Page 22 of 56 FirstFirst ... 21214151617181920212223242526272829303242 ... LastLast

Thread: So where are we now?

Quote Originally Posted by rangebob View Post
    There is no actual limit on its usage -- it's up to the whim of the Minister. It would be better to say that it would not be used, and has not been used to seize, except where a product has been believed to be unsafe with some evidence. There's a nice list at the end of the Act in Schedule 2 of things they have thought were unsafe. I think the most recent usage was with some sort of anti-acne cream. When it was passed by the Conservatives in 2010, there were lots of articles in the Toronto Star (and a couple CGN threads) about how draconian the possibilities were.
    I don't think this is helpful. I doubt this law can be perverted to the ends you suggest. Reading the legislation makes that fairly clear. "Advertise" "Sell" "Manufacture". The Toronto Star was likely writing a hit piece on the conservatives and using some ridiculous fear mongering.
    Last edited by lintocs; 11-04-2019 at 11:59 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rangebob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lintocs View Post
    I don't think this is helpful. I doubt the law can be perverted to the ends you suggest. Reading the legislation makes that fairly clear.
    It's moot in the context of this thread. The Liberals are not going to use the "Canada Consumer Product Safety Act" on firearms.
    The Liberals will pass a new Act.

Also, any money spent, requires the consent of Parliament somewhere. So a new Act.
    (Again the "Canada Consumer Product Safety Act" doesn't cover buyback.)

My point was merely that there are several ways for our government to confiscate things. It's not a new thing.
    Last edited by rangebob; 11-04-2019 at 11:03 PM.

Buy back. Not reclassification.

A Liberal government also would create a buyback program for all semi-automatic assault rifles that were legally purchased, offering owners a fair market price for their weapons and giving law enforcement agencies resources to administer the program. A two-year amnesty would be put in place while the program is being set up.
    -- https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/lib...2019-1.5290950

“There are some weapons, quite frankly, in my opinion, that are so dangerous that there really is no place in a safe and civil society for them”
    -- Bill Blair, https://globalnews.ca/news/5402803/b...lt-weapon-ban/
    Blair repeated similar phrasing in his CCFR interview.

Liberal Election Platform explanation (details)
    https://www.rangebob.com/election201...ontrol2019.jpg
    They used the term "assault weapon". That pretty much means AR-15, since the AK47 has been illegal for ages. Extending that to any semi-automatic is a stretch and would certainly affect Canadian hunters, which the government has pledged not to do.

The AR15 sits in a bad spot in part because of the .223 (5.56mm) round, which puts it below the minimum for deer hunting in a couple of provinces. The military look and feel doesn't help either, since we're dealing with the government.

Bill C-10A. 2003
    https://www.parl.ca/Content/Bills/37..._4/c-10a_4.pdf
    "providing that there is no forfeiture of goods that are the subject of a prohibition order made under section 515 of the Criminal Code, and"
    "expanding the grandfathered class for certain prohibited firearms,"
    "Under s. 515(4.1), the court shall order a firearm prohibition on persons released for certain charges including: offences where violence is used, threatened, or attemtped. criminal harassment."

So no, that would be a seizure related to criminal offense.

It's moot in the context of this thread. The Liberals are not going to use the "Canada Consumer Product Safety Act" on firearms.
    The Liberals will pass a new Act.

Also, any money spent, requires the consent of Parliament somewhere. So a new Act.
    (Again the "Canada Consumer Product Safety Act" doesn't cover buyback.)

My point was merely that there are several ways for our government to confiscate things. It's not a new thing.
    Some laws supercede others. You can't just whip out a new act that removes rights granted previously or from higher law, like the Charter or Bill of Rights.

It's the same reason they can't lower the speed limit today and write you a speeding ticket for last week. The law doesn't work that way, so most existing cases are grandfathered to avoid legal challenges.

Yes, they did this in New Zealand. No, I'm not sure how. Without a doubt, though, court challenges will be necessary to avoid the same outcome.

Bill C-10A. 2003
    https://www.parl.ca/Content/Bills/37..._4/c-10a_4.pdf
    "providing that there is no forfeiture of goods that are the subject of a prohibition order made under section 515 of the Criminal Code, and"
    "expanding the grandfathered class for certain prohibited firearms,"
    Bill C-10A
    The effect of this amendment is to extend grandfathering status to include prohibited handguns that were registered to an individual for the first time in Canada between February 14, 1995 and December 1, 1998 (for example, new imports and handguns bought from a dealer), and to handguns that business still had in their inventory on December 1, 1998, the effective date that the handguns became prohibited.
    If you already have 12(6) privileges on your firearms licence, the amendment enables you to keep prohibited handguns acquired during that time period provided you re-register them under the Firearms Act. It also enables you to sell or give these handguns to a properly licensed individual or business.
    The amendment received Royal Assent too late (May 2003) to enable grandfathering privileges to be extended to you if your only prohibited firearms were acquired between February 14, 1995 and December 1, 1998.
    -- http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/c10a-eng.htm

CGN Regular
    I came to work today.... There are over 40,000 employees in my company.
    And, this is the „training” that everybody had to go through - showing the guy who does not even look like a gang criminal BUT, guess what....he holds an AR-15 in his hands !!
    Here it is:
    https://youtu.be/gWQ8OJcBwFg

Not bad brain washing isn’t it ?

Quote Originally Posted by lintocs View Post
    The AR15 sits in a bad spot in part because of the .223 (5.56mm) round, which puts it below the minimum for deer hunting in a couple of provinces. The military look and feel doesn't help either, since we're dealing with the government.
    Yep.

The US Military is likely abandoning the .223/5.56 cartridge and the M4/M16 platforms, because it's not lethal enough, and moving to 6.8mm.

Quote Originally Posted by cras111 View Post
    The original, from the USA, was Run Hide Fight.
    England, turned that into Hide Tell Run.
    Canada's is in between at Run Hide Defend.

Although everyone Run in every direction (preferably in covered routes where the bad guy is not based on where you hear the shots are) is a pretty good option in schools, they usually take the lockdown & stay put approach.

Quote Originally Posted by cras111 View Post
    I came to work today.... There are over 40,000 employees in my company.
    And, this is the „training” that everybody had to go through - showing the guy who does not even look like a gang criminal BUT, guess what....he holds an AR-15 in his hands !!
    Here it is:
    https://youtu.be/gWQ8OJcBwFg

Not bad brain washing isn’t it ?
    I also work for a large multinational. I was drafted on to the safety team for my floor and complained in a meeting about problems with the evacuation plan that put people in harm's way in the event of an active shooter situation.

Fend for yourself, nobody writing these plans has a clue.