Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: Action: Gun Ban is a Western Alienation Issue

I don't live out west but this a great idea to apply pressure in way they will have to listen!

CGN Regular Animatronic Fireman's Avatar
    Personally I think asking for Provinces to have firearm jurisdiction makes sense. If this is something provinces ask for, Federal government may be happy to pass on potential burden of legislation that will be bound to anger some.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CLW .45's Avatar

Stalling Bans Is Not A Step - It Is An Exercise In Futility

Quote Originally Posted by frabill View Post
    My MP has said the public is afraid of anything other than status quo, he's probably right. We will have to change public opinion to advance IMO. Stalling any bans is a good first step.
    Your MP is either feeding you this line because he is a lying sack of crap, or because he believed the lying sack of crap who fed it to him.

The general public have three basic attitudes:

1. Get rid of them because...

2. Don’t want government interfering if I decide that I need one

3. Guns? What about them?

The first are a small segment, many of whom will never listen to facts.

The second are a small segment who generally have no idea what the law is, which is also true of the first, but understand that government has their thumb heavily on the scale.

The third just want to live their lives, tend to like free things, and aren’t big on having to accept responsibility for themselves.

Now, while firearms owners and gun-grabbers exhibit some of the above, neither group can be considered part of the general population for our purposes.

Something that all three groups in the general pop understand, that certain members of the shooting sports seem to be entirely oblivious to, is that firearms have one use that they all consider to be legitimate. To protect life!

Do they agree on the when, where, which firearm, and if justified in a given circumstance? Nope.

But they all agree that in some circumstances a firearm is necessary for defence.

The only education any of these people need is to the effect that use, carriage, and possession of firearms to protect life really is a Canadian thing, and that no government agent is qualified to decide, for them, whether they should take up arms in defence of their life, liberty, or property.

Some of each group will see sport as legit, but only life saving is universally recognized.

Left, right, or on the fence - only for themselves, for everyone, or only for themselves and their loved ones - that is the one common thread.
    - Gun Control is about making it unlawful for you to use, carry, or possess a firearm.
    - All restrictions/prohibitions must be repealed.
    - Middle ground? What middle ground?

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by CLW .45 View Post
    Your MP is either feeding you this line because he is a lying sack of crap, or because he believed the lying sack of crap who fed it to him.

The general public have three basic attitudes:

1. Get rid of them because...

2. Don’t want government interfering if I decide that I need one

3. Guns? What about them?

The first are a small segment, many of whom will never listen to facts.

The second are a small segment who generally have no idea what the law is, which is also true of the first, but understand that government has their thumb heavily on the scale.

The third just want to live their lives, tend to like free things, and aren’t big on having to accept responsibility for themselves.

Now, while firearms owners and gun-grabbers exhibit some of the above, neither group can be considered part of the general population for our purposes.

Something that all three groups in the general pop understand, that certain members of the shooting sports seem to be entirely oblivious to, is that firearms have one use that they all consider to be legitimate. To protect life!

Do they agree on the when, where, which firearm, and if justified in a given circumstance? Nope.

But they all agree that in some circumstances a firearm is necessary for defence.

The only education any of these people need is to the effect that use, carriage, and possession of firearms to protect life really is a Canadian thing, and that no government agent is qualified to decide, for them, whether they should take up arms in defence of their life, liberty, or property.

Some of each group will see sport as legit, but only life saving is universally recognized.

Left, right, or on the fence - only for themselves, for everyone, or only for themselves and their loved ones - that is the one common thread.
    Or you know, the public probably doesn't want full auto and concealed carry because the public are sheep.

nO cOmPrOmIsE - is all I basically get from your posts. You can't go from our gun laws today and skip ahead to full auto, there has to be some steps in between to climb. You've been trying the "a gun is a gun is a gun" approach for a while now, has ANY MP ever responded to you "yes sir boomer sir I agree with you"

Because I doubt any MP has replied agreeing that a gun is a gun, let canadians have any gun they want.

Uber Super GunNutz
    If you don't understand the point of the OP please don't bother commenting.

He made a great point, and we have a great opportunity to get some potential leverage. Use it wisely.
    "He who dares not offend, cannot be honest."
    - Thomas Paine

"Oppression maketh a wise man mad"

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by FirearmsEnthusiast View Post
    Totally agree - firearm ownership especially semi-autos owned by ranchers, farmers, hunters and target shooters in the West need to be included in the western provinces debate. The Liberals and NDP need to understand that pursuing any new legislation or bans in the face of other critical East-West issues would be a losing proposition!

In the meantime, we also need to be pushing the various firearm orgs to work together - drop the differences - and develop and implement coordinated plans for a multi-level legal challenge...we must actively oppose any legislative or regulation-making process or legal owners will lose their guns, and it will make the prohibitions in the 1990’s look mild by comparison!
    Yes

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Paul_1982's Avatar
    CLW is one of the No Compromise guys. I have no issue with that crew telling MP’s what they want, as we are all free to do so.

Maybe some guys in that crew don’t have regular interactions with the average non-gun owning public. From my own personal interactions, asking for CC and full auto at THIS time of the debate would be shooting us in the foot.

I’ve actually heard many non-gun owners state the Liberal gun ban is ridiculous, and will do nothing to stop gun crime. That’s the group we need to keep on our side. Their eyes will roll in the back of their heads if we come at them with full auto no compromise statements.

My own opinions, YMMV.
    CSSA and CCFR member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rajczak_kashka's Avatar
    Didn’t even get to page 2 before the bickering began....

I'd be happy with provincial firearm legislation. What's best for one province is not best for the others. If Ontario wants to ban semi autos why should Saskatchewan or Alberta suffer.

I think this is an excellent idea, we firearms owners need to have our voices heard and understood.