Page 13 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3567891011121314151617181920212333 ... LastLast

Thread: Spectre Ballistics Light Practical Carbine - NR Receiver Set

Quote Originally Posted by SpectreBallistics View Post
    This is correct. Once the bolt is in battery the recoil spring is not required, and unless the bolt is in battery the firing pin will not strike the primer.
    Fair enough. With a properly arranged carrier you are right that an out of battery discharge should t occur.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDL View Post
    Rearward thrust goes into the recesses on the barrel extension, which are perpendicular to the direction of thrust. The cam in the bolt carrier doesn't start unlocking the bolt until the bolt carrier has been moved a good deal rearwards. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure the firing pin on an AR-pattern rifle can't even protrude through the bolt face unless the locking lugs are fully engaged.
    You’re correct that the cam doesn’t start unlocking until there is some stroking of the carrier, but I still feel the lack of a locking mechanism will allow the carrier to shift under its own weight which will lead to light primer strikes. As I acknowledged in the post above this, a proper design on the carrier should stop out of battery detonations.

Think about it this way, one of the ways to deal with a stuck round is to mortar the AR. This uses the mass of the carrier to free a stick round. Effectively without a locking mechanism the carrier will have the potential to slip around in the upper. Solutions to the slipping could be a tight fit EMT of the bolt in the carrier or a locking mechanism. Without either I suspect you will have light primer strikes as the force of the hammer is reduced by virtue of some being absorbed as it takes up any slack in the carrier.

I own a Troy PAR and if you don’t close the action with authority you definitely get light primer strikes.

I realize my doggedness may be coming across as me ragging on SBI - that is absolutely not my intention. I wan this product to succeed as a fall back positions for us all. But as described I can’t help but feel it is incomplete.

Fit EMT above is meant to be fitment. Autocorrect sucks.

Business Member SpectreBallistics's Avatar
    LPC Update: We have some stock most of the CAM work done for the lower. Chips will be flying tomorrow!

CGN Regular William_mississauga's Avatar
    LPC Update: We have some stock most of the CAM work done for the lower. Chips will be flying tomorrow!
    Good new, so with the maching/planning on lower can you give an estamation on what this part of the project?

Business Member SpectreBallistics's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by William_mississauga View Post
    Good new, so with the maching/planning on lower can you give an estamation on what this part of the project?
    For price? No. We will release a price after prototyping is done.

Wow - that's amazing. Good show.

So I have a 458 socom with a 10.5" barrel. Measuring the rifle with the stock fully extended, it comes in at about 31". Assuming the setup above will work for a 458, this should be an easy way to make it non-restricted, correct? Maybe install an A2 stock to keep everything on the up and up?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwire View Post
    Wow - that's amazing. Good show.

So I have a 458 socom with a 10.5" barrel. Measuring the rifle with the stock fully extended, it comes in at about 31". Assuming the setup above will work for a 458, this should be an easy way to make it non-restricted, correct? Maybe install an A2 stock to keep everything on the up and up?
    Strictly speaking, if the firearm doesn't get shorter by telescoping/folding it should still be NR <26" (See: The various short lever-actions on the market). Alternatively, if the gun can't fire while telescoped/folded, then it wouldn't matter how short it is when collapsed.
    If you're going through hell, keep going.

Super Moderator
    I just assembled an AR without buffer and buffer spring. Doesn't take much of bump to open the action.
    The Specter bolt action bolt carrier is lighter, but a bump could still start the carrier moving backwards, either creating an opportunity for a misfire, or even opening the bolt.
    A simple nylon detent plunger would prevent this. Perhaps located where the bolt hold open would be, it could engage a notch in the carrier, or even the rear of the carrier. First pressure on the bolt handle would override the detent, and drag on the carrier while the action is being cycled would be minimal.

I think that the idea is an excellent one, ban or not. Lots of AR parts with which to assemble a handy modular rifle.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Patt08's Avatar
    This will be a great way to have a cool sbr!

Quote Originally Posted by SCDL View Post
    Strictly speaking, if the firearm doesn't get shorter by telescoping/folding it should still be NR <26" (See: The various short lever-actions on the market). Alternatively, if the gun can't fire while telescoped/folded, then it wouldn't matter how
    short it is when collapsed.
    |CCFR|