Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Canada but not to firearms

New to Canada but not to firearms

Hi,

The company that I work for is relocating me to Canada on a temporary 2 year assignment. I've done a good deal of research but my situation is a bit different since I am not exactly an immigrant but an American going to Canada on a semi-temporary assignment.

I looked through my safe and the only gun in your non-restricted category would be my 18.5" Benelli M4 semi-automatic shotgun.

As a temporary inhabitant, non-immigrant, non Canadian citizen, am I allowed to apply for a "PAL" or some sort of possession license? I would like to take my Benelli M4 so I have something to shoot on the weekends . I don't intend to carry it in my vehicle or have it in my home for "home defense" like those rowdy Americans, I understand that's frowned upon in Canada.

I'm not in a rush, I don't necessary have to bring a gun with me as I enter Canada but my situation is a bit confusing .

Thanks

Welcome MK12, here is the link to the RCMP website that runs the firearms program here in Canada.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms

There are also many knowledgeable persons on CGN, so if you have any other questions fire away! Enjoy your stay.
    LEST WE FORGET
    I Will Not Seal My Fate Without a Fight, If You See Me Running, I Run To The Front.
    Member of NFA CCFR CSSA NRA DTOM CATI LEFTY MAFIA

Quote Originally Posted by 1ABNDT View Post
    Welcome MK12, here is the link to the RCMP website that runs the firearms program here in Canada.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms

There are also many knowledgeable persons on CGN, so if you have any other questions fire away! Enjoy your stay.
    Thanks, I've looked through that before. I didn't intend for information to be spoon fed to me but I am soooo confused. The information on the RCMP site is very clear if I was a Canadian permanently living in Canada, an American driving through Canada to get to Alaska or an American going there on a hunting trip. The pro-cess is pretty straight forward for those cases, but since I will be in Canada for a few years while not intending to emigrate there, my situation is a bit different.
    Last edited by MK12; 12-14-2019 at 02:27 AM.

Last edited by 1ABNDT; 12-14-2019 at 02:49 AM.
    LEST WE FORGET
    I Will Not Seal My Fate Without a Fight, If You See Me Running, I Run To The Front.
    Member of NFA CCFR CSSA NRA DTOM CATI LEFTY MAFIA

MK12, welcome to Kanada, Get your PAL and LTATT now you can legally break the law. Get a good club membership, even the provincial association of the DCRA, that gives you options. Bring lots of guns, buy some while you're here.
    CSSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by morggun View Post
    MK12, welcome to Kanada, Get your PAL and LTATT now you can legally break the law. Get a good club membership, even the provincial association of the DCRA, that gives you options. Bring lots of guns, buy some while you're here.
    I have no intention of breaking the law. While I would never go without firearms in my own country, I will respect the laws in the host country(Canada).

What is an LTATT?

As far as buying guns while I'm in Canada, I have all the guns I need back home. The only guns that spark curiousity up here are guns that are unavailable in The US because of import laws and handguns that are sought after back home, such as old Colt 1911's.
    Last edited by MK12; 12-18-2019 at 02:50 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Welcome!
    Hope you get it all sorted out.

I think with the current exchange rate you can get an SKS for about 2 cups of coffee!
    Ive heard those are a little harder to come by state side. (of course our are pinned to 5...)
    The best time to buy a gun was 40 years ago, the second best time is today.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TheCoachZed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MK12 View Post
    I have no intention of breaking the law.
    What he means is, owning a gun in Canada is against the law, a PAL is just the government saying it's OK for you to break the law. About as stupid as it gets.

Get yerself an SKS up here, and an SVT-40.

GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by MK12 View Post
    Thanks, I've looked through that before. I didn't intend for information to be spoon fed to me but I am soooo confused. The information on the RCMP site is very clear if I was a Canadian permanently living in Canada, an American driving through Canada to get to Alaska or an American going there on a hunting trip. The pro-cess is pretty straight forward for those cases, but since I will be in Canada for a few years while not intending to emigrate there, my situation is a bit different.
    Call the Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) run by RCMP and speak to a couple of people about your situation: 1-800-731-4000.

"A couple of people" just to make sure they provide the same info.

Thanks, will do. If that doesn't work I'll have to speak to a good attorney. In my country, gun shops and gun clubs are terrible places to get information on gun laws so I was under the impression the same was the case in Canada.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast