Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GSG 16 Bolt Catch Spring

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Contacted BL. They want me to obtain one through a warranty claim. Won't be seeing it this year for sure.

Moe
    Thank you Stanislav Petrov..... every living thing thanks you.

Upon looking mine is now long gone from my first cleaning. Probably when I used compressed air to blow out the upper receiver.... oops. I didnt notice any change in functionality at first but without the spring when the last round hold open feature kicks in and you change mags the rifle will fail to chamber a round from the fresh mag and the action will remain open after the much loved HK slap is deployed. I took apart several varieties of mechanical pens and most springs are too wide to fit the recess properly. The winner for me was the spring I cannibalized from a standard bic mechanical pencil with one or two coils from either end carefully trimmed off. Functions good as new once again.
    Last edited by unsightedlight; 11-03-2019 at 12:35 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by unsightedlight View Post
    Upon looking mine is now long gone from my first cleaning. Probably when I used compressed air to blow out the upper receiver.... opps. I didnt notice any change in functionality at first but without the spring when the last round hold open feature kicks in and you change mags the rifle will fail to chamber a round from the fresh mag and the action will remain open after the much loved HK slap is deployed. I took apart several varieties of mechanical pens and most springs are too wide to fit the recess properly. The winner for me was the spring I cannibalized from a standard bic mechanical pencil with one or two coils from either end carefully trimmed off. Functions good as new once again.
    Can you post a pic of the pencil to get me running again? So I don't have to buy every model of Bic pencil in town.

Thanks
    Moe

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Can you post a pic of the pencil to get me running again? So I don't have to buy every model of Bic pencil in town.

Thanks
    Moe
    Name:  SmartSelect_20191101-154928_Google.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  22.4 KB

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rugerman's Avatar
    Does anyone know where one can get one of these springs. The youtube vids out there on the GSG 5 / 522 advise owners about the spring departing on disassembly and either mine did (but I was watching for it and didn't see it) or it was missed on assembly by GSG but I need one. Anyone have an idea what will work or if Blue Line would have them?

Cheers
    Moe
    Quote Originally Posted by Itr452 View Post
    Uhm i have a question is this it?
    This spring fell out when i was taking apart the gun to clean..and i cant figure out where it came from

Quote Originally Posted by unsightedlight View Post
    Upon looking mine is now long gone from my first cleaning. Probably when I used compressed air to blow out the upper receiver.... opps. I didnt notice any change in functionality at first but without the spring when the last round hold open feature kicks in and you change mags the rifle will fail to chamber a round from the fresh mag and the action will remain open after the much loved HK slap is deployed. I took apart several varieties of mechanical pens and most springs are too wide to fit the recess properly. The winner for me was the spring I cannibalized from a standard bic mechanical pencil with one or two coils from either end carefully trimmed off. Functions good as new once again.
    I really felt for you guys. Know the feeling: New gun, want to clean and lube it, figure out how it functions, etc. Then a part goes missing or you have one left over after it's all together. So when i was putting my GSG 16 away after disassembling and cleaning it, I was rather dismayed to see a little spring on the floor. Jeebus! Is this the spring everyone is talking about? The one that GSG does not mention in the manual?
    I figured it must be because when i went to reassemble the rifle, the bolt bound on something and didn't want to go in unless I held it upright, contrary to the pics in the manual. Went and looked at FullMetal Jackets video and he shows it. And mine was missing. (I was just lucky I came across it on the floor.) When I put it back together with the spring in, upside down as in the manual and video, the bolt went in nicely. Here is the video, btw. Well worth the watch.

https://youtu.be/i-OmYXYB8xw

Some things i have noticed, and others as well, but thought i would mention again.
    a) the trigger adjustment screw is self threading. Make sure it's straight when you start it. It's long and wants to wander.
    b) watch FMJ's video so you know where that spring is. I will be removing mine every time i clean it now. Have a safe place to put it.
    c) replace those screws that hold the stock on and the lower in place. Get those HK push pins. Trying to unscrew those things is really annoying.
    d) the screw you have to remove to take the plate out to remove the bolt has a small lock washer on it. It falls off that screw easily especially when taking that screw out of the receiver. Take that backing plate out over a bench or table so you don't lose track of it if it does fall off.

Moe, have you had a really good look on your floor or bench? It has to be there somewhere. Hope you get it resolved soon and are out shooting your GSG!
    Banning legal handguns is nothing more than a victory for symbolism over substance, for activity over achievement.
    © National Post 2006

This is my first rimfire firrarm so i had some issues reassembling lol but when i watched fullmetalfmj videos, it helped me put everything back. All is fine and dandy now
    Last edited by Itr452; 11-03-2019 at 04:52 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    unsightedlight - Thank you for the pic. was about to go out to get the exact one when my wife noticed it on my screen reading this post and told me she had the exact same ones. Saved me a trip.

Rugerman - Thanks for the good advice. Many of those I already do. I did look very hard for the spring. Even ran a magnet over the entire floor.

The warranty claim is going to work but BL told me they don't plan to get spare parts until next year, so spring bingo is going to be a thing in the GSG 16 community for a while.

Cheers
    Moe

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    unsightedlight - That spring worked perfectly.

Cheers
    Moe

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rugerman's Avatar
    unsightedlight - That spring worked perfectly.

Cheers
    Moe
    Good news!!
    Banning legal handguns is nothing more than a victory for symbolism over substance, for activity over achievement.
    © National Post 2006

CGN Regular
    Will the hk takedown pins work on this gun. The 2 screws will get old fast for cleaning

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast