Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magpul PMAG Gen3 and MS ??

Magpul PMAG Gen3 and MS ??

Hi Guys,

I read somewhere in one of the build threads that PMAG Gen3 aren't seating in the Modern Sporter, thus unusable. Is this a confirmed / known issue ?

I like PMAG's, but don't want 5/30's on a rest / bipod, and those are the only Gen2's I see anywhere. I have a bunch of 10/10 pistol mags for that, but would still like some 5/20 PMAG's for tacticool heroics. I've looked high and low, but all I've found is 5/20 in Gen3....did a 5/20 Gen2 even exist ?

If the Gen3's don't seat, has anyone tried modding the over insertion stop ? I've never tried filing, cutting polymer before and don't want to try if someone else has and it still won't work.

Thanks !!
    You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life - W.C.

Member NFA

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vermintrex View Post
    Hi Guys,

I read somewhere in one of the build threads that PMAG Gen3 aren't seating in the Modern Sporter, thus unusable. Is this a confirmed / known issue ?

I like PMAG's, but don't want 5/30's on a rest / bipod, and those are the only Gen2's I see anywhere. I have a bunch of 10/10 pistol mags for that, but would still like some 5/20 PMAG's for tacticool heroics. I've looked high and low, but all I've found is 5/20 in Gen3....did a 5/20 Gen2 even exist ?

If the Gen3's don't seat, has anyone tried modding the over insertion stop ? I've never tried filing, cutting polymer before and don't want to try if someone else has and it still won't work.

Thanks !!
    Hello, Some people have reported them being tight. In my testing here, I've found that some require a very solid smack the first few time seating. The polymer of the insertion stop was dented when inserted (but you bet your ass it locked up solid!), and after a few insertions didn't pose a problem anymore. THAT being said, we secretly and stealth-ninja-style adjusted to make a bit more clearance at the back bottom of the magwells. If someone doesn't want to bruise their palm slapping a pmag Gen3 in, then a simple file taking off a couple of passes of material on the insertion tab would do the trick. It's a very small amount of material to be taken off the insertion tab, I'd estimate 0.005"-0.010". This phenomenon occurs on maybe 15% of the receivers we've put out, as when we started up the second run of lowers we rebuilt all new fixtures.

Thanks for inquiring.
    Last edited by ATRS Shaun; 12-12-2019 at 05:08 PM.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by vermintrex View Post
    Hi Guys,

Thanks !!
    I have zero issues in the MS I just got a few days ago. All slide in and drop free as they should. No smacking required. These are for various PMAG 30 M3.

Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    Hello, Some people have reported them being tight. In my testing here, I've found that some require a very solid smack the first few time seating. The polymer of the insertion stop was dented when inserted (but you bet your ass it locked up solid!), and after a few insertions didn't pose a problem anymore. THAT being said, we secretly and stealth-ninja-style adjusted to make a bit more clearance at the back bottom of the magwells. If someone doesn't want to bruise their palm slapping a pmag Gen3 in, then a simple file taking off a couple of passes of material on the insertion tab would do the trick. It's a very small amount of material to be taken off the insertion tab, I'd estimate 0.005"-0.010". This phenomenon occurs on maybe 15% of the receivers we've put out, as when we started up the second run of lowers we rebuilt all new fixtures.

Thanks for inquiring.
    Well, in these dark days of bad news (I'm looking menacingly at you Ottawa)....that's great news !!

Thanks Shaun, appreciate taking the time to answer....now get back to work !!

(seriously, probably the best customer experience I've ever had, and that includes that time Mitsy and Bitsy were giving a Xmas discount )
    You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life - W.C.

Member NFA

Quote Originally Posted by KHTL View Post
    I have zero issues in the MS I just got a few days ago. All slide in and drop free as they should. No smacking required. These are for various PMAG 30 M3.
    Thanks for the reply, good to hear. Enjoy the rig !

Member NFA

My early MS they won't seat. My recent one they fit fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mileageman View Post
    Good to hear, cause my MS will be months away and I just ordered a whole bunch !

Member NFA

It could be the best chess I’ve build up caused by the rivet. Seems as if every 3 I’ve ordered .308 or .223 one always sits extra tight bc of the rivet...

Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post

Thanks for inquiring.
    Hi Shaun. What is the turn around time for people who send in their receiver sets to get the magwell sorted out for flawless mag insertion and drop free use?

Quote Originally Posted by mileageman View Post
    Interesting, my recent ones won't seat. Nor do my friend's in his rifle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast