Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need some opinions from you CZ 527 owners!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer AB.boy's Avatar
    I have one of each. A carbine in 7.62x39 and a Varmint in .223 both are great rifles.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot surplus ammo in either of them, they are designed for it. Just clean them if the ammo has corrosive primers. Enjoy shooting each using cheap ammo for targets and plinking, then clean and use quality ammo for hunting purposes.

Deep in the Darkest Bush there is ! and Kamloops
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden S View Post
    I am looking at buying myself a new bolt action with a medium sized caliber. I pretty much decided on the CZ 527, but I'm not sure what caliber to go for. I want to keep it at a fairly decent price to shoot so I have pretty much narrowed it down to .223 or 7.62x39. I initially wanted to do 7.62 because you can get a crap ton of it for mega cheap, and I heard it shoots surplus surprisingly accurately. I talked to an experienced friend about it and he said to stay away from 7.62x39 because its not worth the chance of ruining a $1000 gun with corrosive ammo, plus, it may become less accessible if semi's get banned (no more sks). So instead, he suggested .223, smaller, non corrosive, but a bit more expensive. I am 100% down to put the time into cleaning well after every use, but is it still a bad idea? Have any of you guys had problems with 7.62x39 on your 527's? .223 or 7.62x39?

Thanks
    You Must RELIZE that the 223 Rem is NOT a Medium caliber ! Any how WHY not a 6.5 Grendel ? RJ
    INDIGENOUS JIM - Born and Raised in British Columbia and A Canadian !

The 284 WIN - is the Original Short Magnum !

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    [QUOTE=L42A1;17592309]Why would accuracy suffer? Do cheaper guns shoot surplus ammo better?[/QUOTE

You got the logic wrong.

I had a CZ 527 in 7.62 x39 and besides being a gorgeous and very accurate rifle it did have the occasional FTF. I narrowed it down to the stock interfering with the trigger group. I was surprised as CZ generally makes quality firearms, may be I just had the one bad apple.
    If you're scoping it be prepared to purchase CZ only rings.
    Last edited by davesja; 12-03-2020 at 11:44 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12