Page 27 of 143 FirstFirst ... 71719202122232425262728293031323334353747 ... LastLast

Thread: Spectre Ballistics Light Practical Carbine - NR Receiver Set

CGN frequent flyer
    Do you plan to sell separate uppers and lowers or just complete kits? Some folks have more AR uppers than lowers.

Business Member SpectreBallistics's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff B View Post
    Do you plan to sell separate uppers and lowers or just complete kits? Some folks have more AR uppers than lowers.
    Extra uppers will be available.

CGN Regular
    So if a person bought a cheap ar 15 like the s&w sport all you would have to do is swap everything over to this receiver set and the gun would be non restricted?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    So if a person bought a cheap ar 15 like the s&w sport all you would have to do is swap everything over to this receiver set and the gun would be non restricted?
    No. The AR-15 bolt carrier is obviously not set up to have a bolt handle attached to it, so you'd need to at least replace the carrier. Everything else seems like it would be interchangeable? Didn't say anything about the safety selector and stuff, but it would be kind of illogical to change that business up, considering the purpose of the receiver.

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

I like how its only 5 lbs ! But please make it out of 7075!!

Quote Originally Posted by drill702 View Post
    Yup,this has me eyeing carbon fiber barrels and handguards just to see how damn light I can make it.

Spectre,is the ejection port capable of handling big rounds like .450 bushmaster?
    It's not that I'm new to this....I'm just an idiot...

Once Proud member of the NFA.now disgruntled and disillusioned and confused.

Uber Super GunNutz davide montini's Avatar
    Just wondering ...a straight bolt action ...like the sig ...and I believe the merkel??....any thoughts about that
    viva la FICA ..E va fan culo!!!!!..Ontario government is like the nazis ..too many family and friends in the government...it's who you know and blow

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    Yup,this has me eyeing carbon fiber barrels and handguards just to see how damn light I can make it.
    Carbon fiber barrels aren't the lightest barrels on the market. They are however significantly lighter than a steel barrel of the same contour. They are designed to give you the benefit of a heavy profile steel barrel but with less weight.

Spectre assembled the rifle with a pencil barrel to achieve the posted weight. Most CF barrels are going to weigh MORE than the pencil profile barrel. The only CF barrel that will weigh about the same as a regular old pencil barrel is the BSF 18.6" Fluted barrel. The non fluted BSF is going to weigh more than a pencil barrel and barrels from Proof Research or Christensen Arms are going to weigh a bit more again.

If your main objective is weight savings you won't achieve that by buying a CF barrel over a regular steel pencil barrel. If you want to focus on weight savings the best place to start will be with a carbon fiber handguard or one like the V Seven Hyper-Light which is made from an aluminum and magnesium alloy blend and weighs in at a mere 5.4 oz. including barrel nut for a 15" handguard.

Just my .02
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

Business Member SpectreBallistics's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drill702 View Post
    What technical advantages do you see in making it out of 7075 other than the internet says it's better?

6061 is more than capable of being strong enough. With proper anodizing denting is not an issue. 7075 doubles the cost of raw materials and takes about 10% longer to machine, and is more expensive to finish. This ads a lot of costs to the final product, something which is an issue.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpectreBallistics View Post
    What technical advantages do you see in making it out of 7075 other than the internet says it's better?

6061 is more than capable of being strong enough. With proper anodizing denting is not an issue. 7075 doubles the cost of raw materials and takes about 10% longer to machine, and is more expensive to finish. This ads a lot of costs to the final product, something which is an issue.
    Anodizing is only as strong as the base material. Put a sheet of glass of equal hardness and thickness on top of a mattress, and on top of a flat concrete floor. Jump on both. You can guess what happens.

Are you saying there's no functional reason that the higher end manufacturers are making their sets out of 7075?

I could get into tensile/yield strengths and all that business, but...

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!