Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Range Membership In Another Province?

Quote Originally Posted by frromage View Post
    It is in Quebec. Bill 9 makes mandatory that you have to be a member of a club and shoot once per year per restricted.
    We know

Que is its own "special"place. Read post 7 were this was already covered

Shawn
    Last edited by shawn; 10-18-2019 at 06:32 PM.

We had lots of guys join the lake of the woods range that were from Manitoba nobody batted an eye

[/QUOTE]So, yes, you can definitely join a club in a different province/state. Bonus: you get to not worry about the loi 9 exam.[/QUOTE]

thank you, thank you, thank you... I've spent way too much time searching every gun forum as well a Quebec specific sites looking for this answer. the closest range to me is in Ontario and it allows me to get around Loi 9. My only other question would be the purchase of a restricted firearm. I'm not sure how the transfer works yet. Could i buy a restricted firearm in Ontario without being part of a range? I'm thinking that i could but would run into issues trying to get the Quebec CFO to authorize the transport. Also, i wonder about online purchases.

So, yes, you can definitely join a club in a different province/state. Bonus: you get to not worry about the loi 9 exam.[/QUOTE]

thank you, thank you, thank you... I've spent way too much time searching every gun forum as well a Quebec specific sites looking for this answer. the closest range to me is in Ontario and it allows me to get around Loi 9. My only other question would be the purchase of a restricted firearm. I'm not sure how the transfer works yet. Could i buy a restricted firearm in Ontario without being part of a range? I'm thinking that i could but would run into issues trying to get the Quebec CFO to authorize the transport. Also, i wonder about online purchases.[/QUOTE]

Most likely not as IIRC the membership things has not seen court in Que and they will ask for it. How hard or if you want to fight that is up to you.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGoose View Post
    I heard it is hard to prove you are a collector. They will ask you every single question about every single detail about firearms to determine if you are a collector.
    Not true. They may tell you they may test you one day but it's highly doubtful they will. You can have collector status and be a range member and have both.

I'm a member of an Ontario club and live in Quebec. The only difference is you'll have to get a letter from the club every year to show you are in good standings and then get an ATT from the province you live in to go to your club in a different province.

So which range is the one your friend is at in Alberta that only charges $70? My in-laws local range in Sask is only $60 (maybe it was 65) and it is pistol approved.
    If ignorance of the law is not a defense, then any legal system that has more laws than any one person can reasonably remember, is unjust in and of itself.

It’s been a few months but this is now more relevant as I’ve just completed the CRFSC and I have a few more questions/clarifications.

1. You definitely can join an Ontario club as a Québec resident.
    2. You do not have to comply with Loi 9 to do so.

I think I’m following thus far but now I have more question. Mainly with the actual purchase and transport of a firearm.

3. When buying a restricted the store will contact the Québec CFO to transfer.
    4. Assuming I joined a club, the Québec CFO will allow the transfer.
    5. The club will regularly inform the CFO that I am a current member.
    6. A LTATT will be issued allowing me to transport the firearm across provincial border.

Am I getting this right? Have you had any issues convincing the Québec CFO to allow out of province membership/purchase/transport?

Also, I’ve heard some freaky talk about what happens when you club membership expires in Québec. I hope this is just a loi 9 thing. I Know that you have to shoot once a year in order to keep your loi 9 cert and if you don’t your membership is revoked. I’m assuming that’s what the yearly letter is about? Making sure you are a regular shooter? Any idea what happens if you membership expires. Anywhere else you would just not be able to shoot, but I’ve heard that Québec could go as far as revoking your RPAL and confiscating your firearms??? I’m thinking this is just someone confusing loi 9 training certification with RPAL but you never know with Québec.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. It’s just nice to know that someone else has gone through this and I want to make sure I don’t screw it up.

Any help is appreciated,
    Thanks

GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsparlin View Post
    It’s been a few months but this is now more relevant as I’ve just completed the CRFSC and I have a few more questions/clarifications.

1. You definitely can join an Ontario club as a Québec resident.
    2. You do not have to comply with Loi 9 to do so.

I think I’m following thus far but now I have more question. Mainly with the actual purchase and transport of a firearm.

3. When buying a restricted the store will contact the Québec CFO to transfer.
    4. Assuming I joined a club, the Québec CFO will allow the transfer.
    5. The club will regularly inform the CFO that I am a current member.
    6. A LTATT will be issued allowing me to transport the firearm across provincial border.

Am I getting this right? Have you had any issues convincing the Québec CFO to allow out of province membership/purchase/transport?

Also, I’ve heard some freaky talk about what happens when you club membership expires in Québec. I hope this is just a loi 9 thing. I Know that you have to shoot once a year in order to keep your loi 9 cert and if you don’t your membership is revoked. I’m assuming that’s what the yearly letter is about? Making sure you are a regular shooter? Any idea what happens if you membership expires. Anywhere else you would just not be able to shoot, but I’ve heard that Québec could go as far as revoking your RPAL and confiscating your firearms??? I’m thinking this is just someone confusing loi 9 training certification with RPAL but you never know with Québec.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. It’s just nice to know that someone else has gone through this and I want to make sure I don’t screw it up.

Any help is appreciated,
    Thanks
    A retailer initiates a transfer in the CFP system and goes for a by review by CFO of the buyer's province.

You should complete and file the ATT form (form 5091, I think) with QC CFO to transport your restricteds to the club, attaching copies of your club membership papers and the club card. They will have it on file to check when approving transfers. It can be done by email to permis@surete.qc.ca . You have to file the paperwork every year on membership renewal. The club may or may not file anything on your behalf.

QC CFO will email you the ATT that you will print and carry with you each time you go to the club.

If you call them, they will tell you this first-hand.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGoose View Post
    Does anyone know if it is possible to be a member of a range in another province for the purpose of buying a restricted gun? The range near my area charges $600 year while the range near my friend charges $70 a year however its in another province.

Would it be possible to become a member at my friend's range to be able to purchase a restricted firearm and then when I want to shoot pay a drop in fee at the ranges near me (of course this will depend on that range)?
    Shouldn’t be an issue. Although I now live in BC, I lived in Alberta for 20 years, but membership prices were way out of line. I bought a membership at a rural range in BC (where I ended up moving) for $60/yr for the family when I got my PAL/RPAL.
    Also Because my job seen me traveling to places where there were often public ranges I was given a one time LATT and it’s still attached to my license. No extra paperwork needed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast