View Poll Results: Should we make a Mosin Raveneye?

Voters
216. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, because its cool

67 31.02%
  • Yes, and I may buy one if ..... (insert reason here)

30 13.89%
  • Yes, and I will definitely buy one

67 31.02%
  • Nyet!!! Rifle is fine

52 24.07%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mosin Nagant Raveneye sight: should we make them?

Business Member MagWedge Industries's Avatar
    Ok, it looks like this should be my next project.

I do have some other stuff in process so cannot make any solid predictions as to timing.

If anyone is interested in doing some product testing, let me know.

I am in particular looking for people with some knowledge and experience relating to the Mosin and who are located in the lower mainland of BC.

Quote Originally Posted by jmichelin84 View Post
    I'd love to see a scout Mount like the RSI mount made, I'd buy 2
    Totally feasible, but is there some issue with the RSI product? Not much point in covering the same ground unless there is some good reason.

Is there an issue with pricing or export for example?

I'd love to test them but I'm on the east coast....any chance you could make something similar to the mojo snap sights?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gothmog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nl Gun Nut View Post
    I'd love to test them but I'm on the east coast....any chance you could make something similar to the mojo snap sights?
    Wrong send sorry

Peep Sights always make it easier for new shooters and Mosins are a good first gun for anyone interested in historic rifles! I'd say make some!

Echoing ChumleeBumsnag .. the issue with Mosins is shooting 6-8" high and tending to the right. My fear would be that the peep couldn't be low enough at the rear and we'd need a 2 piece kit with a longer post at the front plus the peep.

I have some mosins I'd not want to permanently modify (yeah don't laugh, to ME they're my collectables even if they're only worth $400), and a couple shooters. a "clip on" addition for the rear would be appreciated, again though, exacerbating the shooting high. Just for your reference, o n the original sights on my shooters I've filed the notch down about 1/8 inch and that brought the pattern into line at 50 yards.

Oh yeah, I'd take at least 2 if under $100 for the kit.
    Funding the "Bank of Dad" for over 30 years.

Update

Ok, an update.

I have briefed the machinist on this project and asked him to make 2 prototypes, one with the aperture at the top of the sight and one near the bottom of where the notched sight begins.

We looked at the front sight and will evaluate if it's feasible to make a higher version or not. The sight hood may present issues and if we need to build the entire sight assembly and not just the sight blade, that may make the price point climb to unacceptable levels. So we will see ...

Fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by nl gun nut View Post
    fingers crossed
    x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar
    The rear sight leafs are pretty standard even with pre-war 91/30s. The M-44s and 38s are a lot shorter. You can see them in the rear of the picture.
    Name:  20191204_180010.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  91.7 KB
    As far as the foresight goes, I used to push the sight off the barrel and tap the sight post out of the base with a punch through the hole in the sight hood. The post is tapered and I'd file a bit of the shoulder back so it would go deeper into the base. This is a risky operation because sometimes the post wouldn't tap out and I ruined one by hammering too hard. Heating the base helped.
    Before
    Name:  20191204_181641.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  49.0 KB
    After
    Name:  20191204_181812.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  44.2 KB

I'm in Port Coquitlam and would love to do some testing. I belong to a couple of clubs and have a few Mosins and some decent PRVI brass cased ammo and tons of surplus.