Thread: Pinned high capacity mags

Pinned high capacity mags

If you pin a high capacity mag to limit it's capacity to 10 rounds, is it still considered a high capacity mag that is prohibited to export to Canada?
    I'm referring to CZ Scorpion AK-V and drum mags. If their original capacity was >=35 and you make them permanently limited to 10 rounds. Are they now below the ITAR limit?
    In other words, can you pin those mags and bring them over for us?
    Pick up the receiver... I'll make you a believer.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer phillyblt's Avatar
    I think all Scorpion mags have to be pinned to 5 and now with the new laws in the states anything over 33 or 35 (cant remember) cant be brought over the border anymore regardless of pinning.
    Don't miss... I won't...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Juster's Avatar
    Yup, 33 as I recall.
    ht tps://www.firearmsnews.com/editorial/trump-administration-export-ban-on-over-32-round-magazines-raises-question-of-why/361695

DDTC (Directorate of Defense Trade Controls) will continue to restrict the export of high capacity magazines (defined as those over 32 rounds) – pinned or not – to government end use only,” forum business member and U.S./Canada importer/exporter IRUNGUNS revealed, citing a response from the U.S. State Department and its enforcement of the Arms Export Control Act.“We understand that pinning magazines is an acceptable practice in most instances and wanted to give you additional guidance for submitting these cases going forward,” the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls. DDTC is not against the pinning of magazines that have a capacity of 32 rounds or below.

That should answer the OP.
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rommelrommel's Avatar
    Original capacity determines it, not what it's limited to. What's here is what's here until an alternate source is found.

Unfortunately, due to changes in export reform the restrictions are based on the original capacity of the magazine. If the magazine in its original capacity exceeds 32 rounds prior to it being restricted it is no longer able to be exported from the United States.

I hope this answers your questions.

The IRUNGUNS Team

Flat rate shipping to Canada is 25.00USD on all accessory and ammunition orders regardless of quantities ordered. Firearms are exported to Canada at a flat rate of 25.00USD per firearm.

The IRUNGUNS Team

www.irunguns.ca
    www.irunguns.com

Quote Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
    Original capacity determines it, not what it's limited to. What's here is what's here until an alternate source is found.
    I wish there were some AK-V mags available in Canada for less than 6 times the US price.
    Pick up the receiver... I'll make you a believer.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rommelrommel's Avatar
    Me too, but when there are only a couple hundred in the country and a lot of Scorpions... If more were coming soon/ever they'd only be worth double.

How about the tube only? Back in the day, I remember vendors could sell high capacity tubes... Understand it applied to domestic rules/regulations but could there be a loophole...?