Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taccom 2022

Taccom 2022

I don't really take a lot of pics these days but I kinda walk around to see if anything that is worth mentioning. So here is my top 3 + a bonus ( in no particular order)

Item 1:

Black Creek Lab - Glockish pistol

Yes, another Glock clone but this one is aluminum. Why is it in the top 3 - well, original glock is fat and blocky because in 1980 they decided plastic magazine shell and metal liner would be a major cost cutter ( woohoo, we don't need to stamp metal!! we can mold everything! ) . So it ends up they need some thickness in the frame to house those equally thick magazines. Guys and gals with small hands and shorter fingers are having major issue with Glock because the squarish ridge line right behind the trigger pushes the finger out - there is zero room for small hands to steal extra space to have a proper engagement on the trigger face.

The owner of BCL has small hands - we are of the same size. So he understands the problem with Glock. Because aluminum can be thinner, they could chamber down that ridge line - yes, it makes a world of difference. The grip angle is also slightly different to give that extra trigger reach.

This is one well thought out Glock frame. Not sure they will put this in production - but I think they will have market outside of Canada as well.

Name:  BCLGlock.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  102.9 KB

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mrsmitty's Avatar
    Looks nice. If they had been available during this madness I am sure they would have sold thousands

Item 2:

Sterling Arms R18

Before seeing this in real life , I was bit - hmm, OK, looks alright just by the pictures. When I first saw the pictures I like the barrel trunnion and handguard interface, which I saw at Nemo arms many many years ago. The way it was designed won't allow the handguard to torque the barrel nut, which 99.9% of AR handguards do.

The one thing that I always question about the long gas system and long push rod is the issue of misalignment - simple math, for the same angular distance a longer rod will have actual larger linear distance than a shorter rod, this means gas block and receiver alignment needs to be more on ( hey why is my guide rod shearing again? )

I don't think JR brought this up as some sort of feature, but when I raised the question he showed me the push rod in the R18 is actually an articulated design. Section of the rod is self adjusting somewhat. This is some good well thought out design to address some common issues. I must say my confidence in the system is much higher after seeing this.

The regular version seems to host a barrel in the 0.75" to 0.8" ish dia - so they follow the gold standard laid out by HK and Colt canada. It is obvious the R18 has ambition for the EU market, so it is not aiming for a low cost solution in a singular Canadian market, yes, guns are more expensive in the EU.

Name:  R18.jpg
Views: 1903
Size:  147.4 KB
    Last edited by greentips; 09-11-2022 at 08:59 AM.

Item 3

Crusader Arms Templar

The first version sentinel ( I always think of the drone ) looks blocky in pictures but in real life it isn't really, it is pretty obvious evolution number 1.

Templar is evolution number 2. Remember how the linkage - AR18 to G36 to HK433/CAR/APC/CZ Bren2/works? Templar is kinda an aluminium version of something in between AR18 and HK433 if HK decided plastic was a fad back 1990.

The "something in between AR18 and HK433" comment has to do with retaining the twin guide rod of the AR18 instead of a single recoil spring. Obviously, the G36/HK433 design is much more efficient because of a single recoil spring behind the bolt carrier. The bolt carrier just run on the ledges inside the receiver. If you think about part count 2X rods and 2X springs with a spring loaded end plate is much complicated than HK433/CAR/APC/CZ Bren2.

But I suspect the major reason here is that there is a certain requirement to keep it an "AR180" for legal reasons. So Crusader Arms has pretty much done close to the best that anyone can do - If anyone wants a K433/CAR/APC/CZ Bren2 but somehow it needs to stay as an AR180 without crossing that line. And you can see there are efforts put into the design, many attempts to incorporate the best of HK433/CAR/APC/CZ Bren2 but keeping it AR180.

There are also small things like thumb activated bolt catch. So yes, I am happy to see that the local industry is moving from "copying" to "evolving" designs. But I suspect evolution number 3 will shred even more AR180'ish things.

Name:  Templar.jpg
Views: 1901
Size:  133.0 KB
    Last edited by greentips; 09-10-2022 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post
    I don't really take a lot of pics these days but I kinda walk around to see if anything that is worth mentioning. So here is my top 3 + a bonus ( in no particular order)

Item 1:

Black Creek Lab - Glockish pistol

Yes, another Glock clone but this one is aluminum. Why is it in the top 3 - well, original glock is fat and blocky because in 1980 they decided plastic magazine shell and metal liner would be a major cost cutter ( woohoo, we don't need to stamp metal!! we can mold everything! ) . So it ends up they need some thickness in the frame to house those equally thick magazines. Guys and gals with small hands and shorter fingers are having major issue with Glock because the squarish ridge line right behind the trigger pushes the finger out - there is zero room for small hands to steal extra space to have a proper engagement on the trigger face.

The owner of BCL has small hands - we are of the same size. So he understands the problem with Glock. Because aluminum can be thinner, they could chamber down that ridge line - yes, it makes a world of difference. The grip angle is also slightly different to give that extra trigger reach.

This is one well thought out Glock frame. Not sure they will put this in production - but I think they will have market outside of Canada as well.

Name:  BCLGlock.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  102.9 KB

Held this while I was at the BCL booth. It’s very nice in the hands. It just feels right. Had a chat with Rob about why they can’t push these out and it’s sad what our government is doing to people trying to run an honest business. Will be supporting and purchasing this piece when it comes out for sure.

Also if you own a bison hit up the booth for a free magazine.

Awesome firearm, is this gun presently legal to own and shot? Not part of ban? The Templar from Crusader

Awesome firearm, is this gun presently legal to own and shot? Not part of ban? The Templar from Crusader

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Beegner View Post
    Still legal, and also non-restricted!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Greentips, having handled both the Templar and R18, from an ergo and "feel" perspective, do you have a preference?

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Greentips, having handled both the Templar and R18, from an ergo and "feel" perspective, do you have a preference?
    If you look at the lower receiver design, there is almost no difference in the grip area and thickness, because they have both thinned down the receiver to use type AR FC.

For people with short eye relief sight like ACOG and Elcan, as well as low power magnifier with eye relief in the 1.5 to 2.5" range, watch out how far back you have to place the optic. Excessive cut out at the back eliminate the position, and wont' allow any space for BUIS. R18 is better than Templar in this area. My assessment is that Templar will not work well with ACOG 4X32. This is a moot point for most with longer eye relief LPVO using cantilever scope mount. This is a common AR18 baggage and hence HK433/SCAR/APC/CZ Bren2 use the stock to hold the recoil spring in stead of using the recoil system spring pressure as an upper lock up mech.

In terms of manual of arms the R18 does have an edge for most common IA I can think of. It is more ambi .

Templar also has a heavier BGC than average - this is because most BGC of this type of gun like CZ Bren2 would have hollowed out the back end to accept a single recoil spring guid. The templar BGC retains the AR18 twin rod system, that typical hollow part of the BCG is closed off in the templar. hence the BGC of templar is heavier than Bren2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast