Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Range Membership In Another Province?

CGN Regular

Range Membership In Another Province?

Does anyone know if it is possible to be a member of a range in another province for the purpose of buying a restricted gun? The range near my area charges $600 year while the range near my friend charges $70 a year however its in another province.

Would it be possible to become a member at my friend's range to be able to purchase a restricted firearm and then when I want to shoot pay a drop in fee at the ranges near me (of course this will depend on that range)?

CGN frequent flyer
    Seems to me, if the range would allow you to become a member from out-of-province than you are good to go. I dont believe it matters to the CFO in which province you are a range member as long as you have prove of membership. Is the range in another province within reasonable driving distance from you? That could be a factor. I could be wrong, though. I am not in a province where it is mandatory to be a range member to purchase restricted firearms.

What province are you in?
    Il messanger non è importante

There in no requirement to be a member of a club to buy a restricted

Shawn

CGN Regular
    I am in Quebec. The range my friend is a member of is in Alberta so not anywhere near driving distance.

Shawn can you expand on that? I saw on reddit some people posted 3 years ago that this is true.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canadaguns/...to_purchase_a/

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGoose View Post
    I am in Quebec. The range my friend is a member of is in Alberta so not anywhere near driving distance.

Shawn can you expand on that? I saw on reddit some people posted 3 years ago that this is true.

Some good points in that reddit thread. Specifically, attending pay-per-use ranges!

Problem is, some provincial CFOs are making up their own rules referencing Firearm Act that is vaguelly written. They essentially saying that YOU have to prove purpose of having a restricted firearm and range membership is one way of doing it. That s...t was challenged in Ontario and defeated, so now anyone in Ontario does not need range membership to purchase restricted firearms. It needs to happen country-wide!
    Il messanger non è importante

CGN Regular
    Yes I got off the phone with the RCMP gun people today. I will need to call my CFO sometime this week if I can reach him.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGoose View Post

Sorry I didn't know you were in Que. That is a special case as you also have to deal with law 9 and all that BS. I do not know the specifics for that.

As for everyone else the firearms act dose not require membership to own or use restricted. What is does allow is at the time of renewal for the CFO to determine if you are using your restricted for your stated use, in this case target shooting. How they have chosen to do this is by asking for range membership at renewal. This is not required for a transfer.

Shawn

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jmichelin84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    There in no requirement to be a member of a club to buy a restricted

Shawn
    Actually in NL you have to be part of a club, they actually ask the purpose...
    Is it wrong to love the clack clack bang, but wanna run from a click tick lol

Quote Originally Posted by jmichelin84 View Post
    Actually in NL you have to be part of a club, they actually ask the purpose...
    No you don't. Link the section of the firearms act that requires this.

They can ask what ever they want, that does not make it supported by the law. And you have to declare the purpose with any restricted transfer, there is nothing in the firearms act saying you have to provide a range membership

People really need to stop posting this BS. Just because some secretary at a call center told you something over the phone does not make it law. This is one of the main reasons people are so confused by the firearms act, they think a call center secretary is qualified to dispense legal advice and they are to lazy to actually read the law.

Shawn

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jmichelin84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    No you don't. Link the section of the firearms act that requires this.

They can ask what ever they want, that does not make it supported by the law. And you have to declare the purpose with any restricted transfer, there is nothing in the firearms act saying you have to provide a range membership

People really need to stop posting this BS. Just because some secretary at a call center told you something over the phone does not make it law. This is one of the main reasons people are so confused by the firearms act, they think a call center secretary is qualified to dispense legal advice and they are to lazy to actually read the law.

Shawn
    I keep getting asked, by the CFO, and also shops that I'm trying to buy from, the first restricted I tried to buy, I said none yet they are building it , I got told no sale.
    The firearms act might not have any sections, but the actual cfo for the province might want it or make thier own rules
    Is it wrong to love the clack clack bang, but wanna run from a click tick lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast