Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Application taking too long? TRY THIS !!!!!!! Mandamus

Application taking too long? TRY THIS !!!!!!! Mandamus

So, I'm closing in on 24 months waiting for my PAL/RPAL being approved. I passed both practical courses and written with 98% each. I filled out my application honestly and even included that I had a peace bond issued to me 3 years ago (from time of taking the course) and if they had any questions to contact me. I call in monthly to my local (BC) CFO, and I'm told the CFO has it, They're swamped with applications, it's gone off for additional screening, it shouldn't be much longer please be patient, etc. etc. So I emailed the CCFR to see if they have any suggestions. They suggested I try to contact my local MP, which I had already done. They suggested if email doesn't work, to try showing up in person. If talks with my local MP don't work out, then I could take the RCMP to court. I asked what I would take them to court over. This was their response:
    "The legal action would be an application called Mandamus, literally a court order to the RCMP to do their statutory duty/government function (in this case giving you a decision on your PAL application instead of continuing to sit on it). You would need an administrative law lawyer, or a senior civil litigator, in your jurisdiction for this. Hopefully an in-person visit to your MP’s office will be fruitful and you can avoid having to resort to legal measures. This is why we need an ombudsman for the CFP.

I wish you the best of luck in your quest!"

I have not yet confronted the CFO with this knowledge yet, but next week when I call in to check on the status of my application, I will inform them that I know of this order, and if I do not hear from them by October 31st, I will seek legal guidance on getting this order to court so I can FINALLY get an answer.

I hope this helps. Spread the word. Keep this post near the top to help newbies who are frustrated and looking for help.

CGN frequent flyer
    thank you and godspeed.
    CCFR Member

CGN Regular
    If you waited 2 years already, why give them another month? Also, probably not a good idea to threaten the rcmp with anything - just take them to court and say your case there.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RYoung View Post
    I have not yet confronted the CFO with this knowledge yet, but next week when I call in to check on the status of my application, I will inform them that I know of this order, and if I do not hear from them by October 31st, I will seek legal guidance on getting this order to court so I can FINALLY get an answer.
    Ya I'm sure you'll have the girl answering the phone shaking in her boots

GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by jza View Post
    Ya I'm sure you'll have the girl answering the phone shaking in her boots
    Well, nobody will be shaking in their boots but she will pass the message up and somebody will probably dig his application out of the pile and action it.
    I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by Lookingforantiques View Post
    If you waited 2 years already, why give them another month? Also, probably not a good idea to threaten the rcmp with anything - just take them to court and say your case there.
    I want to give them a chance to do the right thing and do their job so I don't have to drag them to court and go through all that crap. Also, perhaps their waiting on the election results to see if we have a pro-gun or anti-gun government. Also it's not so much a threat, since it's just me saying, "I know how to make you do your job since you're not doing it". It's not like I'm threatening to break their legs or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by aglo View Post
    Well, nobody will be shaking in their boots but she will pass the message up and somebody will probably dig his application out of the pile and action it.
    My plan exactly. The person answering the phone could care less what I have to say, but the CFO who reads that letter might have a skip in his heartbeat when he realizes his vacation is over and it's time to get back to work.
    Last edited by RYoung; 09-20-2019 at 01:33 AM.

If you waited 2 years, maybe take it a sign as you not getting it? Because I got mine in a month.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by OkayShooter View Post
    If you waited 2 years, maybe take it a sign as you not getting it? Because I got mine in a month.
    I've searched a few different forums and found that one person waited 33 months. Mind you, he did move provinces, so I'm thinking that put a dent in the process. But the online status for my application still reads "Your application is in progress" and every time I call the CFO's office, I'm told that the CFO has it and to please be patient. I'm hoping they're not giving me false hope, but if they are, I'll find out one way or the other by mentioning the writ of mandamus. I'm just hoping I don't need to take them to court to squeeze an answer from them.

CGN Regular
    Threat

/THret/

noun

a statement of an intentional action on someone in retribution for something done or not done.

An update:

I did call the CFO's office yesterday morning. a very bright, happy woman answered my call, I gave here my info so she could pull up my file as requested. She told me the CFO is looking at it. I told here I've been waiting for almost 2 years. She asked if there was anything that would be of concern? I told her that I had a peace bond issued, but that was years ago and I disclosed it on my application. Other than that, no violence or weapons charges or anything of that nature. She told me they're usually quite thorough with newer applicants. Often, they will need to confirm information or acquire more information from other departments, which could prolong the process. I told her that I've been on the forums, and I've seen people getting their license recently within a couple of months and that I've been told I should get a writ of mandamus. I told her I don't want to have to take them to court, but 2 years is a stupid amount of time to be waiting and all I want to do is go duck hunting. I told her how my bosses want to take me out, and I got my hunters number last year, and the last thing I'm waiting for is my PAL so I can supply my own firearm and ammo. She said that she will include that in her note to the CFO, and once they read it, they should do something sooner than later. She followed the call up by telling me not to hesitate should I need to get in touch with them and to keep calling for updates.

I was thinking about giving them a deadline and how that might make them see red and stamp my application with the "declined" stamp. So I made them aware of my discomfort, I told them that I was told about mandamus and that I don't want to have to take that route, and I told them my intentions loud and clear. I've done pretty much everything I can do without spending more money and resources by taking them to court or protesting or anything like that. I just hope they pick up their heels. Duck season is quickly approaching.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast