Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting a bow in cold weather

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhog View Post
    We bought a Ravin R26 compact crossbow. It is very easy to cock, is lightweight and is extremely accurate. A little pricey, but what isn't nowadays.

With our current disability, we are both happy to be able to start crossbow hunting here in the Kootneys of BC for Whitetail Deer. At 400-425 feet per second there may be less chance of deer jumping the string, but who knows for sure. Whitetails can be cagey and very fast as well
    Those Ravin’s are nice bows. A buddy got one a couple of years ago. Hella-fast. We have to double up the heavy duty crossbow target blocks if he wants to practice with his hunting broadheads. In reality, for the number that punch through both and into the backing behind, we should have a 3rd.
    I keep telling him he needs to make sure he has an additional tag if he sees two deer, one behind the other. He is going to shoot through both of them.

Business Member triggersandbows's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CzyHorse View Post
    When the snow comes down the Lynx comes out.

Excalibur Mattrix 380 Lynx c/w Zeiss XB75.

I've had no issues with my recurve bows in cold snowy weather, the Lynx has a 280lb draw weight. I just give the deck a wipe if the snows starts to build up. I think hunters and recurve bows have more problems with heat.
    So don't over heat and work up a sweat on way to stand. It's less 'work' walking on top of a foot of snow, than trudging thru it. Use real Snowshoes not the noisy POS metal things they commonly sell now. I have 2 wooden sets, 1 - 3ft synthetic gut set for wet & 1 - 5ft real gut set for dry snow.

I dress as warm as I can. Lots of layers, starting with a quality base layer to breath & wick moisture. I use hand warmers inside my gloves. When it gets really cold, I'll put a handwarmer in my shirt pocket over heart and add one to each boot. I 'fire' the handwarmers up and put in knapsack pocket before I leave truck, I put them in place after I cool down but before I get cold at the stand/blind/hide. Quiet camo at this time of the year is a must, if yr cheap like me, a hooded white terry cloth bath robe works awesome. You look like an idiot but it is very, very quiet. Your stand/blind/hide should be out of the wind, exposed skin will develop frost bite quickly.
    Great tips!! I love the idea of the terry cloth robe, and who says bathrobes cant be stylish!
    Triggers and Bows
    340 Bishopsgate Rd.
    RR#2
    Burford, Ontario
    N0E 1A0

519-449-1001
    www.triggersandbows.com

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    A crossbow isn't really bow hunting in a true sense, is it?
    I don't want to change the subject of what the OP started, but I have to disagree with your comment. Some people have no other option than to hunt with a crossbow (age, health and physical capabilities). This is kinda like a guy that shoots only clays saying that there is no reason to have AR's. We are all in this together so we should all support each other in the sport. They'll come a time in a bowhunters life where a crossbow will mean the difference of either staying home or getting out in the woods. Just sayin.
    Last edited by rifleman338; 11-28-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman338 View Post
    I don't want to change the subject of what the OP started, but I have to disagree with your comment. Some people have no other option than to hunt with a crossbow (age, health and physical capabilities). This is kinda like a guy that shoots only clays saying that there is no reason to have AR's. We are all in this together so we should all support each other in the sport. They'll come a time in a bowhunters life where a crossbow will mean the difference of either staying home or getting out in the woods. Just sayin.
    The most logical thing Ive seen posted in many years. I couldnt agree more and hope others will learn thru ur wisdom. Rifleman338, ur the kindah CGNer we need more of. Most just dont get it,but you certainly do. KUDOS FRIEND

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12