Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 791011121314151617181920212223242527 ... LastLast

Thread: Any word on development of a short GSG-16 barrel?

In the line, congoing all the way to to a sweet new rig. I put the GSG under my pillow every night. Waiting for the Gun Fairy.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rommelrommel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlask Arms View Post
    You cannot cut a factory made barrel PERIOD. There is a reason we make 870, AR-15 and 10/22 barrels from scratch. It's not because we want to, it's because to cut down an existing one would be instant jail time for us, and we have a Business Firearms License as a MANUFACTURER. If we can't do it no one can !

There is just so much misinformation on this forum it simply astounds me. Guys, please, do yourselves all a huge favour and print off copies of both the Criminal Code of Canada firearm sections and the Canadian Firearms Act. Keep them in the bathroom and everyday read a page or two.

Very, very informative and might possibly keep you out of the klink.
    What law is broken if I cut a bare rifle barrel down to 3” long? None.

As to a cut barrel that’s part of a firearm:

prohibited firearm means

(a) a handgun that

(i) has a barrel equal to or less than 105 mm in length, or

(ii) is designed or adapted to discharge a 25 or 32 calibre cartridge,

but does not include any such handgun that is prescribed, where the handgun is for use in international sporting competitions governed by the rules of the International Shooting Union,

(b) a firearm that is adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted,

(i) is less than 660 mm in length, or

(ii) is 660 mm or greater in length and has a barrel less than 457 mm in length,

(c) an automatic firearm, whether or not it has been altered to discharge only one projectile with one pressure of the trigger, or

(d) any firearm that is prescribed to be a prohibited firearm; (arme à feu prohibée)
    457mm = 17.99~ inches. Thus, You’ve only produced a prohibited firearm if you have adapted a firearm to be less than 25.98” OAL or to have had a barrel of less than 17.99 inches while still being over 25.98” OAL.

If there’s a section in there that we’re all missing about cutting a 26” barrel down to 20” and installing it on a rifle that is an offence please point it out.

Quote Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
    What law is broken if I cut a bare rifle barrel down to 3” long? None.

As to a cut barrel that’s part of a firearm:

457mm = 17.99~ inches. Thus, You’ve only produced a prohibited firearm if you have adapted a firearm to be less than 25.98” OAL or to have had a barrel of less than 17.99 inches while still being over 25.98” OAL.

If there’s a section in there that we’re all missing about cutting a 26” barrel down to 20” and installing it on a rifle that is an offence please point it out.
    Call your local CFO and ask them. I did, and they said it is illegal to cut any factory made barrel. The team leader of the B.C. CFO took the time to read me the passage and simply said "No, you cannot cut a factory made barrel". I also have it in an email somewhere, I will try to look it up when I get a free moment.
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

OK....so, we have the first three 9" barrels made up, chambered, blasted and ready to send for blueing. They should be back by mid next week and ready to install then. The nice guy that lent us his rifle for R&D has first dibs on barrel #1. The other two are up for grabs. First come first served.

NOTE : These require PROFESSIONAL GUNSMITH installation. Once they leave our shop we will not be responsible for any part of the installation or issues that may arise from the change. Your gunsmith will need to install, cut the extractor notch to match your trunnion and tune the rifle if required.

DISCLAIMER : If you install or have this barrel installed and do not pin your folding / collapsible stock and your rifle is shorter than 660mm in it's shortest configuration then you will be in contradiction of the law and may be subject to all of the bad things that come with that. Under no circumstances will we be responsible for YOU breaking the law.

9" barrel with a 1/2-28 tpi threaded muzzle :

Name:  20191121_111602.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  85.5 KB
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rommelrommel's Avatar
    Call your local CFO and ask them. I did, and they said it is illegal to cut any factory made barrel. The team leader of the B.C. CFO took the time to read me the passage and simply said "No, you cannot cut a factory made barrel". I also have it in an email somewhere, I will try to look it up when I get a free moment.
    You told us to read the criminal code and the firearms act so I did take the time to review both again and found no offence to describe the behaviour you said was illegal. So, now I also did that and posited cutting a 32” pump shotgun barrel down to 20” and was told that was fine. I was told I can’t go below 18” and was suggested that I should stay a bit above in case my measuring wasn’t too precise. Also reminded to respect the OAL of 26”.

Sexy. I mean me not the gun..well the gun too and Leigh
    Save Hong Kong!

CFO's are not always right. The person you want to call is a firearm lawyer.

Sure you can. Just cannot cut it past 18" for a pump/bolt/manual action, or 18.5" for a semi. Epps cut down my 1100, and made sure it stayed over 18.5" actually went 18.7 just incase some person measuring tape is wrong. If it was truly illegal, they wouldn't have done it.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

Call the cfo out if you think they are wrong. I just want my short barrel, Joe and Leigh would like to stay out of jail. If you think their comments is inappropriate or incorrect. Pm me with your email and i will send off the butthurt form
    Save Hong Kong!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
    You told us to read the criminal code and the firearms act so I did take the time to review both again and found no offence to describe the behaviour you said was illegal. So, now I also did that and posited cutting a 32” pump shotgun barrel down to 20” and was told that was fine. I was told I can’t go below 18” and was suggested that I should stay a bit above in case my measuring wasn’t too precise. Also reminded to respect the OAL of 26”.
    Yeah that's right. I've cut down a couple barrels and did the homework first. You can cut your own barrel, but if you cross the 18" line you're breaking the law. 30" to 20", or anything like that, and you're fine.

Also... and this is one of my favorite examples of canadian firearms law... You can get a short barrel on a manual action rifle or rimfire as long as it came that way. Order a 14" barrel for your shotgun and that's fine. But if you cut your own barrel to 14", that's illegal. It's about how it arrives at that length, not about what the final barrel length is. Because Canada.

EDIT: I'm less positive but pretty sure you can't cut a barrel shorter than 18" either which is what Dlask was likely referring to. If you cut a 16" barrel down to 9" then you have a 9" barrel that arrived at that length by cutting.... which is illegal. If you buy a Dlask barrel that came out of the "factory" at 9" then it's okay. Because Canada.

Also... yeah as somebody mentioned I believe the wording of the law is about a firearm with a barrel mounted on it. So you could technically take a spare barrel and cut it to 6". But what's the point if you then can't mount it on a firearm? 6" paperweight?
    Last edited by TheNatural21; 11-21-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Two barrels spoken for ,one left. First person to call gets it. Cost is $199.99 + tax.
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com