Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cadex 408 Cheytac

I am trying to get everything together, bullet and brass, and want to build the rifle base on what available for bullet, Think 1:9 twist is pretty safe for everything from 350 to 400grain While 1:7twist is for everything over 400grain, from what I have read on different forum.
    Last edited by GunBoy; 11-15-2019 at 09:45 PM.
    I am not even sure How much beer I drank Toyad.

Dame that a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    Cartridge pros and cons aside, the main problem is that the market hasn't bought on to it en mass like they did with 6.5 Creedmore or 17 HMR.

Something can be the greatest cartridge in the world, it will die on the vine unless the market wants it, shy of things like 10mm that remain on life support.

Making things worse for the 408 is that practically no major users have bought onto it. Armies have 338 Lapua as medium rifles and 50s as large rifles (7.62/308 as small), and there's no need for a 4th option.

I recommend not getting one, because the market has spoken and the masses haven't bought into it.

Your recommendation is to not get one. Do you have a recommendation for something with similar or better performance that has been adopted by the masses? I think these high performance calibers will always be a small market.

Cartridge pros and cons aside, the main problem is that the market hasn't bought on to it en mass like they did with 6.5 Creedmore or 17 HMR.

Something can be the greatest cartridge in the world, it will die on the vine unless the market wants it, shy of things like 10mm that remain on life support.

Making things worse for the 408 is that practically no major users have bought onto it. Armies have 338 Lapua as medium rifles and 50s as large rifles (7.62/308 as small), and there's no need for a 4th option.

I recommend not getting one, because the market has spoken and the masses haven't bought into it.

Thats not really an apples to apples comparison with the 6.5/6mm Creedmoor. The 408/375 is built for +1mile and to have plenty of energy at those distances. As such the components will always be scarce as there is not many areas and extremely few ranges in Canada where you can run the distance for the 408/375. These are most definitely Niche markets, just like .416 and 50bmg are. Capitalism has prevailed in that there are choices for any of the calibers listed in this paragraph, just some are scarcer than others, but not impossible. HSM runs a line of commercial 375ct and 408ct loads that you can obtain in Canada (with a bit of wait time as my supplier has to bring it in from the US) so Capitalism for the win again.

The market has spoken in that it is available, but not in great quantity. If one simply wants to plink at range then 50bmg is probably your best bet as you can buy 660gr footballs occasionally at around $5 per rd and not have to worry about reloads.
    Yep, it's like that.....

I'm not comparing 6.5 to 408, I'm saying 6.5 started as a new cartridge and got traction because a significant amount of people started buying it.

XYZ, the only cartridges that have really taken hold in the sniper community are 50 and 338 Lapua. 408 tried to straddle the difference, which was a good theory, but it's just not taking hold.

I recommend a 338 Lapua. Obviously not as big, but it will kill practically anything in the world, and Brits temporarily held the sniping world record with one.
    I don’t have a signature block.

What you got for barrel and twist rate that it like the 420 grain cutting edge bullet??
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude in G.P. View Post
    Absolutely agree. Love my Cadex 408, but brass and bullets are just in better supply for the 375CT. Considering that a 375ct just nailed 4400yds, it is no slouch either.

Add: I originally went with 408ct because it was not 50bmg (upsizing of reloading components, components subject to scarcity) and it realistically had a very high BC bullet in the 420gr cutting edge. But in the meantime, 375ct really has developed into it's own. Bullet technology has really advanced this caliber. I didn't want .416 as it was simply a derivative of the 50bmg case.

Quote Originally Posted by GunBoy View Post
    What you got for barrel and twist rate that it like the 420 grain cutting edge bullet??
    Its a 1/13 twist. Barrel is as supplied by Cadex - Bartlein
    Yep, it's like that.....

I'm not comparing 6.5 to 408, I'm saying 6.5 started as a new cartridge and got traction because a significant amount of people started buying it.

XYZ, the only cartridges that have really taken hold in the sniper community are 50 and 338 Lapua. 408 tried to straddle the difference, which was a good theory, but it's just not taking hold.

I recommend a 338 Lapua. Obviously not as big, but it will kill practically anything in the world, and Brits temporarily held the sniping world record with one.
    Look, you stated that the main problem is that the market hasn't brought it en masse like the 6.5/6mm creedmore. Well of course not. There is no comparison between a cartridge made for the mass market as opposed to a cartridge that is a niche market. If a person is going to 375/408ct, .416, they already know it is a niche market and supplies are limited. A better comparison would be .338 lapua and 50bmg as those are more mainstream calibers with a wider following. That was the point i was trying to make.

338 is a good caliber too, what are you running for a 338 lapua rifle?
    Yep, it's like that.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12