Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stirling.....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzadigest View Post
    What's wrong with 6061?
    It's softer than 7075-t6 so technically it will wear faster but the 6061 will still suffice as long as it's properly anodized to surface harden. Most civilian owned firearms will never see a high enough round count for the aluminum type to make any difference.

If the 6061 is simply Cerakoted instead of anodized then that becomes a different story.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Tengoo's Avatar
    Will/are the receiver sets fully DPMS compatible? Got a bunch of parts...
    "Pity the poor opponents of the right to keep and bear arms! They must distrust just everybody except criminals and except
    the tyrant to whom they concede the armed monopoly of their protection." -- Pierre Lemieux [LIBERTY Magazine Nov. '97]

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengoo View Post
    Will/are the receiver sets fully DPMS compatible? Got a bunch of parts...
    100% compatible with DPMS parts. :-) The whole plan was to make this as non-proprietary as possible.

Made of 6061.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Lee Enfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    It's softer than 7075-t6 so technically it will wear faster but the 6061 will still suffice as long as it's properly anodized to surface harden. Most civilian owned firearms will never see a high enough round count for the aluminum type to make any difference.

If the 6061 is simply Cerakoted instead of anodized then that becomes a different story.

In an AR pattern firearm, there is very little to choose between the 2 materials - the AR15/M16 thru M16A1 family was all manufactured from 6061-T6, M16A2 family is manufactured from 7071-T6 material.

All the misinformation regarding what anodizing is/does is really harshing my mellow:

Anodizing does not "harden" or "strengthen" in a manner similar to "case hardening" or "carburising" steel.

Hardening 6xxx and 7xxx alloys requires two steps—solution heat treating and aging. This process is called precipitation hardening.

Anodizing is similar to "phosphating" (ie. "Parkerizing"), "bluing" or "browning" steel, ie. building a controlled layer of corrosion which is used to protect or seal the underlying material from further corrosion.

"Aluminium alloys are anodized to increase corrosion resistance and to allow dyeing (coloring), improved lubrication, or improved adhesion (of a surface coating). However, anodizing does not increase the strength of the aluminium object."

Ceracoat does exactly the same job - in some cases better than anodizing.
    Last edited by Lee Enfield; 09-17-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    BSN from the Republic of Alberta

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/

thank you
    Dear Justin...I'm from BC...a few years ago your Dad gave us the finger, we would like to give it back...

"SUCK MY FAT ONE YOU CHEAP DIMESTORE HOOD"

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post
    In an AR pattern firearm, there is very little to choose between the 2 materials - the AR15/M16 thru M16A1 family was all manufactured from 6061-T6, M16A2 family is manufactured from 7071-T6 material.

All the misinformation regarding what anodizing is/does is really harshing my mellow:

Anodizing does not "harden" or "strengthen" in a manner similar to "case hardening" or "carburising" steel......

Ceracoat does exactly the same job - in some cases better than anodizing.
    Thank you. This is 100% correct.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Tengoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    100% compatible with DPMS parts. :-) The whole plan was to make this as non-proprietary as possible.

Made of 6061.

JR
    Excellent... I think the only major part I need to build a whole rifle is a BCG. Of course the parts I have are mostly cast-offs from other 308 ARs I've tinkered with, but I can live with that...
    "Pity the poor opponents of the right to keep and bear arms! They must distrust just everybody except criminals and except
    the tyrant to whom they concede the armed monopoly of their protection." -- Pierre Lemieux [LIBERTY Magazine Nov. '97]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234