Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Application taking too long? TRY THIS !!!!!!! Mandamus

Update:

I got a call from the CFO today informing me that my application was approved and reminding me to keep the peace and be of good nature. Only took them 25 months, but hey, at least they're screening people, right?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer yodave's Avatar
    glad it all worked out for you, I've shot with people that deserve to have the privilege and I've shot with people that snuck through the cracks and really shouldn't have been granted the privilege, every province is different but even so it should only take 30 days max to approve or deny an application.
    If you private message me and don't get a reply within 24 hours there is a good chance you've earned a spot on my ignore list

Friends don't let friends drive fords

I havent seen this, however some laws have an a time limit identified to issue permits. Has anyone seen such a time limit in the Act?

Hey RYoung, I too am in the same boat, coming up to 16 months. I feel your pain. Would you mind including me in any further updates?

Cheers!

Never mind, I just saw that you were approved! Congrats man!!

Quote Originally Posted by yodave View Post
    glad it all worked out for you, I've shot with people that deserve to have the privilege and I've shot with people that snuck through the cracks and really shouldn't have been granted the privilege, every province is different but even so it should only take 30 days max to approve or deny an application.
    Thank you. Yes, there are some that do slip through the cracks, or pick up bad habits. And I agree that the application review should be limited, however, I do believe that they should be allowed to prolong the time to review if red flags are raised, and they should call you and keep you updated, instead of leaving you in the dark and have you spend 45 minutes on hold to ask a question, only to be given a very vague response. Oh well, I guess we just have to ride the boat we're on and hope the tide changes, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Steverz View Post
    Hey RYoung, I too am in the same boat, coming up to 16 months. I feel your pain. Would you mind including me in any further updates?

Cheers!

Never mind, I just saw that you were approved! Congrats man!!
    Steverz, It's a rough go. I got this really nice woman answer the phone about a month ago, she listened to me, I told her I just wanted to go hunting, I've been waiting for ages, told her someone told me about a writ of mandamus, and I didn't want it to go to court, but 2 years is an insane amount of time to wait. About a month passed and I got a call from the CFO saying they wanted to talk to me. I don't know if it was the note the kind woman left for the CFO, or if it was the mention of the writ of mandamus that got the CFO to call me, but they did. We had a bit of a chat, he said he'd review our conversation, call my references if he feels it's necessary, then hopefully have an answer. a few weeks later, he's calling to inform me it was approved. It's a massive weight off my shoulders, and I'm glad it's off. I'm sure you've heard them say there's been a surge in applications and it's slowing down the office. It's possible that's what's prolonging the process, but if you got a squeaky history, no problems or anything like that, it shouldn't be much longer. Best of luck.

@RYoung - Happy and a bit jealous you finally got approved. I hope mine does not go that long. They have had my app since March 21 2019. I called them once a few days after it appeared online (April 11 2019) just to make sure all was well. Was told all was good and just waiting for picture to be scanned.

Called the BC CFO in June and was told it would be "at least" two more months. But now going on over 4 months since then and nothing moving. I have nothing violent on my CPIC. Just a theft charge from almost 40 years ago.(1982) One thing that i wonder about is if they ran the VPD record check, did they get anything? (like i said only thing in CPIC is from 40yrs ago) But several years ago i had to get a clearance for work. When i picked up from VPD i was confused by seeing some recent charges. Turns out there is someone with a similar name to mine. They gave me the wrong record. Just wonder if they did the same thing for the firearms program.

When the CFO called you, what kind of questions did they ask you? How long was the call?

Fill out an access to info. Request, using an ID as proof so you don't have to pay.

Enquire into what data Rcmp has on you.

Within a few months at most you will get a PDF CD in the mail

Quote Originally Posted by Blintok57 View Post
    @RYoung - Happy and a bit jealous you finally got approved. I hope mine does not go that long. They have had my app since March 21 2019. I called them once a few days after it appeared online (April 11 2019) just to make sure all was well. Was told all was good and just waiting for picture to be scanned.

Called the BC CFO in June and was told it would be "at least" two more months. But now going on over 4 months since then and nothing moving. I have nothing violent on my CPIC. Just a theft charge from almost 40 years ago.(1982) One thing that i wonder about is if they ran the VPD record check, did they get anything? (like i said only thing in CPIC is from 40yrs ago) But several years ago i had to get a clearance for work. When i picked up from VPD i was confused by seeing some recent charges. Turns out there is someone with a similar name to mine. They gave me the wrong record. Just wonder if they did the same thing for the firearms program.

When the CFO called you, what kind of questions did they ask you? How long was the call?
    Thank you. I'm sure having someone with the same name will cause some confusion. Happened when I bought my truck, and to this day, they still mix me up with the other 3 people with the same first and last name as me.
    But when the CFO called, I had to verify I am who I am, just like calling into the call center. They then asked if I'm working, who I work for, if I use drugs or alcohol, if I have any history of mental illness, etc. Then asked what happened to have a peace bond issued to me. I explained what happened, he then asked "what have you done to prove to me that you are worthy of having your application approved?". I told him I'm trying to move on from that dark chapter of my life, focusing on myself and the career path I've chosen. He said he would review our conversation, call my references if he feels it's necessary, then have a decision soon.
    It was a massive weight off my shoulders to hear him say it was approved. I'm not sure what the call center rep writes down on the notes to the CFO, and I'm wondering if mentioning that I've been invited out hunting, or even mentioning the writ of mandamus made a difference, but it couldn't hurt to ask them to throw that info at the rep and hopefully they'll pass it onto the CFO. Who knows. But I wish you the best of luck.

Did you receive your license in the mail yet? I wrote the BC CFO a letter (been waiting since March 2018) and the next week I got approved (Oct 2nd). But I'm still waiting for my license to arrive so I don't know what gives...

Quote Originally Posted by Silencio View Post
    Did you receive your license in the mail yet? I wrote the BC CFO a letter (been waiting since March 2018) and the next week I got approved (Oct 2nd). But I'm still waiting for my license to arrive so I don't know what gives...
    I got my license in the mail 1 week after I received the call from the CFO. Which is odd, I thought it would take longer since it was remembrance day long weekend. Unless it was approved before the CFO called me?? I'm not sure. But if you're really eager to buy something, you can call in, ask for your license number and expiration, and buy online.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast