Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger American Ranch Mag Issues

Ruger American Ranch Mag Issues

I bought an American Ranch rifle .223 the year they came out and although it immediately became one of my favourite guns, I was always disappointed with the 5 round plastic rotary magazine. My disappointment was compounded when Ruger released the new generation of the rifles that use the mini 14 type metal mags or AR type mags. I contacted Ruger to inquire if my rifle could be retrofitted with a new stock to accommodate better mags and I was told this was impossible as the rifle would require gunsmithing to accommodate the new stock and mags.

I'm a huge Ruger fan, I have four Ruger Rifles at present and only money keeps me from buying more. But I am disappointed in the customer service in regards to this rifle. At very least I would hope that Ruger would release an after market upgrade to the mag, and it wouldn't hurt if they treated it like a recall and sent current owners one for free.

As Korth is a distributor for Ruger here, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/ suggestions/ or news of any coming upgrades to this rifle?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by Korth Group Ltd; 09-23-2019 at 05:10 PM. Reason: got title wrong, damn spell check!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kamlooky's Avatar
    Sell it and purchase the newer model.
    He has a half-tracked mind and unrelenting habit of self aggrandizing.
    Can anyone guess?

What's wrong with the mag? Or you just want to be able to buy more readily available mags?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by drill702 View Post
    What's wrong with the mag? Or you just want to be able to buy more readily available mags?
    The old mag is very poorly made and doesn’t seat well into the stock. Often if you haven’t chambered a round and have been holding the rifle you will push the mag further into the stock and won’t be able to chamber a round with out pulling it back flush with the stock.

Try send it back

CGN Ultra frequent flyer phillyblt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drill702 View Post
    Try send it back
    Yeah. If your having problems sell it or try and send it back. EE is your friend here. Put a good price on it and it'll go. But you know this with your great feedback score lol
    Don't miss... I won't...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer phillyblt's Avatar
    Just wondering if you've tried a new mag? Maybe you've just used your mag a lot?
    Don't miss... I won't...

Business Member
    Unfortunately, the older version rifles are not able to be updated to accept AR mags (as you have been informed). At this time, Ruger does not offer a Canadian SKU for the AR mag Ranch rifle - only their 10 round version (the mag is prohibited here). You could look at selling the rifle you have, and try to find the new AR mag version.

Another option is to look at upgrading your current stock to one from Boyds - they offer a Ruger American detachable mag system on their laminate stocks that will accommodate an AI style detachable magazine.

KGL

GunNutz
    I sold mine on EE for only $30 less than I paid retail and got the upgraded model that takes AR mags . I agree with you . Those rotary mags look like they cost ruger 50 cents to make . yet sell them for like $49 cdn . I thought they could offer old ranch owners updated stock but taking it apart it's set up alot differant than the first gen ranch .

Name:  ranch.jpg
Views: 2104
Size:  87.7 KB

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phin11 View Post
    I sold mine on EE for only $30 less than I paid retail and got the upgraded model that takes AR mags . I agree with you . Those rotary mags look like they cost ruger 50 cents to make . yet sell them for like $49 cdn . I thought they could offer old ranch owners updated stock but taking it apart it's set up alot differant than the first gen ranch .

Name:  ranch.jpg
Views: 2104
Size:  87.7 KB
    Nice scope!

KGL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast