Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 783 16.5in in an Oryx chassis

It’s a very nice setup! I always wondered what the removable muzzle thingy is for? Darn brain not working right this morning LOL

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cody c's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hollowedpoint View Post
    It’s a very nice setup! I always wondered what the removable muzzle thingy is for? Darn brain not working right this morning LOL
    That barrel is threaded from the factory to work with muzzle brakes or suppressors, up here we cant use and would go to jail for suppressors so just muzzle brakes. The "removable muzzle thingy" is a thread protector which about matches the diameter of the barrel and protects the threads from damage.

Actually kind of smart installed when not even used for a muzzle brake, like a sacrificial surface that could get some scratches and wear and be replaced, I like the idea of them extending out just a bit to protect the barrel crown.

Hey thread protector that’s the word I was missing! Ha thank you for reminding me!! Wondering if anybody tried a muzzle brake yet. So far I never seen one with one on.

Super GunNutz
    Attachment 326071
    Quote Originally Posted by hollowedpoint View Post
    Hey thread protector that’s the word I was missing! Ha thank you for reminding me!! Wondering if anybody tried a muzzle brake yet. So far I never seen one with one on.
    Like this?

Quote Originally Posted by cody c View Post
    This isn't meant as a negative comment, just a question.. but why such a short barrel on a rifle in a target/long range style stock and in that caliber? (other than that's what the manufacturer makes/sells)

I get short barreled rigs for packing through thick bush (which I suspect you wont be using it for) and for light weight mountain rigs (same expected use) and I get that there is a point of diminishing returns and even less accuracy with really long barrels but...

That rig does look good with a short barrel, just curious if it is cosmetic reasons or some other expected function? To me it just looks like more noise and lost velocity and looks a bit more nimble.

Thanks.
    Bought it to play with for 500-600m. Honestly a bored let's play with something purchase. I kept the stock stock( haha) to use for deer in fall

Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by RedApe View Post
    Bought it to play with for 500-600m. Honestly a bored let's play with something purchase. I kept the stock stock( haha) to use for deer in fall
    Also, it’s sub $500 accurate rifle that can be used for both hunting and target shooting.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cody c's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedApe View Post
    Cool, regardless, as long as your having fun man.

Any news on how it shoots? I am contemplating a 783/Oryx combination as well.

CGN Regular
    bought an oryx for my 783. hope to get out between christmas and new years and give it a try.

As for the barrel length if this article hold for my rifle velocity it will still be flatter shooting than my 20" 308. given a choice i would rather have a longer barrel but this is what was on sale and I couldn't pass up a rifle that was sub $500 to my door.

https://rifleshooter.com/2019/03/6-5...velocity-2019/

Action come with the bolt knob like that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12