Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is why you should insure your parcels.

Expired Business Member

This is why you should insure your parcels.

When we mail anything to a customer, we automatically include insurance for full value of the item in the shipping quote.
    That sometimes makes our shipping seem expensive, but today we learned the hard way that the $2.25-per-$100 insurance is absolutely worth it.

We received in the mail a rifle, with a new stock mounted on it.
    However, once we opened the parcel it turned out that the stock has been cracked at pistol grip, rendering it inoperable. Luckily the item was FULLY insured for the $2000 it is worth, not just for the standard $100.

Needless to say we are not impressed, but are curious to see how Canada Posts' insurance claim process works.

Name:  Garand damage1 small.jpg
Views: 2919
Size:  73.2 KB

Name:  Garand damage2 small.jpg
Views: 2906
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  Garand damage small.jpg
Views: 2909
Size:  47.5 KB

CGN Ultra frequent flyer phillyblt's Avatar
    Damn that's crazy. Did they run over it with a fork lift? I get it all insured if I have the option. Even for $20 parts. Poor rifle
    Don't miss... I won't...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Good freaking luck. I had to fight with them for over 6 months just to get insurance paid out on an ACOG that was stolen during transit with photographic evidence that the box arrived empty at the recipients post office.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

and if its insured Canada Post will ask you to PROVE it was not damaged prior to shipment...
    Dear Justin...I'm from BC...a few years ago your Dad gave us the finger, we would like to give it back...

"SUCK MY FAT ONE YOU CHEAP DIMESTORE HOOD"

BANNED
    Liberal delivery person?

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    and if its insured Canada Post will ask you to PROVE it was not damaged prior to shipment...
    Luckily we have a picture of the top of the grip before it was mailed, so we'll see how that goes.
    We are keeping our fingers crossed, and will post updates here.

In the meantime, the takeaway from this is, even well packed parcels can get broken.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer just having some fun's Avatar
    I would also check that the barrel on that M1 Garand is still straight

2000$, should have been shipped in a hard case.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by OkayShooter View Post
    2000$, should have been shipped in a hard case.
    ^This
    And how insurances money can replace a number matching stock on a milsurp rifle? Not this particular one, but some milsurp have S/N stamped on the wood. You can buy new wood stock for a Mauser, but the 2k$ fully matching 98K turn into a mismatch 8-900$ rifle. Does they pay for that too?

I have a fully match No4 T with matching scope and scope case, If CanPost break the scope in transit, it can be replaced, but the rifle will not be matching anymore and thus, depreciating greatly it's value. Not sure CanPost care about that.
    A good sturdy container for high value items is far more secure than any insurances IMHO.
    "Are you silly? I’m still gonna send it..."
    -Larry Enticer

Expired Business Member
    No container will reimburse us for damaged goods.
    Insurance for FULL value takes care of depreciation you talk about.

Waiting to see how CanPo proceeds with this. And yeah, we are pretty happy that this did not happen to a one-of-a-kind firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by FAQMAT View Post
    ^This
    And how insurances money can replace a number matching stock on a milsurp rifle? Not this particular one, but some milsurp have S/N stamped on the wood. You can buy new wood stock for a Mauser, but the 2k$ fully matching 98K turn into a mismatch 8-900$ rifle. Does they pay for that too?

I have a fully match No4 T with matching scope and scope case, If CanPost break the scope in transit, it can be replaced, but the rifle will not be matching anymore and thus, depreciating greatly it's value. Not sure CanPost care about that.
    A good sturdy container for high value items is far more secure than any insurances IMHO.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast