Remington 783 .223 16.5 inch barrel?

C.308

CGN Regular
Hello,

Just hoping I can find one of these for sale in canada. I'm looking for the short 16.5 inch, or 16.25 inch... Not sure of exact length ... Remington 783 heavy barrel in .223. The one with the threaded barrel and oversized bolt handle.

I'm not finding any in stock even when I google. I'm wondering if they are still available and if so where?

Thanks
Chris

Yeah. I need something in .223 and was going to go with a semi but I already have a few and not many bolt guns. I decided this gun is just about perfect for my needs and has a little bit of a cool factor too. There aren't many other compact. .223 bolt guns out there with these traits and this reputation. The low price is extra bonus. They should have used an aics compatible bottom metal for the real win but there are aftermarket options.

I've heard good things about the 783.
On the other hand, Remington doesn't make these for us southpaws.

I'd purchase one of these in a heartbeat if it was left hand bolt.
The 700 SPS and rare variants are lefty (not my politics though)...

Anyone have a source for Remington 700 action only in left hand bolt short action (223 bolt) out there...at a reasonable price?

Great, now I have competition trying to get my hands on one of these. Shoulda kept my trap shut. Lol. Well at least it looks like it will be $500 well spent when I get one.

Any of you guys getting misfires with the 223 model? I bought one of these a few months ago and it misfires with bulk ammo (AR223, XM193, MFS). Commercial hunting ammo shoots fine though. It’s been back for warranty twice and its still not working right.

C.308, just curious - have you checked out the Ruger American Ranch? It’s very similar to the 783 HB, although is a little more money. I found a few dealers with them in stock for $600ish + tax (rotary mag version). I too was recently looking for a 223 and narrowed it down to these two models. I ordered an American Ranch from irunguns because I wanted the model that takes AR mags. Haven’t received it yet, so can’t comment on how it shoots.

Any of you guys getting misfires with the 223 model? I bought one of these a few months ago and it misfires with bulk ammo (AR223, XM193, MFS). Commercial hunting ammo shoots fine though. It’s been back for warranty twice and its still not working right.

I had some issues with mine and bulk federal. It just wouldn't ignite the.primer. I kept feeding it handloads and recently been feeding it bernaul, PMC, etc without issue. Maybe it just had to get worn in. The PMC bronze shoots incredibly. As good as the handloads. Clovers at 100. Great gun. Feels great in the MDT LSS chassis.

I looked into it at one point and I think Jerry from mystic precision suggested changing the firing pin spring if you have light strikes. Maybe try digging that thread up.

C.308, just curious - have you checked out the Ruger American Ranch? It’s very similar to the 783 HB, although is a little more money. I found a few dealers with them in stock for $600ish + tax (rotary mag version). I too was recently looking for a 223 and narrowed it down to these two models. I ordered an American Ranch from irunguns because I wanted the model that takes AR mags. Haven’t received it yet, so can’t comment on how it shoots.

Thanks for the tip on the ruger. I had seriously considered it. I used to own an American in .308. It was nice but the reputation of the 783 and the price have me set on the remington. I dig the oversized bolt handle as well and the metal mags are getting good feedback. I think there is an american .223 that takes stanag mags which is cool. I'd consider one if it was on the used market. I just feel the american new is a bit too much money for what they are. Almost entering 700 territory cash wise.

I have also owned the Ruger American Ranch in .223 and I prefer the 783's trigger and magazine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom