Thread: Bulk 357 magnum ammo back in stock

Business Member Western Metal Inc's Avatar

Bulk 357 magnum ammo back in stock

We have just finished a bunch of re-manufactured 357 magnum ammo. This is 158 grain and comes in bulk 250 round boxes. Enjoy!!

https://www.westernmetal.ca/shooting...rw-357-158-250

CGN frequent flyer
    Love this stuff
    Take someone shooting - Encourage someone to get a Pal/ RPal

This batch is flying out the door! Get it before you have to wait another month or longer!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer AB.boy's Avatar
    I bought some from the last batch and a couple of the rounds had the bullets seated too far in compared to the rest. I'm hesitant to buy again. Couldn't they possibly be over pressure if unnoticed and used?

Quote Originally Posted by AB.boy View Post
    I bought some from the last batch and a couple of the rounds had the bullets seated too far in compared to the rest. I'm hesitant to buy again. Couldn't they possibly be over pressure if unnoticed and used?
    Great question. Not many people realize this but according to saami specs, the overall length of some cartridges can vary by more than 160 thou (5/32"). On the 357 the overall length has a range of 50 thou. As for pressure, the 357 is a fairly high pressure cartridge by design. According to Hodgdon, the pressure range from light to max is 28,600 to 41,900 CUP. Since we load our ammo to the middle or slightly above middle I am very confident that if an overall length was less to the point that it caused an increase in pressure we would still be well within the saami spec range. However, that being said if you are not comfortable shooting them please PM me and we will arrange to get them shipped back to me - I love shooting our 357!!! If you have any other questions as well please feel free to message me.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by AB.boy View Post
    In general, no. The maximum pressure during a shot doesn't happen until after the bullet has started moving, so it's not particularly relevant, especially for a straightwall cartridge, unless the bullet is stuck. There is also some "slack" built into the system, into that a firearm should be able to withstand the saami pressure +10%, and ammos shouldn't be loaded over saami pressure. Overpressure generally happens because of too much powder (duh!) or, more dangerously, the wrong type of powder.

What can be a lot more dangerous in the case of a 357 magnum that would be too short, is if it can fit into a 38special revolver. Since 38special is rated for 17k psi and 357 is up to 35k psi (about double the pressure), a 357 magnum round shot into a 38 revolver can very well blow it up.