Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No single shooters?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kevin M.'s Avatar
    Huh. Never would have thought that was a rule out here. How many incidents or near misses occurred on rental ranges that stemmed from mental illness in Canada to have this policy started? Or was this a reaction to insurance risks, or public pressure?

Quite curious about this, as it seems it could discourage many from trying the sport if they had no friends to introduce them or come try with them.
    You know you are a real gunnut when you start practicing trigger control on power tools.

WWJMBD? What Would John Moses Browning Do?

Wild West Shooting Centre has had a few suicides over the years, to my knowledge. I don’t think it’s a conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin M. View Post
    Huh. Never would have thought that was a rule out here. How many incidents or near misses occurred on rental ranges that stemmed from mental illness in Canada to have this policy started? Or was this a reaction to insurance risks, or public pressure?

Quite curious about this, as it seems it could discourage many from trying the sport if they had no friends to introduce them or come try with them.
    The rental ranges were operating just fine for a number of years, then TSE and Wild West (and perhaps others, those are just the two that first come to my mind) had 2 suicides/attempts, each in quick succession. Just like the school shootings, it seemed once the news hit about the first, range suicides were on a trajectory to increase on an exponential level, based on the number of years of trouble free operation, followed by very little time between subsequent events. The policy has very cleanly nipped this problem in the bud.

It demonstrates, in my mind, the power of the news to generate copycatters, except thankfully for these range suicides, unlike school shootings, there was a very effective and simple solution. It's a large part of why I cannot stand our left wing media going on and on about shootings when they happen, as I believe they then hold a lot of culpability for encouraging repetition.

But yes, in short, to answer your question, there was a problem, but our community has addressed it. TSE has suicide info/help brochures on site as well.

As a former employed range officer, my heart goes out to all of the range officers on shift during any of the suicides or attempts. It would be a horrible thing to witness or to have to intervene and thwart.

I think they mean no “solo” unlicensed shooters. Bring a friend, your coworker, your gf, wife (not at same time as the gf), kids etc.

Ie. People that know you, as studies suggest that people are less likely to commit suicide than if they are alone with strangers.
    Proud CCFR member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kevin M.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoTrekr View Post
    The rental ranges were operating just fine for a number of years, then TSE and Wild West (and perhaps others, those are just the two that first come to my mind) had 2 suicides/attempts, each in quick succession. Just like the school shootings, it seemed once the news hit about the first, range suicides were on a trajectory to increase on an exponential level, based on the number of years of trouble free operation, followed by very little time between subsequent events. The policy has very cleanly nipped this problem in the bud.

It demonstrates, in my mind, the power of the news to generate copycatters, except thankfully for these range suicides, unlike school shootings, there was a very effective and simple solution. It's a large part of why I cannot stand our left wing media going on and on about shootings when they happen, as I believe they then hold a lot of culpability for encouraging repetition.

But yes, in short, to answer your question, there was a problem, but our community has addressed it. TSE has suicide info/help brochures on site as well.

As a former employed range officer, my heart goes out to all of the range officers on shift during any of the suicides or attempts. It would be a horrible thing to witness or to have to intervene and thwart.
    Fair enough. I still think it is a heavy handed application, but I understand where they are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
    I think they mean no “solo” unlicensed shooters. Bring a friend, your coworker, your gf, wife (not at same time as the gf), kids etc.

Ie. People that know you, as studies suggest that people are less likely to commit suicide than if they are alone with strangers.
    Honestly, bringing your wife and girlfriend at the same time should have the range cover your costs hahaha.
    You know you are a real gunnut when you start practicing trigger control on power tools.

WWJMBD? What Would John Moses Browning Do?

Fair enough. I still think it is a heavy handed application, but I understand where they are coming from.
    This same policy is also common at ranges in the US. It's case by case but it isn't uncommon to see it. Same reason.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer savagefan's Avatar
    "Triggered"!
    Former Ford Fan

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by call2arms View Post
    On the weekend I was in Wild West and overheard that no single shooters are permitted. Is this true? Why?
    Unfortunately this is true, we can no longer allow single shooters access to the range. If you are accompanied by someone that isn't shooting, that is fine.

This policy has been implemented by most commercial ranges recently.

We regret to that we had to make this policy change as of last week due to the requirement of our insurance carrier, as they insure other ranges also in Alberta.

Sorry for the inconvenience that this may cause.

Wild West Shooting centre

How many incidents or near misses occurred on rental ranges that stemmed from mental illness in Canada to have this policy started?
    3/4 of all gun deaths in Canada are suicides, so it's not really that hard to believe, IMHO. Seems like a very reasonable policy.

I have been a member of various ranges that allow gun rentals and non-licensed shooters for over 25 years.

And have seen various stupidity, and suicide attempts over the years, actually witnessed a suicide at an indoor range. You don’t ever want to see that.

As a past RO you have to keep on your toes and keep an eye on everyone, but I have learned as a member having a day out shooting you still have to be on your guard also.

The economy isn’t great right now, and this time of the year doesn’t help either. Mental illness is everywhere, and you can always kind of spot the suspicious new shooters, can be nerves sometimes also. Things can happened in seconds.

If you notice, media doesn’t like to publicize suicides, especially at ranges, for fear of copycats or giving people ideas.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast