Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exporting AR-15 uppers from Canada to the US

CGN Ultra frequent flyer squidxm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rajczak_kashka View Post
    I may be mistaken but the uppers as well as lowers are now prohibited under new “law”. You cannot export or import items that are prohibited devices. Yes it’s true that AR uppers and lowers cannot be imported back into US once they have been exported out. To make a long story short ...you’re hooped brother.
    From OIC:
    The Amnesty Order has been made to protect affected individuals who (1) were in legal possession of a newly prohibited firearm or prohibited device at the time the Regulations came into force, and, (2) continue to hold a valid licence during the amnesty period, from criminal liability for unlawful possession of a prohibited firearm in order to afford the individuals with time to dispose of the firearms. Disposal can include: having the firearm deactivated by an approved business; delivering the firearm or device to a police officer; legally exporting the firearm; and, if a business, returning the firearm or device to the manufacturer. Other permitted activities during the amnesty period are to transport the firearm for any of the above purposes and to use the newly prohibited firearm, if previously non-restricted, to hunt for the purposes of sustenance or to exercise a right recognized and affirmed by section 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982 (the Constitution). Individuals are no longer allowed to import the firearms listed in the Regulations. Affected owners will no longer be permitted to sell to individuals within Canada or use the prohibited firearms, and no transportation will be permitted except for the purposes described above. The firearms will have to be kept securely stored in accordance with the legal storage requirements for the classification of the specified firearms prior to their prohibition.

"What do you get for pretending the danger's not real?"
    - Sheep, Pink Floyd

I thought the US import ban was just for foreign made semi auto's, not domestic? Or is it all of them?

Maybe IRunGuns can clarrify section US Code Title 18 Chapter 44 section 925(d)(4) which says says:

d) The Attorney General shall authorize a firearm or ammunition to be imported or brought into the United States or any possession thereof if the firearm or ammunition—

(1) is being imported or brought in for scientific or research purposes, or is for use in connection with competition or training pursuant to chapter 751 of title 10;

(2) is an unserviceable firearm, other than a machinegun as defined in section 5845(b) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (not readily restorable to firing condition), imported or brought in as a curio or museum piece;

(3) is of a type that does not fall within the definition of a firearm as defined in section 5845(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 and is generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes, excluding surplus military firearms, except in any case where the Attorney General has not authorized the importation of the firearm pursuant to this paragraph, it shall be unlawful to import any frame, receiver, or barrel of such firearm which would be prohibited if assembled; or

(4) was previously taken out of the United States or a possession by the person who is bringing in the firearm or ammunition.

So if it was previously in the US (ie made in the US) can it be imported back into the US?

What about the "or a possession by the person who is bringing in the firearm or ammunition"? Does that mean someone moving to the US can bring their AR (or other firearms) with them? Or is it still a no go? I intend to move Stateside after university, it would be cool if I could take my AR with me, not sure what I'd do with it if I can't bring it with me, since I can't sell it anymore.

Also What about importing individual AR parts if they were all made in the US?

IRG, can you guys clarify this section of the law please?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve MKII View Post
    I thought the US import ban was just for foreign made semi auto's, not domestic? Or is it all of them?

Maybe IRunGuns can clarrify section US Code Title 18 Chapter 44 section 925(d)(4) which says says:

d) The Attorney General shall authorize a firearm or ammunition to be imported or brought into the United States or any possession thereof if the firearm or ammunition—

(1) is being imported or brought in for scientific or research purposes, or is for use in connection with competition or training pursuant to chapter 751 of title 10;

(2) is an unserviceable firearm, other than a machinegun as defined in section 5845(b) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (not readily restorable to firing condition), imported or brought in as a curio or museum piece;

(3) is of a type that does not fall within the definition of a firearm as defined in section 5845(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 and is generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes, excluding surplus military firearms, except in any case where the Attorney General has not authorized the importation of the firearm pursuant to this paragraph, it shall be unlawful to import any frame, receiver, or barrel of such firearm which would be prohibited if assembled; or

(4) was previously taken out of the United States or a possession by the person who is bringing in the firearm or ammunition.

So if it was previously in the US (ie made in the US) can it be imported back into the US?

What about the "or a possession by the person who is bringing in the firearm or ammunition"? Does that mean someone moving to the US can bring their AR (or other firearms) with them? Or is it still a no go? I intend to move Stateside after university, it would be cool if I could take my AR with me, not sure what I'd do with it if I can't bring it with me, since I can't sell it anymore.

Also What about importing individual AR parts if they were all made in the US?

IRG, can you guys clarify this section of the law please?
    That bolder section allows a citizen to reimport his firearm if it was temporarily exported (hunting trip abroad/competition etc)

Can't outrun this one fellas . Can only stick together. We outnumber LEO and military 18:1. Just gotta stick together

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pkitcheman View Post
    Can't outrun this one fellas . Can only stick together. We outnumber LEO and military 18:1. Just gotta stick together
    Yeah, but like JB, they're licensed to kill, we're not!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rommelrommel's Avatar
    I feel like they probably won't issue export permits regardless of where you try to send them anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by gallen270 View Post
    That bolder section allows a citizen to reimport his firearm if it was temporarily exported (hunting trip abroad/competition etc)
    Thanks. So does the import ban apply to all Semi Auto's then? Or only ones not made in America? Seems rather silly to ban the import of something that was made there and is legal, then again gun laws often don't make sense.

What about importing separate parts that were US made? Can you strip it down for parts and import everything except the upper and lower?

Quote Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
    I feel like they probably won't issue export permits regardless of where you try to send them anyways.
    Why wouldn't they? They want them out of the country one way or another. I'm happy to take mine with me when I leave (or at least what US law lets me import).

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rommelrommel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve MKII View Post
    Why wouldn't they? They want them out of the country one way or another. I'm happy to take mine with me when I leave (or at least what US law lets me import).
    They won’t give them for 12.2 thru 12.5 so I am doubtful they will on these either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123