Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington Returns

Expired Industry Member

Remington Returns

http://www.huntingwire.com/features/d957cff3-a220-47e1-aac2-95ba4d5dedd4

Sept 23, 2019

Like that popular/easy girl in high school, recently the reigns to oldest and possibly most iconic firearms brand in the world has passed between several CEOs. These supposedly brilliant executives, with no true passion for the outdoors, allowed Remington to lose sight of what made it one of the most trusted manufacturers of firearms. Mismanaged to the point the engine needed rebuilding—bankruptcy—consumers lost faith. Entering its 204th year, some are wondering if Remington can get back on the track. Ken D’Arcy is confident it can.

In June of 2019 D’Arcy became the CEO of America’s oldest gunmaker. Last week I had the opportunity to talk candidly with D’Arcy about the things he enjoys like motorcycles, hunting, and racecars. What did I learn? For starters, D’Arcy is a competitor who is focused on winning, and winning is something D’Arcy has done as a professional race car driver. It’s also something he did while serving as the CEO of Crossman, where he transformed a languishing local operation into a lean, cost-efficient, marketplace leader. While at Crossman, D’Arcy grew annual sales to $145 million after brining more new products to market during an 11-year tenure than during the previous 78 years combined.

Does D’Arcy have a plan for Remington? Indeed, he does.

While sitting in the lodge of the FTW Range, which is operated by D’Arcy’s friend Tim Fallon, Ken told me his intention was to return Remington to its roots, by doing the things that made Remington the iconic brand it once was. What does that mean? It means D’Arcy plans for Remington to become better at building the things that made Remington famous. He wants Remington to once again connect with the American sportsman and become a maker of firearms that are passed—with pride and trust—from generation to generation. In short, Remington’s goal is to once again hold a vaulted seat at the hunter’s campfire. D’Arcy plans to guide Remington down this road, which reaches back more than two centuries, and take Marlin and Barnes Bullets along for the ride.

What a novel concept—do the things you’re good at, and that made you famous. Will it work? I hope so, and I’m very optimistic.

At the drop of the green flag the outlook is promising; the Model 700 I shot while at FTW last week provided more precision than any rifle I’ve every pulled a trigger on. I also have to admit there’s a little green in my blood. My first and most favorite centerfire rifle was a Remington 700.

But, running Remington is not your typical race—there’s no checkered flag waiting 500 miles away. Remington’s longevity lies in the effective management of a legacy; you either run competitively, near the front at all times, or the fans—consumers—find a new car and driver to ride with.

D’Arcy is in the driver’s seat now and he knows that. He also has a capable and competent crew in his pit. Remington might be a lap down, but I’d not write them off.

Thanks for info.
    Good to see that Remington is still in the race!

Alright
    Last edited by tactical72; 09-30-2019 at 11:30 AM.

"Like that popular/easy girl in high school" - they couldn't find a better metaphor?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jparent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ponymusic View Post
    "Like that popular/easy girl in high school" - they couldn't find a better metaphor?
    Nothing screams "Damaged Goods!" like the easy girl later in life. Kinda like Remington's offerings for the last couple decades...
    Looking down the barrel, of 1984...
    Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Foxtrot Oscar.
    It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. - Claire Wolfe

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by ponymusic View Post
    The town bicycle? Everyone has had a ride.

Wow is all I can say! I would have loved to been in the lodge with him too! I could have told him about the 5R Milspec I bought for upwards of $1400 plus dollars that had so many problems it should not have left the factory if their QC was on at all. My advise to anyone buying a new Remington is to go over it with a fine toothed comb before taking it home or if ordering online ask the retailer about your rights to return for exchange if you receive a dud! I waited close to 3 months to get the rifle after placing an order with a retailer. Had it for a while before I could get it set up and upon doing so found some issues! Retailer gave me Gravel info and I had to send it off myself! Gravel even found more issues with it upon their receipt of the rifle and have been excellent to deal with during this whole ordeal! They still have my rifle though, going on over a month now but waiting on parts from Big Green! Hopefully I’ll get it back before it gets to cold out to see if it shoots decent?

Service Call number 36858

Remington is gonna have work pretty hard to fool me like the easy girl next time! Dinner and a movie won’t cut it now!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rommelrommel's Avatar
    Will they start to make 30 RAR uppers again I wonder?

I'll believe it when they bring back the 700 Titanium into regular production.

Ken D'Arcy was the interim CEO of the company I worked for. He came in, made some cuts to middle management and disappeared as fast as he came in. He stayed for about a year. He had all upper and middle management on edge.

I don't know if it made any difference to our bottmline. Only time will tell to see if the changes he put into place made any difference.

I wish Remington all the best.
    Proud Mapleseed Member
    Mapleseed Rifleman x2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast