Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3567891011121314151617181920212333 ... LastLast

Thread: Action: Gun Ban is a Western Alienation Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Eulsam View Post
    This is a start. You don't begin with negotiations by demanding everything under the sun. If we can stop the forthcoming ban, we can then work towards and build a case on getting things like the Swiss guns and others that are wrongfully prohib status reverted back to a legal status. Rome wasn't built in a day.
    What you ask for is an end to all firearm registration - because it was clearly established to facilitate confiscation. The Liberals just proved that everything the NRA says is true, and exploded once and for all the Canadian gun control model. It's time for gun owners to get a lot more militant up here. Gun ownership (by law abiding, responsible citizens) is a right. A lot of Canadians would scoff at that today but they will be more understanding down the road when they see the consequences of left-wing authoritarianism.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_1982 View Post
    CLW is one of the No Compromise guys. I have no issue with that crew telling MP’s what they want, as we are all free to do so.

Maybe some guys in that crew don’t have regular interactions with the average non-gun owning public. From my own personal interactions, asking for CC and full auto at THIS time of the debate would be shooting us in the foot.

I’ve actually heard many non-gun owners state the Liberal gun ban is ridiculous, and will do nothing to stop gun crime. That’s the group we need to keep on our side. Their eyes will roll in the back of their heads if we come at them with full auto no compromise statements.

My own opinions, YMMV.
    Just remember that compromise and baby steps got us in the mess we're now in.

But more compromise and baby steps will get us out, right?

Quote Originally Posted by greg olmstead View Post
    I'd be happy with provincial firearm legislation. What's best for one province is not best for the others. If Ontario wants to ban semi autos why should Saskatchewan or Alberta suffer.

And to hell with all those Ontarians, right?

Have you forgotten that your province had an NDP gov't not so long ago?

Blair was the Toronto Police chief before entering politics, he knows that the shootings in Toronto are gang related for the most part. The Jamaican gangs are always fighting other rival gangs for bigger turf. Gang guns, come mainly, from being smuggled in south of the border, they dont go to a gun shop to buy one. What did he do to stop the gangs from taking over in Toronto ...nothing.
    If he had designated them dangerous offenders and deported them back to their homelands the streets would be much safer. He knows this ban is just fear mongering to get elected again. As long as the Liberals control Toronto and Montreal seats they can keep the power. We can never win, its only wishful thinking on our part. Separation of all the western provinces, Manitoba to B.C. is the only way to go now. We have accepted to be ridden rough shod over for far too long by the east. There is no Wexit in BC that I can find a contact for, we need one now.

As an ex-Ontarian, I'm embarrassed for my birth province.

Could you imagine a political campaign running on shutting down the Ontario manufacturing sector? That is a huge greenhouse gas contributor and an enormous driver of Eastern Canadian wealth. Instead Trudeau is targeting for purely cynical political gain a major driver of Western Canadian wealth. Add in the deliberate targeting of firearms culture which is Western/rural culture and you have the recipe for a dysfunction country that no longer works together.

I may not be old enough to remember too far back back but Trudeau is the worst PM I can certainly remember.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CLW .45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidrowe66 View Post
    Could you please explain why Jason Kenny can't use the not withstanding clause. I was under the impression this is something he could do.
    The notwithstanding clause allows a province to say, “screw you we will not protect your rights as enumerated in certain sections of the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms,” to people within that province.

That is what he could do.

If the notwithstanding clause worked the way the unicorn worshippers think it does, Ralph Klein et al would have used it instead of going to court over C-68.
    - Gun Control is about making it unlawful for you to use, carry, or possess a firearm.
    - All restrictions/prohibitions must be repealed.
    - Middle ground? What middle ground?

CGN frequent flyer
    Submitted to Jason Kenney;
    Dear Premier:

As you are aware and have so well stated, Canada stands as a land divided. The results of Monday’s federal election clearly show different regions of the country have vastly different expectations of Confederation.

Among the numerous areas of contention is the issue of firearms rights. Fed-up firearms owners in the West will no longer accept being scapegoats for Toronto’s ineffectiveness in controlling gang violence. Prime Minister Trudeau has announced his intention to ban certain firearms from law-abiding Canadians in a useless gesture that makes us all less free, and no safer. We will not accept this attack on our liberty; it is a clear violation of our Section 7 Charter rights.

I urge you, in your negotiations with Ottawa, to press for immediate retraction of threats of firearms bans, and the repeal of Bill C-71, An Act to amend certain Acts and Regulations in relation to firearms. The Liberal government must also commit to a complete reworking of the discriminatory, inconsistent, and at times incomprehensible Firearms Act. Anything less is unacceptable.

Thank you.
    Remember High River! Who's protecting YOUR civil rights?

Bernier...who?

What I'm saying below is that these are the topics from around the watercooler, its not just a "lets jump on and join that page thingy and hit a couple "like" icons on the web" emotional rant. (and if you see this as a western emotional rant, fair game because I am on the web here) There are serious and educated people though who are fed up enough to start to demonize Quebec and at least Toronto in Ont which will I think, erode today's Canada until it finally does splinter. I've tried to summarize what I'm hearing (and saying as well).

The thing about Wexit is that it may not require a total, irrevocable separation as the ultimate end game. We could go, and ON OUR TERMS agree to return to participate in a renewed and rethought Canadian federation. What might that look like?

1) an economic union (monetary policy, common currency)
    2) no transfer payments .. Quebec can pay for their own social programs or leave
    3) a Canadian free trade zone - perhaps with some common legal structures. This could leave firearms as a provincial jurisdiction so GTA can ban whatever it wants.
    4) Federated "provinces" or "states" (or whatever) negotiate common standards for social, monetary, language rights, cultural considerations. Provinces can adopt their own official languages as Quebec has effectively done.
    5) Federation input to common issues such as fisheries, national infrastructure such as rail and transport, telecom,
    6) Federated defense
    many other things I can't even conceive of.

Such a federation could be structured to reflect each entity's contribution to the whole .. population is irrelevant, contribution to each federation initiative (economic or otherwise) would determine the entity's influence on that topic. (You have a big population, no GDP and want cheap daycare, social housing, subsidized housing or education .. great - you pay for it.) We need a coastguard and defense force - we chip in based on a non population based formula tied to the outcomes. (Alberta / Sask benefit from a secure coast .. so there's a contribution needed from landlocked provinces).

Yes - it would be a long and painful exercise in unity but would be a more sustainable future if it worked.
    Funding the "Bank of Dad" for over 30 years.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bluelynx's Avatar
    This issue was dealt with during Bill C68. Because guns are under the Criminal Code they are immune to the non with standing clause. That is why Kim Campbell's non Criminal Code registry was turned into a Criminal Code issue by the Liberals.

A separate Alberta will have to be immune of the Criminal Code of Canada. By golly, I am starting to write like a Quebec person.

As for Cukier's grave dancing day in December, nobody in the west cares about it.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by davidm357 View Post
    Blair was the Toronto Police chief before entering politics, he knows that the shootings in Toronto are gang related for the most part. The Jamaican gangs are always fighting other rival gangs for bigger turf. Gang guns, come mainly, from being smuggled in south of the border, they dont go to a gun shop to buy one. What did he do to stop the gangs from taking over in Toronto ...nothing.
    If he had designated them dangerous offenders and deported them back to their homelands the streets would be much safer. He knows this ban is just fear mongering to get elected again. As long as the Liberals control Toronto and Montreal seats they can keep the power. We can never win, its only wishful thinking on our part. Separation of all the western provinces, Manitoba to B.C. is the only way to go now. We have accepted to be ridden rough shod over for far too long by the east. There is no Wexit in BC that I can find a contact for, we need one now.
    +1.