quite a few gun shops in Vancouver with a nice selection of inventory. Can get a feel for things there.

Best advice I can give when purchasing a firearm is to check out reviews. See what others have to say. If it sounds good to you, next step is to actually get some hands-on time with it, either at a store or a range. Only then make the purchase. It sucks to spend money on something only to find it doesn't work for you. Saving grace is so long as you take care of it, firearms don't depreciate too much in value, so you can always sell it to fund the purchase of another.

^^^^^ OP doesn’t have a license yet so unlikely a store will let him touch a firearm.

Better if he went to The Range in Langley or DVC and rent some during quieter times so he can pick the brains from the staff on recommendations.
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer btabin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Still alive View Post
    ^^^^^ OP doesn’t have a license yet so unlikely a store will let him touch a firearm.

Better if he went to The Range in Langley or DVC and rent some during quieter times so he can pick the brains from the staff on recommendations.
    So silly how some stores enforce that rule. The staff has their PALs and you'd be under their direct supervision, so it's all gravy in the eyes of the law. Thankfully it's mainly just the chain stores with the asinine rules.

Quote Originally Posted by btabin View Post
    So silly how some stores enforce that rule. The staff has their PALs and you'd be under their direct supervision, so it's all gravy in the eyes of the law. Thankfully it's mainly just the chain stores with the asinine rules.
    Ain’t it true? Yet he can go rent a gun with no license and actually shoot it with no issues!
    CCFR CPC

BANNED
    Get the free PDF books on the course and study them maybe checkout some local ranges and watch for awhile and ask a lot of questions at the range ..most don't mind visitors..

CGN Regular
    Have a look at the price of ammunition too. I just bought a .22 handgun to dilute the amount of 9mm I was firing at the range each visit, and 9mm is cheap comparatively. Having said that, I still want a .357 magnum revolver as the next handgun.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by btabin View Post
    standing on the other side of a counter (while chatting with/serving other customers) doesn't exactly fit the definition of the "direct supervision", does it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast