Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Metal Trigger Guards and AICS Mags for Steyr SSG 69 and Steyr Mannlicher L

Yes, it's a new old gun, for sure. Again, I am very happy to have the kit installed so that I can shoot the rifle without the nagging fear in the back of my mind of cracking the triggerguard and/or magazine. I have been wanting something like this for years; I can now shoot the gun as much as I have always wanted to.

Thanks for those torque settings! Will be adjusting that today and then going out to make some noise with the Steyr; mine's the 20-inch version, no muzzle threads, otherwise identical to yours. Still kicking myself about missing the 16-inch SSG that came and went on the EE a few years back. Shoulda, woulda, coulda...
    Eat right, don't drink, don't smoke, exercise, get lots of sleep...and die anyway!

If you want to buy it, say "I'll take it".
    If you want to make an offer, say "I'll take it for $X".
    If you want to practice your negotiating skills by asking if I will accept $X, with no intention of actually buying...say nothing.

Business Member Nordic Marksman's Avatar
    Re that front bedding bolt...

The rear one is drop in but double check your front one. In the SSG69 there is not much screw-in depth in the receiver. When adjusting this screw always install the trigger guard in the stock (without the barreled action), put the front screw in it and measure the length protruding out of the stock. It should be a little less than the screw-in depth of the SSG receiver. About 0,5mm is great. If it`s some tenth of a millimetre longer, take a file and reduce the length a little bit.
    Than everything (the trigger guard, the receiver and the stock in the middle) is perfect pulled together.

I was a bit surprised when I noted the shallow screw engagement at the front of the receiver, but I think you mean 5mm, rather than 0.5mm...?

I was about to dismantle it and add the setscrews that are "optional possible", but just happened to try out a plastic MDT mag that I happened to have on hand. The plastic mag fits so snugly that there is absolutely zero movement or noise. It is a friction fit all the way into the magwell, and requires a firm pull to remove when activating the mag release, as opposed to the metal ones that drop right out. So, I think I will leave the setscrews out. The metal mags can rattle all they want when I use them at the range, and will be quick and convenient to remove/replace for range use. For hunting, a plastic mag will be perfect; silent, and almost impossible to eject accidentally and lose. Still haven't decided yet about the mag release. I can't test the plastic mag for feeding since mine is a .223 version; need to get a .308 plastic one for testing.

Loving this set-up!
    Eat right, don't drink, don't smoke, exercise, get lots of sleep...and die anyway!

If you want to practice your negotiating skills by asking if I will accept $X, with no intention of actually buying...say nothing.

jjohnwm

No...What I meant was you should have a min of .5mm clearance before the screw bottoms out in the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by jjohnwm View Post
    I was a bit surprised when I noted the shallow screw engagement at the front of the receiver, but I think you mean 5mm, rather than 0.5mm...?

Loving this set-up!

Ooops...I mis-read that originally. I see what you mean now, thanks for the clarification.

A little over 200 rounds through the gun yesterday, using both metal and plastic MDT mags. No malfunctions or misfeeds, all good. That's probably the single longest shooting session I've ever had with this gun, and it was so nice not to have the nagging worry of cracking plastic hanging over my head. Anyone who has an SSG69 and wants to use it as a serious shooter rather than just an occasional novelty toy needs this item.

Any idea of a future option or compatibility for a long action Model M?

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr101 View Post
    I will check with Styria for you on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr101 View Post
    Word Back from Styria...

Model M will come next year. I hope first quarter.
    There are not so much requests for it so I first must finish my new company building.

Once they are ready, we will bring some in.

CGN frequent flyer
    Got metal bottom installed on my PII. Works like a charm, happy, happy. If Nordic has another sale on these, I will get same set up for my green machine SSG 69.
    big bear

Fresh shipment arrived.

Last edited by Nordic Marksman; 09-19-2021 at 07:51 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast