Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is why you should insure your parcels.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by FAQMAT View Post
    The dealer pay nothing for the insurances. The insurance fees are charged to the customers on the value of their shipped items.
    No, the dealer pays. He can choose to charge it piece by piece to his customer, hide it in its gross margin, or take the risk himself. It's worth taking the risk.

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar
    I can tell you that it is definitely not worth taking the risk. The customer will be out 2,000. for his ruined gun. I can't afford to be out 2 grand. And in my business, a 2,000. loss would take a huge amount of billable work to erase the loss. All to save a few dollars. Not smart.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyQC View Post
    No, the dealer pays. He can choose to charge it piece by piece to his customer, hide it in its gross margin, or take the risk himself. It's worth taking the risk.
    The insurance isnt a business expense to lose out on... it is directly covered by the customer per order. If CPost KO's a package then the business is re imbursed to send another package to the customer. No loss to the dealers bottom line.

You say for every 100k, it pays Cpost 2250. Well... lets say the customer doesnt pay, and nor does the company...take the risk as you say... now each customer saves 2.25 per 100 spent and the dealer pays out 2k on a KO'd rifle. A total loss for the company.

Lets say the dealer decides to save the 2.25/100 to the customer and pays it themselvs....ok they lose 250 at the end of the year. Or they lose 2250 if nothing happens.

Now lets say Cpost KO's 2 rifles in the 100k... now the company loses 1850....or 4000 if no party is paying insurance.

So the dealer can hide the 2.25/100 in the cost of the item... or tell the customer upfront youre paying 2.25/100 for insurance. Otherwise, its all loss for the dealer to save a customer a 2.25/100.
    Last edited by fiftycalforsquirrels; 09-21-2019 at 08:15 PM.

I suppose the dealer could charge 2.25/100, not insure through Cpost, and after 100k the dealer would have 2250 in free money. Thats all fine an dandy till Cpost KO's more than 2250 worth of merchandise in 1 year. Or, if they make off with no issues then Cpost doesnt get 2250 in free money and the dealer instead is making free money.

I sent a return package to Montreal...last track was Mississauga never got to Montreal.
    Got a reply from Canada Post today...this is some of it....

Thank you for contacting Canada Post about the item: ###########.

If there is any further issue with this item, please advise the company to
    contact us because it is under their contract with Canada Post that postage and
    insurance was paid since you used a pre-paid label to send your item.
    Therefore, they are technically the sender, although you shipped the item back
    to them.

Now we will see what happens

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    Good freaking luck. I had to fight with them for over 6 months just to get insurance paid out on an ACOG that was stolen during transit with photographic evidence that the box arrived empty at the recipients post office.
    It's still worth it for 6 months wait for 2000$ insurance payout

Uber Super GunNutz hunterhenderson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HalifaxArmyNavyStore View Post
    When we mail anything to a customer, we automatically include insurance for full value of the item in the shipping quote.
    That sometimes makes our shipping seem expensive, but today we learned the hard way that the $2.25-per-$100 insurance is absolutely worth it.

We received in the mail a rifle, with a new stock mounted on it.
    However, once we opened the parcel it turned out that the stock has been cracked at pistol grip, rendering it inoperable. Luckily the item was FULLY insured for the $2000 it is worth, not just for the standard $100.

Needless to say we are not impressed, but are curious to see how Canada Posts' insurance claim process works.

Attachment 307080

Attachment 307079

Attachment 307081
    stock looks like a cheap one
    “Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”
    ― Albert Einstein

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiftycalforsquirrels View Post
    I suppose the dealer could charge 2.25/100, not insure through Cpost, and after 100k the dealer would have 2250 in free money. Thats all fine an dandy till Cpost KO's more than 2250 worth of merchandise in 1 year. Or, if they make off with no issues then Cpost doesnt get 2250 in free money and the dealer instead is making free money.
    Actually, VinnyQC makes a valid point.

CP wouldn't set their prices for insurance low enough to LOSE money on it. With enough volume shipped you'll pay more for insurance than it saves you long-term, unless your packages get damaged at higher-than-average rates.

In fact, my buddy's dad used to work for a very large insurance company. A nation-wide company with many employees in many provinces, most of whom had company cars - leased vehicles that got traded in at 120 000 km. And how much coverage do you think they put on that fleet of hundreds if not thousands of company cars? Nadda. No additional coverage. Whatever the basic legal minimum is and thats it, because they are in the insurance game, they know that to make money with insurance you need to charge more than you pay out long term.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

I mailed a parcel the other day and asked for fragile stickers and the lady said they don't have them because they don't need them. Canada post treats all their parcels the same.
    Kid you not.

In my dealings with C Post, they will not cover damage. If it’s damaged you didn’t package it right is their explanation. Missing parcel is another matter but let’s be honest that’s a very rare occasion with tracking numbers. I’ve had rifles with 3 cracked stocks at the wrist over the years. They never took responsibility even after providing before and after pics.

As for parcel care in shipping, a good friend of mine is a postmaster. She sees packages being thrown from trucks onto loading docks. Due to that, now any optics I sell are “as is” once shipped.

But, I hope you do better with them in this circumstance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast