Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liability Insurance vs Legal Expense Insurance Whats the Difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Capri Insurance View Post
    Have a look at our website for some claims examples https://firearmlegaldefence.com/gun-...sed-gun-owner/. This gentleman was charged with improper storage as the charging officer misidentified the firearm.

you also get unlimited access to the Telephone Legal Advice service. This service allows you to speak with a lawyer about an personal legal matter and is a great way to avoid making honest mistakes by knowing the rules.
    Huh. That's an extremely odd case. I guess when it's your word against theirs you'd better have a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by lintocs View Post
    Huh. That's an extremely odd case. I guess when it's your word against theirs you'd better have a lawyer.
    And there you have it. It costs money to defend yourself in this country. Especially when the authorities see an opportunity to make an example of a particular incident.
    CCFR Member & CSSA Member • “Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.” - HST

I have used the phone service regarding Storage and display of some firearms and they have been more then helpful. Well worth the sub $100.00 fee

For the $80 I paid it's well worth the peace of mind.

Firearm Legal Defence responds if you're wrongfully charged with a number of covered firearms charges IE Improper Storage, Transportation, Use, Handling or Display of a firearm.
    Not baiting, honestly just want to know. It says I am covered "if I am wrongfully charged". Does that mean the coverage wont apply if I am found guilty?

If a guilty verdict is found, would I suddenly receive a bill from the office, as I was "rightfully charged".

I'm just on the fence about this service, and this would push me too either side.
    I am proud supporter of the: Canadian Armed Forces, RCMP, Firefighters, Paramedics, Border Control
    Basically, if your put your life in danger to better this country, you have my respect.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilove12gshotguns View Post
    Not baiting, honestly just want to know. It says I am covered "if I am wrongfully charged". Does that mean the coverage wont apply if I am found guilty?

If a guilty verdict is found, would I suddenly receive a bill from the office, as I was "rightfully charged".

I'm just on the fence about this service, and this would push me too either side.
    Wrongfully charged, guilty and "found guilty" are 3 different things. The policy doesn't say anything about the verdict, or the assumed verdict. You can read the policy here: https://firearmlegaldefence.com/wp-c...2-Nov.2018.pdf

As a gun owner, the part that's important to you is mostly section 1.1 and section 3. Section 1.1 states that the policy will pay the Legal Expenses to defend the Insured’s legal rights in relation to the Insured being prosecuted for an offence arising out of the use, storage, display, transportation or handling of:
    (i) a firearm pursuant to the and associated Regulations and sections 86 (careless use), 91 (unauthorized possession), 94 (unauthorized possession in motor vehicle) or 105 (losing or finding) of the Criminal Code.
    (ii) a Bow pursuant to any violation of a municipality by-law.

With some exclusions.

Section 3 states a bunch of exclusions to all clauses, including 1.1.

The policy doesn't protect against much. It should protect in case of prosecution for pretty much any articles in section III of the CC, articles between 84 and 117 (except maybe 98). I don't see why a policy should protect against prosection for articles 94 (Unauthorized possession in motor vehicle), but not 95 (Possession of prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition). That's just one example.

The best thing about the program is probably the question hotline. People don't know much about section III of the CC or about the FA. Even long-time gun owners have probably never read any of that, even casually. So having a phone number to call with questions probably save some hassle and reassure gun-owners more than the policy itself.

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilove12gshotguns View Post

If the claim is covered and at the end you're found guilty there is no charge back from the insurance company.

Expired Business Member
    I've been getting this question a lot lately so I'm commenting to bring it back up for people to see.

-Zach

CGN Regular
    This is an important post. Many don't know the difference.

The CCFR liability insurance is awesome since it's primary. But that awesome default policy doesn't cover criminal legal expenses.

That's why I have Capri's legal expense insurance product through CCFR, and CCW Safe legal expense insurance when in the USA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12