Page 53 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3343454647484950515253545556 LastLast

Thread: So where are we now?

Quote Originally Posted by scout_289 View Post
    Tell me, if some organization pushing for a guaranteed annual income (or other freebie) plastered downtown TO with graphs of numbers of people below the poverty line, how much the guaranteed income would raise unfortunates into a better future, graphs representative of great successes with GAC in Sweden, how much your taxes would change to make this great leap .............

Would you stand on a busy street corner for the time that it would take to absorb the information, much of it in terminology unfamiliar to you?
    Would it change your mind about GAC?
    Would you have time to digest the information while you drive by on the 401?
    Why do you think that even a neutral member of the public would care enough to return the favour to us by getting informed?
    Personally, subject matter aside, I want to know when...

The government is lying
    The government is spending money it doesn’t have on pointless policy
    The government has a hidden agenda

I believe nothing in this world is free, except death.

So yes, I (ME) would certainly take notice and remember a catchy web page name to look at when I got home.

Quote Originally Posted by celichi View Post
    Personally, subject matter aside, I want to know when...

The government is lying
    The government is spending money it doesn’t have on pointless policy
    The government has a hidden agenda

I believe nothing in this world is free, except death.

So yes, I (ME) would certainly take notice and remember a catchy web page name to look at when I got home.
    Canadian Tax Payer Federation, is a good example of how this can work.

Remember Duffy?

This all just brain storming for me, so no offense taken or implied

If you're going to spend money on billboard and advertising my vote would to be to market the positives of the firearms industry, the employment, our people, our volunteerism, our activities etc.

Deflection to other concerns and / or trying to diminish the importance of public safety to individuals who don't own guns and who are conditioned to view them in a negative fashion results in them sweeping these tactics aside using the "if it saves one life" meme then mentally switching off.

We have to penetrate that curtain with a message that we are ordinary, contributing citizens who just want to go about our business, then we can deliver the stats to a more attentive audience to prove the point.
    So you think billboards ignoring public health concerns but displaying a bunch of gun-wielding models with big smiles brought to you by the big gun industry wouldn’t seem like “thoughts and prayers baby! I got ma gunz!” and that’ll play well in urban centres?
    CSSA and now - on Trudeau's recommendation - CCFR

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rangebob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_B View Post
    So you think billboards ignoring public health concerns but displaying a bunch of gun-wielding models with big smiles brought to you by the big gun industry wouldn’t seem like “thoughts and prayers baby! I got ma gunz!” and that’ll play well in urban centres?
    The ads would have to leverage something the general subway riding public already believes in. Hardly anyone has seen a gun outside of movies since C68 made pickup-truck racks illegal and CFSC said hide your guns don't let anyone ever see them.

e.g.
    - politician lies
    - trust statcan
    - verifiable true Canadian history
    - something else.
    - "Only have two cheeks to turn and don't even consider touching the other end. "
    - "In the CCFR interview with Bill Blair, what he said was alarming. The it’s a privilege should concern everyone. Large houses, fast cars and anything you own is therefore a privilege and not a right. This should scare the heck out of everyone. The picture Blair was really painting was that of a police state. " (epoxy7)

A focus group (NOT CGNers), such as Angus Reid / Maru email surveys, to test several ads before they go on streetcars/subways/buses, would be required. The audience is mostly 416, some 905 area-code.

A website that would work on the bus/subway via iPhone. "Do you want to know more?" right now.
    The website should also try to gather the contact information of Toronto PALers, and give that to the Orgs for weekly "What's happening" mass emails.

We're talking more money than this community has ever done before. Unless you can find people to do the main work for free.
    Assume there are, at max, about 80,000 people who might be interested. And a tiny percentage of that would be interested in donating.
    80,000 people is the approximate reach of gun websites like CGN, plus Calibre magazine, plus the Orgs. A little more if you get OFAH.
    Any chance Soros would donate?
    Last edited by rangebob; 11-15-2019 at 04:13 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer scout_289's Avatar
    I understand, I think 90% could be the content that you are suggesting, and I agree with it.

Look at ducks unlimited, that is a very conscientious group.

Leave the 10% as the fine print with some real hard data, that they are barking up the wrong tree.
    I've been a member of DU for over 30 years. Good cause like you say and I get to hob nob with people who do not own guns or hunt and I can "reach" them because a common cause brings us to the same place. Some are quite influential in their day jobs.

My billboard would have a picture of a doctor with a caption about his or her success as a physician and a footnote of their medals or other achievements in the sporting use of firearms.

Picture of a kinda tired looking emergency room doctor or EMS and the caption "This week XXXX saved 15 lives; this weekend he's looking forward to day at the range with his daughter".
    Last edited by scout_289; 11-15-2019 at 06:12 PM.
    Let's follow the USA example: https://project2025.afsp.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Toolkit_Safe_Firearm_Storage_CLEARED_508_2-24-20.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_B View Post
    Noting that you've made a hyperbolic misinterpretation of what I wrote may I respectfully suggest that you read some of my past scribbles where you may conclude that my thoughts go in a different direction.

Maybe start here:https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...ism-is-welcome my thread on seven point strategy
    Let's follow the USA example: https://project2025.afsp.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Toolkit_Safe_Firearm_Storage_CLEARED_508_2-24-20.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by rangebob View Post
    The ads would have to leverage something the general subway riding public already believes in. Hardly anyone has seen a gun outside of movies since C68 made pickup-truck racks illegal and CFSC said hide your guns don't let anyone ever see them.

e.g.
    - politician lies
    - trust statcan
    - something else.
    - "Only have two cheeks to turn and don't even consider touching the other end. "
    - "In the CCFR interview with Bill Blair, what he said was alarming. The it’s a privilege should concern everyone. Large houses, fast cars and anything you own is therefore a privilege and not a right. This should scare the heck out of everyone. The picture Blair was really painting was that of a police state. " (epoxy7)

A focus group (NOT CGNers), such as Angus Reid / Maru email surveys, to test several ads before they go on streetcars/subways/buses, would be required. The audience is mostly 416, some 905 area-code.

A website that would work on the bus/subway via iPhone. "Do you want to know more?" right now.
    The website should also try to gather the contact information of Toronto PALers, and give that to the Orgs for weekly "What's happening" mass emails.

We're talking more money than this community has ever done before. Unless you can find people to do the main work for free.
    Assume there are, at max, about 80,000 people who might be interested. And a tiny percentage of that would be interested in donating.
    80,000 people is the approximate reach of gun websites like CGN, plus Calibre magazine, plus the Orgs. A little more if you get OFAH.
    The seeds of some great initiatives here RB. Emphasis on an attention grabbing personal touch that the readers can relate to yet carries a message that we want to transmit it.

Yes, it is a challenge on our budget but then I'm impressed with the paint job on the CCFR truck.

None of what we write in the immediate future may see the light of day but the more people who get the idea that we have to change in order to become effective before we lose it all and react by throwing suggestions out there .......... eventually it will gel into what we need to do.

I believe that there is a lot of mileage in the equality of privileges and property rights angle as a PR vehicle for some really smart advertising types to exploit.

As far as donations, success breeds success. Some gunnies are inclined to throw money indescriminantly at the orgs hoping that they can work magic. Those numbers would be bound to increase if a renewed image / more penetrating campaign started to yield progress.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rangebob View Post

e.g.
    - politician lies
    - trust statcan
    - something else.

Geez RB, read it twice and missed this but caught it on the third read - friggin brilliant!! "A website that would work on the bus/subway via iPhone. "Do you want to know more?" right now."

If you're going to spend money on billboard and advertising my vote would to be to market the positives of the firearms industry, the employment, our people, our volunteerism, our activities etc.
    It just won't sell, sorry. Guns are bad. Everyone knows this.

Engage people in the THINKING ARGUMENT instead of the FEELING ARGUMENT. "I feel this is wrong" is an excuse to be irrational. Guns may be bad, but gun control isn't free, and they'll have to give something up to get it.

100 million dollars can buyback 75000 guns that have never hurt anyone OR it can buy 50 top of the line MRI machines so your daughter doesn't have to wait until it's too late to find out she's got a brain tumor.

Quote Originally Posted by lintocs View Post
    It just won't sell, sorry. Guns are bad. Everyone knows this.

Engage people in the THINKING ARGUMENT instead of the FEELING ARGUMENT. "I feel this is wrong" is an excuse to be irrational. Guns may be bad, but gun control isn't free, and they'll have to give something up to get it.

100 million dollars can buyback 75000 guns that have never hurt anyone OR it can buy 50 top of the line MRI machines so your daughter doesn't have to wait until it's too late to find out she's got a brain tumor.
    I won't dispute the fact that there's a thinking argument that has to be won but I am of the opinion that we have to engage them on the feeling argument first to get on their frequency. Not the antis and not the anti politicians, I mean Joe Public.

Back in the early days of the LGR I tried my best to sway opinion that the money could be better spent providing 14 police helicopters (or medical helicopters) for the 14 largest cities across Canada and naming them after the Poly victims as a memorial. There was more than enough $$$ to do that even before the cost ballooned and the unfortunates would have had a permanent and beneficial memorial. My guest editorial was even published in major newspaper.

No response. My conclusion from that experience was that the public will not engage on a thinking level while an emotional argument is swirling around them

Please note also that a key premise of my approach is to put the guns in the background and put us, as gun owners and ordinary people, into the foreground. This will get around the guns are bad meme which I totally agree can never be beaten back on a feeling level.

Five or more years ago when I embarked on this journey of change I was talking to CMHA across Canada to test their support of an alliance. I asked the lady to candidly tell me what she thought about linking with gun owners - she was in Ottawa. What she said stuck with me: "If gun owners are willing to help us with the huge problem of tackling mental illness people are just going to get past the fact that they happen to own politically incorrect objects". Huge but subtle different in that view point and I saw a huge opening there.

Maybe you and I could agree that there's no one magic campaign and it may have to be rolled out in phases and maybe even fine tuned for different regions???
    Last edited by scout_289; 11-15-2019 at 07:44 PM.