Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Metal Trigger Guards and AICS Mags for Steyr SSG 69 and Steyr Mannlicher L

...you won't understand.
    Eat right, don't drink, don't smoke, exercise, get lots of sleep...and die anyway!

If you want to buy it, say "I'll take it".
    If you want to make an offer, say "I'll take it for $X".
    If you want to practice your negotiating skills by asking if I will accept $X, with no intention of actually buying...say nothing.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rebel Rouser's Avatar
    Any news?

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal"
    Colt Firearms advertising slogan.
    Diemaco #1 Fanboy

Business Member Nordic Marksman's Avatar
    These should be shipping to us next week. Anxiously awaiting tracking information!!!

Outstanding news! Looking forward to this item.
    Eat right, don't drink, don't smoke, exercise, get lots of sleep...and die anyway!

If you want to practice your negotiating skills by asking if I will accept $X, with no intention of actually buying...say nothing.

Kits have been shipped and are well on the way. Hopefully we see them roll in this week. More details once they arrive, will post up high res detailed photos.

price?

They have ARRIVED. Wow. these are nicer than I ever thought. The quality is outstanding.
    Detailed photos and pricing shortly

We just installed one of these sets. Wow. It totally changes the SSG69 into a very solid piece of kit.

These sets will be priced at $529.95.
    This is the complete set including hex head bedding bolts, short and long mag release.

Also included are 2 trigger weight reduction springs. You can get your trigger weight down to 12.5oz (350 grams) if desired!

We will have some very detailed photos tomorrow for you, but these are a work of art and fit like a glove.

A few for now...

Name:  febcb496-5a20-45cf-b3ac-6a48bc15c1e7.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  64.3 KB
    Name:  17ec8b4d-93ee-441c-95d4-24535a9bfd39.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  103.2 KB
    Name:  3c24d3c0-230b-461a-b96d-ec1996c801ef.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  70.0 KB

Holding off ordering for a couple of days rewarded me with the opportunity to take advantage of Nordic's Labour Day sale. My order (mag well kit plus 2 MDT metal mags) arrived today and I installed it this evening. Beautifully machined and finished, tight fit. If there is a negative...and, of course, there is always a negative...it is the included instructions. They are well illustrated but very vague and not much help.

I chose to install the heavier of the two included trigger springs, which still dropped the trigger weight of the rifle significantly. It remains very crisp and consistent, and strikes a good balance between light target-only use and a heavier, safer pull for hunting use. I will likely utilize the rifle for deer this year, and may try the lighter spring afterwards.

The front action screw would have required approximately 1 thread to be dressed down in order to prevent a slight interference with the closing of the bolt; this eventuality is mentioned in the instructions. Rather than take this step, I instead installed two of the six included washer/shims between the trigger guard and the stock, one at each screw. After a bit of test-firing I will likely remove these and shorten the screw, making certain that there is no bolt/feed-ramp interference before doing so (again, a caution is in the directions regarding this).

The magwell/triggerguard is a massive chunk of steel, and its weight significantly alters the balance of the rifle...in the case of my 20-inch heavy-barrel version, for the better, IMHO. The balance point is now just forward of the magazine, alleviating the rifle's original muzzle-heavy feel and allowing for relatively easy carry with one hand at this point. This gun is way too heavy for typical hunting use, but it will serve better than many other similar rifles with poor balance that affects carry ease.

The metal MDT mags click into place and release easily. The kit comes with two magazine release levers of varying lengths; I initially chose the shorter one, which sits flush with the bottom of the magwell, as I thought it would be more secure for hunting use. However, it is awkward to use with gloves on and I will likely try the longer lever as well, although it sticks down below the guard a bit more than I would like. I may try shortening the longer lever to achieve a happy medium. If you are one of the breed of shooter who feels that speed is everything, the longer one is the only realistic choice; I doubt that any amount of practice will turn the short lever into a rapid-operating option.

Another mild complaint regards the noisiness of the magazines when inserted into the gun. They are able to shift just enough when the carry hand contacts them to produce a distinct clicking sound...irritating at the workbench, but possibly disastrous in the field. Ironic that the classic old SSG has a safety that can be manipulated in almost complete silence...and is now plagued with this racket. The kit comes with four tiny set screws which make...and I quote..."it's optional possible to reduce the tolerance of the magazine". I assume that they can be used to take up some of the slack in the magazine well and hold the magazine stationary and quiet, but I want to try a few other magazine types before I commit to that. I've used lots of MDT mags in the past, but all were plastic; the metal ones are much nicer, and seem to be the equal of the AI mags I have had in the past. If they feed and function as well as I expect they will, I will certainly attempt to custom-fit the magwell with the setscrews to reduce the noise.

If it sounds like I am being harshly critical...well, this is a magazine well that costs more than many complete rifles I have owned, so my expectations are high. To be fair, I am quite satisfied with the unit despite a few minor glitches noted here. With some trigger time to properly test it, and some more tinkering to get it set up just right, it will be a fitting addition to a grand old rifle which is already a huge favourite of mine. Nordic's service was prompt and friendly. Unless shooting tests reveal some unforeseen problems, which seems unlikely, I can't see ever going back to the tragically problematic original piece and its quaintly fragile plastic rotary magazines.
    Last edited by jjohnwm; 09-15-2020 at 03:51 AM.

jjohnwm,

Thanks for taking the time to write that. Good observations and exactly the same as mine.
    A couple of notes...

Trigger springs, I installed the lightest as I prefer a light target style trigger. Below are the weights:
    Original, Heavy and Light

Name:  Original.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  90.0 KB
    Name:  Heavy.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  89.6 KB
    Name:  Light.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  87.9 KB

Bedding bolts... torque to 4Nm

Metal magazine rattle. The set screws supplied to take up the slop and work well. Once I installed them and set them, they eliminated
    95% of the magazine rattle. I did not try any polymer mags, but may remove the set screws and try some Magpul AICS Mags.

My balance point is directly in front of the Magazine as well.

My rifle is theSSG69 PIV (16" Police) , the metal bottom kit totally changes the rifle. I absolutely love now and I dont have to be as cautious with the factory mags.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast