Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firing line question of etiquette

CGN Regular

Firing line question of etiquette

I’ve been a member of a range that has had a fixed firing line and dedicated RSO for a while now. I just joined another range where the rules are a little different such that the first member on the range assumes the duties of RSO. This range also allows the first shooter who arrives to set the firing line for that range. Here’s my question...say I arrive first and want to shoot my handgun at 15 yards on the 50 yard range. I advance the firing line and set up at 15 yards. A little later some members show up and want to shoot rimfire at 50 yards on the same range. What happens? What’s the etiquette here?

You are acting RSO unless you pass if off to someone else or someone more qualified
    Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience-George Carlin

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mightymoose410 View Post
    You are acting RSO unless you pass if off to someone else or someone more qualified
    What about the firing line. Do I keep shooting at 15y until I’m done or stop and let the others shoot at 50 and wrap up my handgun shooting session?

I don't understand. If it is a fixed firing line (most ranges), why can't 15 yds and 50 yds be used at the same time ?
    “It is not inequality which is the real misfortune, it is dependence.”
    ― Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by stampede View Post
    I don't understand. If it is a fixed firing line (most ranges), why can't 15 yds and 50 yds be used at the same time ?
    I think the OP is talking about a situation like an action range where targets might be at the backstop but the firing positions may be set at various distances.

OP - At my range it is first come first serve but every range is different.
    “The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.” ― Plato

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Are we talking a fixed backstop here?

Are there multiple bays at your range or just this one?

Sounds like an inconvenience to have only one range with a movable firing line.

In your situation, since you were there first, I would stick with the 15 but let the other shooter know how long I would be there. Clear communication will help a lot.
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

Our range is first come first served but we have a few ranges at different distances that makes life easier. If I see someone shooting pistol at 15 m I will look elsewhere or politely ask at a break in shooting if they will be there a while. There should be no way that someone is shooting 50 while someone is shooting 15 on the same range at the same time even if off set from each other.

CGN Regular
    Two ranges and a trap range. One range is divided into 25/50/100 yard fixed targets, the other range has 50y fixed targets. I was told first person on the range can determine the firing line if say you want to shoot handguns at 10-15y. Obviously I wouldn't use the 100y range for this, I'd advance to 15y on either of the 50y ranges or the 25y section of the main range. What I was concerned about was if a group of 3-4 people turn up wanting to shoot at 50y but they cant as I would be in front of the 50y firing line.

CGN Regular
    Pretty simple, if I'm first on the range and someone else wants to share the range I just tell them what I'm shooting and at what yardage. Take it or leave it. If I'm shooting at 15 and they're looking to shoot from 50 I'll gladly shoot from 50 as wel, if I brought a gun for that. Otherwise, I'll let them know when I plan on packing up.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jza View Post
    Pretty simple, if I'm first on the range and someone else wants to share the range I just tell them what I'm shooting and at what yardage. Take it or leave it. If I'm shooting at 15 and they're looking to shoot from 50 I'll gladly shoot from 50 as wel, if I brought a gun for that. Otherwise, I'll let them know when I plan on packing up.
    OK. Understood. I generally shoot for an hour or so handgun for practice and so was worried about causing a line-up if a group wanted to shoot at further distance and arrived after me. The new range I'm at seems mostly used by folks sighting in and using hunting or precision rifles and not so much handguns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast