Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4141617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Action: Gun Ban is a Western Alienation Issue

Post Trudy's 'Gun Ban' is not a Western Alienation issue.

I'm a gun collector; I live in British Columbia. In the last century (1980-1989) I lived in northern Alberta, so I understand your sense of "alienation" from our Feds in Ottawa.
    Apparently, BC is no longer considered part of your "West", so I guess that makes me part of the "Extreme West".

I was disappointed, but not surprised by the result of the recent Federal election. I'd been predicting the Liberals ending with a minority when He bought the pipeline; that cost him a lot of votes.

But remember, for better or worse, Canada is a Democracy. It's not perfect--it's sorely in need of reform, but it's the best system we've got. 'Electoral Reform' was another one of Trudy's broken promises that resulted in his failure to win the critical seats he needed.

Threatening our nation with "civil war" is a surefire loser. Things here are not that bad. Do your homework: An authentic civil war would result in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of our own brothers and sisters, and to what end? Canada would end up being gobbled up by one or more of the Superpowers.

There are 'Gunnies' in every province, so this is, by far, not an issue special to The West. That's why it's important that those of us wanting to keep our legal firearms unite in our common purpose.

If you attempt to turn our firearms issues into part of your 'Western Alienation' stand, you may end up losing critical support from the rest of Canada.

I'm in favour of keeping our existing CANADIAN FIREARMS ACT as is, maybe enforcing the parts regarding acquisition and more in-depth background checks.

Of course, we all know that "gun control" has been a political football that's put into play at election times, and has little relevance in the 'real world'.
    Rather than insisting our government "repeal" the CFA (a forlorn hope) I think our efforts would be better focused on stopping the trade in illegal guns being funnelled through our borders. If we can show the government, and the voting public, that we're 'all on the same side' when it comes to illegal possession and gang violence, we will cease to be seen as "a bunch of dangerous crackpots whose only interest is in murdering cute, furry creatures in the
    wild.
    "
    We may even be seen as some of "the good guys".

BANNED
    I think it’s time to show them some teeth(Not calling for revolution).
    This mellow way of thinking brought us here, right here where we have to fight for our basic rights. I think this is the last train to catch and don’t be naive, if they really wanted to stop illegal guns coming from US they could. If they really wanted to get rid of gangs, trust me, they could. They don’t want to work with us, they want to significantly reduce the amount of semi autos in civilian possession (firepower). That’s step one...You can figure out the rest. We all know that banning handguns and semi Autos is nonsense. It won’t do anything to reduce shootings. Those shootings were done by criminals and mentally ill. Why are we being blamed for something we didn’t do and how is it that none of these incidents ever go to “waste”? Think about it. Everything happens for reason.

Arrow I was never a Liberal, but...

I agree with you (mostly) .

But this "gun ban" is the easiest way for the Liberals to get the votes of 'Nervous Nellies' who believe that "all guns are evil, and must be destroyed." As I said, Trudy knows it as well as we do: Banning guns will not prevent gun-related crimes. It's that 'political football' that gets put into play during the run-up to elections. Too many liberal voters see it as a 'quick fix' to the 'gun problem'. From where I stand, it's just adding to the anxieties of all legal gun owners while we wait for the ax to fall. And there are the looming fears of losing our treasured collections and, in many cases, our livelihood. It's pretty obvious to me that the Liberals don't consider gun enthusiasts to be a significant voting block with the power to influence their agenda.

For years, I've espoused social democratic values and principles, while maintaining my commitment to collecting historical firearms. But Trudeau's intransigence on this issue has forced me to change my views on the Liberals' interests. It seems there is no place for me in Trudeau's Party. Because of this (and a few other broken promises) I've decided to look elsewhere for national leadership.

BTW--With all the news of the PM meeting with the Provincial Premiers this week, I've not heard one word of gun bans since the election.
    With his new minority government, PM's position is a lot more tenuous, so he well may be reluctant to raise the 'gun ban' issue again, unless he can manage to regain his majority in the next election.

Hopefully, we'll be able to flush that slippery Turd away in 2020!
    Last edited by Cold Warrior; 11-13-2019 at 04:13 AM. Reason: 'Provincial MPs' should have read "Provincial Premiers".

I've not seen or heard of gun rights and ownership being a western separatist issue but I think it should be. I hope that Kenney will push to maintain what we have but I'm very concerned that he's not doing anything really significant or tangible to really address these issues. So I have some real concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    I agree with you (mostly) .

But this "gun ban" is the easiest way for the Liberals to get the votes of 'Nervous Nellies' who believe that "all guns are evil, and must be destroyed." As I said, Trudy knows it as well as we do: Banning guns will not prevent gun-related crimes. It's that 'political football' that gets put into play during the run-up to elections. Too many liberal voters see it as a 'quick fix' to the 'gun problem'. From where I stand, it's just adding to the anxieties of all legal gun owners while we wait for the ax to fall. And there are the looming fears of losing our treasured collections and, in many cases, our livelihood. It's pretty obvious to me that the Liberals don't consider gun enthusiasts to be a significant voting block with the power to influence their agenda.

For years, I've espoused social democratic values and principles, while maintaining my commitment to collecting historical firearms. But Trudeau's intransigence on this issue has forced me to change my views on the Liberals' interests. It seems there is no place for me in Trudeau's Party. Because of this (and a few other broken promises) I've decided to look elsewhere for national leadership.

BTW--With all the news of the PM meeting with the Provincial Premiers this week, I've not heard one word of gun bans since the election.
    With his new minority government, PM's position is a lot more tenuous, so he well may be reluctant to raise the 'gun ban' issue again, unless he can manage to regain his majority in the next election.

Hopefully, we'll be able to flush that slippery Turd away in 2020!
    I heard on the radio this morning, the turd had a meeting with the bloc leader and a gun ban was on the agenda. He's trying to drum up support for his plan before he drops the axe on us.

Quote Originally Posted by BG011 View Post
    Rangebob, thank you!

My question is, is there anything we can do to bring AR platform back to non restricted status?
    Yup! Vote Wexit.
    Funding the "Bank of Dad" for over 30 years.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scott_N's Avatar
    The cynic in me feels that if we treat possible gun bans as a western alienation issue, Trudeau will want to go full throttle ahead with it.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_N View Post
    The cynic in me feels that if we treat possible gun bans as a western alienation issue, Trudeau will want to go full throttle ahead with it.
    This is treason in my opinion.
    We simply shouldn’t comply with gun ban and let’s see how are they going to take them from us?
    Are they going to go from door to door? Are they going to boot our doors? Demo(N)cracy? This is humiliating!

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by bogozzo View Post
    Yup! Vote Wexit.
    Sure but how’s this going to influence anything regarding gun laws?

I don't think it is a western alienation issue alone. It is still a rural/city divide. I live just about as far east as you can get (Cape Breton Island), most of the people I know locally agree that bans are a waste of time. A few even agree with me that AR's and other semi-automatics are not more a threat than any other gun. The bigger problem is that in every city (including small cities on the east coast, such as Sydney and Halifax), the majority seem to buy into the Toronto, left wing ideology. I can't understand how people can't see that a semi-automatic is a problem. Especially since they are already pinned to 5 rounds by law. It is unfortunate that the media doesn't seem to understand (or care to understand) the reality.