Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 689101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Over seventy-five thousand - 75,634 - AR-15s currently registered to individuals

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Patt08 View Post
    The thing that pisses me off is just to think that we’re going to be dealing with this crap again when the next liberal government gets in even if we win the upcoming one.
    If the Lib's get trounced and its identified to them that a big part of that was the position on firearms, then they wont be so quick to bring it back.
    The best time to buy a gun was 40 years ago, the second best time is today.

Last edited by NateC; 02-11-2020 at 06:36 PM.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    It is very doubtful that a Liberal govt. will pay anywhere near $1500 for an AR ; the Govt. will decide what fair market value is , and if the gun owner does not like it , the police will seize the firearm regardless . I suspect that the Govt. idea of fair market value will be about $ 300 bucks per gun . Anyway you look at it , the owner of the firearm will get screwed .
    Put it this way...

He can low ball the fair market value of registered rifles because they know you have it.

If they low ball unregistered rifles, they are much more likely to end up packed in grease under 2 feet of dirt somewhere, then they have a compliance problem.

And then there's the creative exist strategy.... remember when Ontario started making noise about prohibiting hand guns, then suddenly there was a rash of break ins with hand gun collections "stolen" while they were still insurable.

It's human nature to protect ourselves and you cant legislate how a person might respond to abrupt changes like this.
    Any policy is a success by sufficiently low standards, and a failure by sufficiently high standards.

A high post count means nothing… A high burned out barrel count means everything…

I know the information being released on the details of this gun grab is vague, but would not the RPAL owners of AR's and other "assault rifles" be given prohibited status? The plan sure sounds like confiscation of personal property by government.
    If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbush View Post
    I know the information being released on the details of this gun grab is vague, but would not the RPAL owners of AR's and other "assault rifles" be given prohibited status? The plan sure sounds like confiscation of personal property by government.
    That needs to be discussed more. Even the most fevent anti-gun believers will vote against Trudeau if they think their rights and privacy standards could be threatened in the future. Big decider in the original Liberal long gun registry years ago.
    One of my concerns is that all my non- restricted firearms were registered back then. What do you think the chances are that such info could become accessible again?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbush View Post
    The way prohibition has always been done was to change the status of a firearm from R or NR to Prohibited, then offer everyone who owns such a firearm a grandfather clause (and create a new class of prohib if necessary). Then the value of the firearm becomes next to nothing, and 30-80 years later, nobody has the grandfather clause anymore, and those firearms disappear.

What the liberals are proposing right now is different. It's an actual confiscation of the item in question. Or, more precisely, an expropriation. The government can expropriate you of any of your property, including your home. Expropriation is usually meant for land, but it can be of any property. There is absolutely no question on the legality of such a thing in Canada by a federal or provincial government. None. The only stop to expropriation is solely its political cost, as taking stuff away from private citizens is usually not a very popular move. The liberals are betting that this cost won't be very high.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by pkitcheman View Post
    So does that mean we have more AR15s per capita than the USA ?
    Not even close

Quote Originally Posted by rajczak_kashka View Post
    He mentioned several shootings involving the VZ 58, M305 as well as semi-automatic rifles designed for war as cheap as $300- SKS?
    I call bull#### on that claim... lefty media would have been all over that and made a point of mentioning type of rifle used especially if it resembles their non defined definition of an assault rifle ....
    Its not bull. Its just disingenuous word play.

Several shootings involving all of those rifles could mean one shooting each.

Moncton was done with the M305.
    Quebec Mosque was done with the VZ58 (allegedly)
    POly was with with a low cost semi, (mini 14, $300 priced in 1989 dollars).

There you go, several shootings with the above mentioned rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
    They aren't going to pay fair market value for the whole rifle, they are going to pay fair market value for the lower receiver. The fact that the rest of the rifle is included because people were too stupid not to reregister the rifle as just the receiver is irrelevant. My lower is never a rifle except when it goes to the range.
    I don't think it has anything to do with people being stupid. I think it has to do with people not wanting to call the CFO to register their firearm as a whole firearm when they go to the range and re-registering back to a receiver when they get home.

Quote Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
    Uh if the piece of paper says a rifle, they expect the whole rifle. If you bought a receiver and slapped a barrel on it, you are supposed to update the registration after 30 days. Fortunately mine are only together when I go to the range and I am lucky to go once a month if that.
    And since I suspect that you aren't calling the CFO to register the firearm as being capable of discharging ammo when you put it together and re-registering it as a frame only when you get home, you are committing criminal offences every time you take that rifle to the range.

Read the conditions on your firearms registration certificate, and read the regulations for firearms registration certificates.
    https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...html#h-1019122

Specifically section 4.1

4 (1) Subject to section 5, the Registrar shall attach to a registration certificate that is issued in respect of a firearm the condition that the holder of the certificate shall advise the Registrar, within 30 days after the modification, of

(a) any modification to the firearm that results in a change of class of the firearm;

(b) in the case of a firearm registered as a frame or receiver only, any modification that makes it capable of discharging ammunition;

(c) any modification to an altered automatic firearm; and

(d) any modification that results in the firearm ceasing to be a firearm.
    You will note that nothing in this section requires the modification to be permanent, or present for more than 30 days.

You can contrast to S. 4.2 of the regulations, which talks about modifications to WHOLE firearms based on barrel length or caliber, IE switching from one upper to another, which DOES require modifications to be intended to be permanent or present for more than 30 days before reporting is required.

So even though you have 30 days to report the change, every time you assemble your receiver only firearm into a whole firearm, you must report it. ANd must report it again when you strip it back down.

Yes, the law is stupid, and yes LE has no way of detecting this victimless paper crime. But as people who lay claim to law abiding gun ownership, that's not the point now is it?

You may want to clarify your post because as it stands now its reads as if you are breaking the law by failing to report modifications to your firearm as required by your firearms registration certificate, which is an offence under S110 of the firearms act. Please feel free to show me where I have misunderstood your post.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rajczak_kashka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_1982 View Post
    Watch Blair’s video today. His words.
    I stand corrected. Thank you for clarification. 3 crimes committed with “assault type weapons” in what? 30 years? And they want to ban them? I can’t believe we are even having a conversation about the confiscation of our legally owned property for this.
    So if the Liberals logic is true... “ Why do you need weapons like these in civilian hands” ( Bill Blair)... why not ban all sports cars capable of speeds over 120kph as “why do you end cars like these in civilian hands” as they are designed to grossly exceed our lawful speed limits. Same stupid logic and yes.... more innocent folks are killed by idiots in these type of cars than by our “assault weapons” by many many times over each year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post
    ANd must report it again when you strip it back down
    While it clearly says going from receiver to functional firearm I don't see where it says you must report going back to just the receiver..?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumlee Bumsnag View Post
    That needs to be discussed more. Even the most fevent anti-gun believers will vote against Trudeau if they think their rights and privacy standards could be threatened in the future. Big decider in the original Liberal long gun registry years ago.
    One of my concerns is that all my non- restricted firearms were registered back then. What do you think the chances are that such info could become accessible again?
    I can guarantee that there is a copy of the database on it's last day of operation somewhere. Someone will have put it all on a CD or USB drive somewhere and taken it home. The data itself cannot be that big and would probably fit into MS Access. So don't think they don't have it. Plus, when they removed it did they remove it from the nightly/weekly/monthly/annual backups, that all IT people do, that are also taken off site to somewhere to be stored with someone like Iron Mountain? If they didn't recall all those back ups and scrub them, then it is all still there. By the way, this is not telling them how to do it, it is pointing out I know how they are going to do it. They know who I am from my PAL so it makes no difference when they come to my home. This isn't the US, they know where all the legal owners live. Once they get all the restricted and want the SKS, M305, etc. they will use that old registry to find the last owner. Then, when they haven't pulled enough numbers, they will just go to all the home that intersect on their data mining. This is all about big data and data mining. If you don't think they won't do it, you are wrong.

Peter